Georges St. Pierre, can he be defeated at 170 pounds?

OBC

Anderson has also showed holes in his game. Henderson had a take down and controlled the first rd. Lutter took Silva down with ease, nasty elbows saved the Spider.

Who's to say GSP can't score the TD's and control the match?

Listen to what you're saying.  The worst you can come up with since Anderson entered the UFC and really came into his own is that he's been taken down.  In spite of the numerous challenges to his throne, he has been virtually untouchable and devastating with power and precision.  He brutally took out the reigning champion and then took him out again.  He took out Prides multiple division champion with a 2nd round finish.  At the time Henderson was considered one of the very best fighters in the world.  He decimated the former champ at 205, humiliating him and causing him to run back to the locker room area.  He crushed the long time King of Pancreas.  The list goes on and on.  Silva has demonstrated that he is simply the very best fighter in the world IMO and if GSP were to take him down, he would find himself in the figure 4 guard and being elbowed from the bottom.  As good as GSP is, just 1 heat seeking missle from Anderson would have him thinking Matt Serra all over again. 

Here's Dana White talking about GSP and if he should move up to 185

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Here's Dana White talking about GSP and if he should move up to 185

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Man I was OK with at least considering your argument until your final point was listen to what Dana White has to say about it.  Then I tried to listen to it (against my better judgments) and gave up after the 5th F-Bombs started flying.   Hello Dana it doesn't add anything to your argument.  Plus do we not recall a few of the last Silva fight where he came in laxidazical agaisnt mid-range fighter.  Yeah he won but heck he even made them look like like they were decent fighters for awhile.  So its not like Silva is destroying everyone without breaking a sweat.  You can't say a ready to go GSP couldn't contend with some of those same guys if Silva did it without caring much about the fight. 

I'm not going to say GSP will beat Silva but I think he could compete against some good fighters at that weight.   I believe it would be a challege to deal with the weight/power if it was a long gruelling fight.  However, I also believe if GSP had a solid gameplan to work around this problem he could hold his own and even find some oppertunities to finish the fight.  Sure their will always be missmatches between different opponents.  However, not all of them are because of a size difference.  If you find the right skill matchups for GSP I think he could be competative at the next weight and would be even more competative if they met at a "catch weight" (in-between weight).

MattM I thi k you took my post wrong.  The Dana White video wasn't to support my case, it was to show that he is not interested in making that fight.  We have it straight from the horses mouth that that's not a fight he wants to make.  So with that said, that's why I bring up other opponents from GSP at 185 and I agree with you.  I would expect GSP to be competitive with all of them.  if I thought it would be mismatches, I wouldn't want to see them, (case in point GSP vs Silva, I don't want to see that fight).  I don't believe that GSP would be competitive and I dont have any interest in seeing him beaten to a pulp.  I want to see fights that could go either way.  That's the point I've been trying to make.   

Not trying to troll anyone.  I believe Anderson Silva would smash GSP.  That's what I believe.  Dana White feels the same way.  GSP does not seem interested in the fight either.  That's my position on that match up.

I also feel that GSP has cleaned out the welterweight division for all intents and purposes and would love to see him move up.  That would be complimenting GSP

I named 5 guys that I think would be tremendous tests and entertaining fights.  Again a compliment to GSP that I want to see him 5 top guys in the enxt weight class up.  IMO GSP would have his hands full with each one and I can see each of those guys beating him.  I'm being realistic.  i don't see any insult or reason to feel trolled. 

I believe the problem here is GSP nuthuggery defensiveness.  If someone perceives that the great GSP could possibly be challenged in the next weight class up when he's been defeated and severely pushed by guys coming up from 155, the statements must be outrageous.   

I don't think he's trolling at all. He's held the belief that Silva is just a bad matchup for GSP for a while, and although I don't fully agree, it's a defensible position.

OBC, do you have any comments on GSP's gynomastia?

The gyno is something that i wish he would get addressed already.  A simple surgical procedure will address it quickly and easily enough, or arimadex, (sp?) will do the trick as well.  it just looks bad, like a low level steroid user.   

• 2 weeks later...

Man Anderson was so dominate last night, so fluid, very Kalib Starnesish in his title defense.  For as much as people want to blast GSP for his fighting style, Silva's last 3 title defenses have been lack luster at best. He has severly underproduced in fights with Leites, Cote, and now Maia. Spider is afraid to engage BJJ/ground fighters.

GSP would have wiped the mat with Silva last night. Spider's only chance with GSP would be at 205, that's the only weight where Spider decides to show up for fights. 

Silva is simply uninspired to work hard at defending his title.  He's basically turning into the type of fighter BJ Penn usually is.  Unless you give him a really good reason to get prepared for a fight physically and mentally for a fight he will just mail in the training and squeek out an average victory.  Sure a lot of it has to do with the lack of quality opponents for him to face, but it still disappointing to watch a lack luster preformance.  This carefree approach may eventually catch up to him against the right fighter as it has from Penn in the past.

Silva is simply uninspired to work hard at defending his title.  He's basically turning into the type of fighter BJ Penn usually is.  Unless you give him a really good reason to get prepared for a fight physically and mentally for a fight he will just mail in the training and squeek out an average victory.  Sure a lot of it has to do with the lack of quality opponents for him to face, but it still disappointing to watch and may eventually catch up to him against the right fighteras it has from Penn in the past.

Agreed.  The UFC is as much to blame as Silva.  Cote, Leites, and Maia should never have fought for the belt.  I would have loved to see Hendo one more time against Silva.  Belfort is the only legitimate contender for Silva at 185, although I would love for him to fight Marquardt again.  He just needs to move up to 205 full time.

Man Anderson was so dominate last night, so fluid, very Kalib Starnesish in his title defense.  For as much as people want to blast GSP for his fighting style, Silva's last 3 title defenses have been lack luster at best. He has severly underproduced in fights with Leites, Cote, and now Maia. Spider is afraid to engage BJJ/ground fighters.

GSP would have wiped the mat with Silva last night. Spider's only chance with GSP would be at 205, that's the only weight where Spider decides to show up for fights. 

Anderson has indeed become as underwhelming as GSP.  I am very disappointed that we now have both Anderson and GSP doing only what it takes to secure a W and not really bringing the fight that the fans want to see.  I already didn't want to see the Silva/GSP fight because of what Anderson might do to Georges, but now I really don't want to see it because they might be liable to give us Severn/Shamrock II revisited.  I am disgusted. 

GSP & SILVA are on a different level... they both dominate there weight classes and neither will be challenged if they stay there.. GSP needs to go up to 185 but i think he would still dominate that weight class without silva there, silva needs to go up 205 clean out that division then think about the heavy weight division.. i would love to see a GSP vs SILVA fight, i think it would 1 of the best if not the best/ most viewed fight in UFC history... its prolly 2 years away but dana knows that what the fans want 2 see and i think he will get the fight done.

I'd like to see a GSP vs. Silva match up at 185 lbs.  Though I do not think GSP could beat Silva, however I do think GSP would give Silva all he wants before Silva's size and strength advantage would overtake GSP.  If Silva moved to 205 pounds to challenge for that crown, Lyota Machada, who is the current champ, would be Silva.  Machada looks like he will take control of the 205 pound division in the UFC.

• 4 weeks later...

I like Fitch, but he's still not beating GSP.

The only match left at 170 for GSP is Koscheck.  GSP needs to fight someone who at least has a legitimate wrestling background and can stop GSP's takedowns.  I think Koscheck is the only guy in that division who even has a shot at stopping them. 

After Koscheck beats Daley, look for that to be his next title match. 

Smoothstradomus....