Mikey Witous

NDFAN

Medical condition causes inspirational Penn senior to give up wrestling

Penn's Mikey Witous has battled dwarfism to become one of the best wrestlers in the state at 103 pounds. He was set to walk-on to the Purdue wrestling team in the fall. But instead, he learned this week he won't ever be able to wrestle again.

Posted: 10:30 PM Jan 20, 2010

Reporter: Angelo Di Carlo

Email Address: angelo.dicarlo@wndu.com

Penn's Mikey Witous has gone through a lot in life.

The senior stands just 4'6" tall and he suffers from dwarfism. As a child he had two surgeries to straighten out his legs and unrelated to his condition, he began suffering from epilepsy at age 15.

And he's battled through it all to become one of the toughest people Penn wrestling coach Brad Harper knows.

Witous has grown into a star on the wrestling mat as one of the best grapplers at 103 pounds in the state. In fact, he was set to become a preferred walk-on for the Purdue wresting team in the fall.

But during a week that should have been one for celebration, Witous received devastating news.

Recently, he's been experiencing extreme pain in his back and numbness in his legs. He thought it was just because of wrestling and didn't tell anyone. But on Monday, things got worse and it wasn't going away.

He told his mom and they went to the emergency room on Tuesday where an MRI revealed Witous had severe spinal stenosis, a complication of dwarfism.

Doctors told Witous if he ever wrestled again, he risked becoming paralyzed.

The news came one night before Senior night and two nights before his 18th birthday. Just like that--Mikey's wrestling career was over.

"It's killing me to have to watch these guys wrestle and for me to have to sit on the bench," Mikey said before Wednesday's senior night. "But I know it's really hurting my mom and dad."

As it turns out, Mikey is taking the news the best out of everyone. His toughness is inspiring.

"I've cried buckets of tears for the last 24 hours," his mom Sheila explains. "I'm so proud of him for the way he responds to these types of situations. It's made him my hero, he's my hero."

Mikey's coach feels the same way.

"Mikey will overcome it just like the other battles he's had in his life," coach Harper says. "For some reason this has happened to Mike, but he's a hero. He's a hero on our team, our kids look up to him and its sad."

Mikey is very disappointed he won't live his dream and wrestle at Purdue next year. But he's keeping things in perspective and staying positive.

He says he understands it could have been a lot worse and one more match could have been very dangerous for him. His family is very thankful they caught things when they did.

And that's what made senior night so bittersweet. As Mikey walked out with his mom and dad, they were sad thinking about what has happened but happy reflecting on what Mikey has already achieved.

Mikey was the last wrestler introduced to the crowd. Coach Harper took the mic and explained why Mikey would no longer be able to wrestle. Harper didn't really know what to say, but he knew he wanted Mikey to feel everyone's love and appreciation.

Mikey then received a standing ovation from the crowd in attendance. With Witous on the bench cheering on, Penn went on to defeat Washington 68-0.

And Witous will be right there with his teammates the rest of the way. He says he won't miss a practice or a match and will serve as a coach for those in the lower weight classes.

As he continues to battle, Mikey will likely stay closer to home for college instead of going to Purdue. That's something that will keep his mom happy.

And while Mikey will never wrestle again, he's already proven he'll be a fighter for the rest of his life.

We'll have much more on Mikey's battle on Newscenter 16 at 5 on Thursday.

We have only had a short time to get to know Mike and his family.

He has truly been a hard working & inspirational wrestler.

Mike and his family are all a class act group of people.

We are deeply saddened that Mike can't continue wrestling but we are grateful he will still be able to be a part of the Penn team.

Coach Wilk and I just got back from Valpo tonight to read this and I have tears in my eyes as I read this, and I dont' know if Coach Wilk even knows this, so all I can say is I have had this young man on the mat from the time he was in junior high school, and it is what is great about the sport of wrestling. In no other sport can you find people no matter what they're size having a spot in the line up where no one can say sorry your to small, or we don't have a spot for you young man. Mikey your in the wrestling family and only a wreslter can understand what that means, we are a strange fraternity, it was an honor being on the  same mat with you, and raising you hand in victory, and even the way you handled yourself in defeat which I might say wasn't very often.

So the next time we are having a bad day get up off your butt and remember this, and get out there and do something about it.

I am a better person because of young men like you, Mikey thanks for letting me share the mat with you. Enough said 

While it's tragic that Mike's condition prematurely ended his wrestling career, let's keep in mind that it was caught before a life-altering injury occurred and let's be glad we're not discussing a paralyzed wrestler but rather a shortened career. 

While it's tragic that Mike's condition prematurely ended his wrestling career, let's keep in mind that it was caught before a life-altering injury occurred and let's be glad we're not discussing a paralyzed wrestler but rather a shortened career. 

X2

A tough blow for a kid who is a class act. I have seen him wrassle a number of times and he has impressed the ole rat. Take the lesson who have learned from the worlds greatest sport and use them the rest of your life. Good luck on your educational persuits,

Da Rat

I also had to finish reading the article through the tears.  Mike is, and always has been one of my personal favorite wrestlers to watch compete in this sport.  Going all the way back to the club days and Middle School it has been inspirational to watch the progress Mikey has made to one of the top wrestlers in the state in his weight class.  A great example of dedication, hard work and the results from both.  Mikey and his family are prime examples of this "family" and "fraternity" we speak of...genuine, great people who make a positive impact on all they come into contact with.  Mikey will continue to lead his team from matside,  the respect and admiration that he has earned from those around him speaks for itself....and I too believe that God has great plans for Mike Witous. 

The Sandefer Family

Hey Mikey, 

I had the "nail biting" pleasure of watching you wrestle my son Cameron Halsted  in a couple  close matches  in the past, and I was impressed each time by your determination and positive attitude.  Just remember that when one door closes, many more will open for you.  No one can take away the lessons you learned over your successful career,  and you will continue to benefit from them.  I'm sure you will be a great help to  the sport and your teammates in many other ways.  Hang in there buddy. 

Dan Halsted

Mikey although small in stature you always do everything in a big way!  We are certain this will be no different!Your attitude and strength in this is a inspirational story in itself.  Thank-you Mikey you are a true champion --good luck your path is not clear but your success is certain.

The Hildebrandt Family

X2

Class act.  This is just one more challenge that I am sure he will welcome with the same bright attitude he brings to the daily challenges he faces.  There aren't enough kids like him.  He has an incredible amount of gifts to offer. 

Mikey, you are destined to do great things.  I look forward to hearing much more about your future successes.  You have made lots of fans on the mat.  I am sure you will make many more in the next chapter of your life. 

Watching you mature as a wrestler has been an inspiring blessing to me, and many others, I'm sure.  Keep going!

Hi Everyone

This is me Mikey.  I just want to thank everyone for supporting me and my family through these tough times. Your support has made a huge difference, and is one of the reasons why wrestling is the greatest sport ever. I'm doing fine and I will stay an active member of the wrestling community for a long time to come.

Mikey

Hi Everyone

This is me Mikey.  I just want to thank everyone for supporting me and my family through these tough times. Your support has made a huge difference, and is one of the reasons why wrestling is the greatest sport ever. I'm doing fine and I will stay an active member of the wrestling community for a long time to come.

Mikey

http://www.wndu.com/highschoolsports/headlines/82216182.html

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.