IU vs #2 Penn State (High School Day) Sunday, January 23 @ 1pm

We want to invite all high school coaches and wrestlers to University Gym Sunday, January 23 as we take on #2 Penn State. This match will serve as High School Day, where we will honor all high school coaches and wrestlers with FREE admission to the match. Coaches need to email their rosters to jdubuque@indiana.edu by 5pm thursday, January 20th. Thanks and see you at the match.

Go Hoosiers!

We tried to go to the Purdue Mizzou match on a Sunday during season, and were told by the IHSAA that we could not attend with coaches on a Sunday.

[/q

why ask for permission on this issue!!!!!!uote]

Real close to tourney time to be breaking rules.

Ok... So does that mean that high school football players need to stop going to see games...and basketball players...

You can guarantee that if I had the chance to see Iowa wrestle live when I was a high schooler, I was there... Went to see Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana... No contact with anyone from the schools... just sat...ate my popcorn and watched... Nothing beats seeing these guys for real...What about high school coaches getting the team together for trips to watch the NCAA Tournament?

Seems ridiculous that we have some of the best NCAA Wrestling in the country and we can't even take wrestlers to go see it? At some point these guys have to realize that not everyone's family can afford to take them to see stuff like this... I'd wager that a large majority of wrestling families in Indiana have very little expendable income and struggle just to get their kids to tournaments on the weekends.. Something like this comes along and we tell them no? Really? Why? Because the other 100 NCAA wrestling teams will complain that they didn't have a fair shot at recruiting a certain kid? Two things...one...It's called a pipeline state for a reason... (look at how beserk Iowans went when 4 timers Jay Borschel and Dan LeClere left Iowa for Va Tech), two... Just because a spectacular wrestler watches a certain team and grows up in a given area doesn't mean the whole pipeline state thing is a lock...For example Derek Garcia....4 timer from Washington's Sedro Wooley HS... Grew up with Boise St and Oregon St in his backyard...They loved this kid in the Pacnorwest...until he did the unthinkable and announced "Hey...I'm gonna be a Buckeye"

Bottom line is Indiana wrestlers have the opportunity to see top notch wrestling and we say no?

I Believe the IU coaches know what they are doing inviting high school kids going to watch wrestling. We are still going and it's fine with our A.D for our team to go. I'm pretty sure I would risk going even if it wasn't allowed. I have to watch DT wrestle in person. ;D

The rule states no contact withyour coach during the season on Sunday.  Wrestling season is over by NCAA final.

Since you are having no wrestling practice, no physical conditioning of any kind, no manditory team meeting, etc. I do not feel this is what the coaches contact guidelines was designed to do.  Or if it is it shouldn't be.  It's one thing to make it manditory or hold an actual practice, but all this comes down to is going to the same place to watch a college sporting event.  I see it as no different than a coach helping at a youth group outing at church, everyone meeting at the local food hotspot to watch some NFL games, or getting some of the members of the team to volunteer their time helping with a community service project.  Guess they will have to make seperate ropes off coaches section from the wrestlers section.  I'll be at the meet watching some solid wrestling.    Seems like the IHSAA has a few other issues to worry about with skin infections, weight managment interpretation issues, transfer issue .....not to mention the other winter sports going on make these type of "good will" events into a high priority witchhunt.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.