UFC, WEC Join Forces

devildog47959

UFC, WEC join forces starting in 2011

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=5737833

Come next year, World Extreme Cagefighting will be no more. Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White on Thursday announced that the WEC will merge with the UFC in 2011.

Well being the UFC organization was behind the WEC anyways it not that big of a change.  However now they have no excuse to now have decent UFC PPV every month with the additional weight classes and talent.  I feel they have enough weight classes and talent now to go as far as having a regular weekly one hour UFC Fight Night style TV show.  That would be a big jumping board to give the middle range guys more exposure as they move up the ranks and and also help promote the month PPV cards.  They could tape twice a month (allowing for enough fights to get it into a decent venue in Vegas) and divide the program in half so it can be shown once a week.  Almost the same type of setup the regular WEC card had done in the past which helped them grow.

I'm pretty excited about this merger.  As it's already been mentioned, this will provide better PPV cards because of the depth the UFC will now have.  It will also make the cards more exciting as the WEC routinely puts on great cards.  The WEC fighters will start getting more attention but will also bring some big names to the UFC (Faber, Torres, Aldo, Cruz, Henderson, Cerrone, etc.)

Works well for the WEC guys other than the lightweight division which had some WEC stars (Henderson, Varner, Cerone....) and now they have to hope to not be lost in the crowd of a talented UFC 155 division.

Works well for the WEC guys other than the lightweight division which had some WEC stars (Henderson, Varner, Cerone....) and now they have to hope to not be lost in the crowd of a talented UFC 155 division.

The UFC's lightweight division is very good, but it defnitely needs some new faces.  If Florian beats Dunham, are there any contenders left for the winner of Maynard-Edgar?  Not sure I'm ready to see Florian get another shot.

The UFC's lightweight division is very good, but it defnitely needs some new faces.  If Florian beats Dunham, are there any contenders left for the winner of Maynard-Edgar?  Not sure I'm ready to see Florian get another shot.

Winner of Edgar-Maynard will take on the WEC winner of Henderson-Pettis to unify the title.  I would assume then the next title defense would almost have to be against the winner of Florian-Dunham since no real other highly rated 155 fights are sloted to occur soon.

Winner of Edgar-Maynard will take on the WEC winner of Henderson-Pettis to unify the title.  I would assume then the next title defense would almost have to be against the winner of Florian-Dunham since no real other highly rated 155 fights are sloted to occur soon.

Totally agree...thats why I think it's great that the WEC and UFC merged.

Didn't urijah faber try to come to the UFC. Yeah there would be good match ups in some weight classes and would expand the weight classes and the unified titles would be a good thing.

Yes, Faber will be coming over to the UFC as well.  There are some rumors out there about a possible Faber-Torres fight.