Off-season weight lifting workouts

agirod

Most of castles kids play another sport so many of them just lift with their perspective sports.

However if you have a gym in your area, for about $50 a lot of personal trainers can design and give you a weight lifting program. And once you burn out on that you can go back there and they can give you an alternate workout

I would go ask Zach McCray what he does and follow it to a T.

Just know, the bigger the muscles...the more oxygen you need to get those muscles to function properly.

I'm not saying McCray wasn't in good shape, in fact I was really impressed with him this weekend. 

Most of castles kids play another sport so many of them just lift with their perspective sports.

However if you have a gym in your area, for about $50 a lot of personal trainers can design and give you a weight lifting program. And once you burn out on that you can go back there and they can give you an alternate workout

PAY $50 BUCKS A MONTH??

No way, this is INDIANA.  Here's what you do.  Tell your wrestler to go to a local farmer and ask if he'd be willing to pay your wrestler $1 per hour for him to do manual labor.  I guarantee that by the end of the summer, your wrestler may not look like McCray, but he will possess freakish strength.  And, best of all, the wrestler makes a little spending money.

mccray and willis both looked like beasts.  i'd say you can get that big but you better be working your butt off in the weight room and you more than likely will need to be taking some supplements, all legal of course which you can pick up from GNC amongst other places.

PAY $50 BUCKS A MONTH??

No way, this is INDIANA.  Here's what you do.  Tell your wrestler to go to a local farmer and ask if he'd be willing to pay your wrestler $1 per hour for him to do manual labor.  I guarantee that by the end of the summer, your wrestler may not look like McCray, but he will possess freakish strength.  And, best of all, the wrestler makes a little spending money.

no pay it once to get the workout program and loft at your school

no pay it once to get the workout program and loft at your school

Never pay for a workout...there are many great things out there especially on the internet. I would reccommend Crossfit to wrestlers because it works the body much in the same way that wrestling does while still focusing on cardio and it changes everyday so kids will not get burnt out on the same things over and over again. I am also a firm believer in a difference in weight strong and wrestling strong. There is no substitute for lifting a human body like lifting a human body. This can be done year round with freestyle and greco lifts from the mat and in folkstyle by many different drills like buddy carries, wheel barrels, double legs to a lift, and many more. If you do choose to become a gym rat i would recommend a regiment of pyramid lifts to that you are lifting for both strength and endurance.

There is also a book called "The Ultimate Guide to Weight Training for Wrestling by Robert G. Price". You can get it through Amazon for about $10 to $15. I bought it for Sean a few years back. He didn't use it much, but it stress flexibility and core strength. Pretty good stuff!

A couple of other noteworthy books are "The Effects and Risks of Extreme Weight Loss on the Body of a Wrestler: A Report of a Senior Study by Joseph C. Gunter" & "The Arsenal: The Wrestler's Training Log by Alan Fried and Nicholas Rizzo".

See you guys thought i was just a stupid hillbilly with a pretty face. I can actually read!

Strongman equipment is hard to come by, but if anyone has been thrown for 5, or taken a ride with a reverse body lock by my son, then you'll know the secret is core strength.  Tire flips, Atlas stones, sledge hammer drills, sled drags...all complimentary to a traditional weight training regimen.  Super setting the odd lifts makes for a real butt kicker of a workout!!!

Never pay for a workout...there are many great things out there especially on the internet. I would reccommend Crossfit to wrestlers because it works the body much in the same way that wrestling does while still focusing on cardio and it changes everyday so kids will not get burnt out on the same things over and over again.

Just wanted to back this point up a bit.  Crossfit is great for cardio and also mixes in olympic lifts as well.  Some days you will be doing high rep lifts one after another to really hit the cardio.  Other days you do sets of heavy dead lifts or cleans.  Most workouts can be finished in less than 20 minutes.

http://www.crossfit.com/

remember these words.....CORE STRENGTH.....this acheived by not only doing the traditional types of weight training but adding in some newer (yet actually very old) training methods....the newest fad is kettlebells.....if trained properly by a qualified intructor, this can be a fantastic way to gain core strength....paying for personalized training or small group training is essential to getting the most out of your workout.....anyone who tells you different hasn't ever worked with a trainer.....most people will not push themselves like a trainer will......think of it the same as paying to go to CIA or any of the other top wrestling programs......no one has a problem with that......becasue they know the instruction and work ethic is what their kids need.....same with strength training......we have a place in Osceola Indiana called RockStar Kettlebell Gym that trains young athletes of all sports.....wrestling, baseball, football, softball......boys and girls......they go through workouts that include kettlebells, tire flipping, sledge hammers, agility drills among many other training techniques. the instructors there are all certified and do an awesome job at getting these kids in top notch shape. There is no substitue for proper instruction in this area. Yeah you can buy a book or get a routine off the internet but very few if any kids will push themselves day in day out to do full complete workouts by themselves or with their buddies.....

Do legal supplementation. Our weightlifting coach stresses the use of supplements in the off season. For example, I take creatine monohydrate and the collegiate form of muscle milk  :) yum yum.. Lifting 4-5 days a week in the off season is huge..

what is the "collegiate form of muscle milk"?  keystone light?

You can find a lot of good workout videos at http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/workouts Most of these workouts are designed by collegiate strength coaches who know what they are talking about. There are a lot of videos on there from many college teams around the country such as Iowa, Navy, Wisconsin, and many more. Hope you find something you like and that suits your team goals.

remember these words.....CORE STRENGTH.....this acheived by not only doing the traditional types of weight training but adding in some newer (yet actually very old) training methods....the newest fad is kettlebells.....if trained properly by a qualified intructor, this can be a fantastic way to gain core strength....paying for personalized training or small group training is essential to getting the most out of your workout.....anyone who tells you different hasn't ever worked with a trainer.....most people will not push themselves like a trainer will......think of it the same as paying to go to CIA or any of the other top wrestling programs......no one has a problem with that......becasue they know the instruction and work ethic is what their kids need.....same with strength training......we have a place in Osceola Indiana called RockStar Kettlebell Gym that trains young athletes of all sports.....wrestling, baseball, football, softball......boys and girls......they go through workouts that include kettlebells, tire flipping, sledge hammers, agility drills among many other training techniques. the instructors there are all certified and do an awesome job at getting these kids in top notch shape. There is no substitue for proper instruction in this area. Yeah you can buy a book or get a routine off the internet but very few if any kids will push themselves day in day out to do full complete workouts by themselves or with their buddies.....

Agreed.  Kettleballs seem to be the newest rage.

All you really need is a little blood, sweat, and tears.

I have 2 good ones for you.  1) P90x...amazing results in 90 days...3 different options with this workout.

2) Crossfit...goto the website and watch some of these workouts. These workouts are SICK!

Crossfit.com    you will strengthen your core for sure!

Wrestlers do not need strictly resistance training.  They need mobility training as well.  Wrestlers have some of the worst movement patterns in the history of man, which is all due to muscle imbalances and structural and postural deviations.  The issue with many generic workouts lies in their training ratios.  To much focus to the anterior chain, what is seen in a mirror, and not enough attention/focus/muscle activation to the posterior chain, what is not seen in a mirror.  It's all about the show muscles versus the go muscles.  Most high school strength coaches have wrecked kids because they do the typical workout they got out of a magazine they think has been the "cat's meow" for 20 years.  We don't use the same TV's, phones, or computers we used 20 yeras ago, but coaches give kids 20 year old workouts.  Wrestlers need to train functionally, they need to be on their feet, they need to be in unfamiliar "situations," and they need to be progressed and overloaded with each session.  The body makes maximum gains when it is in a constant state of stimulation.  Functional training focuses on training movements whereas traditional modalities train muscles, training the entire body with each movement versus training a single joint muscle action.  Sandbags, Tires, Suspension Training, Kettlebells, Dumbbells, Deadlifts, Body Weight Training, Ropes, and mobility training are what wrestlers need.  Mobility training will make their lateral movement on the mat deadly.  Certain forms of release are also necessary.  The body is the king of adaptation.  Movement patterns develop in muscles along the same tensile lines.  Every time a movement takes place a tensile line of scar tissue develops in a muscle.  That scar tissue negatively impacts movement.  Breaking down that scar tissue with active release or foam rolling will engage the first step of breaking down a movement pattern to build it back properly.  The next step is lower body muscle activation training coupled with total body training ratios and imbalances will be fixed to optimize performance.

Adrian Panko, www.pankostrengthandspeed.com

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.