TEC or PIN

monkeywrestler

I agree that a tech is total dominance...one does not happen upon a tech or get a lucky tech. some falls come from last ditch efforts and manuvers. Techs take work and skill to complete. I also agree that a tech is a better goal than getting pinned for the teams sake even though it is hard to stomach sometimes...it says a lot about ones character not quiting and giving up the fall.

It all depends really. If you got a mediocre  kid facing the other teams stud, a Tec is better than a pin. It shows that the kid fought his butt off for his team. Even though it was only 1 point.

Or it shows the other kid kept cutting  him ,making a game of cat and mouse out of it.  Pin over tech  any day.

All a tech shows, the majoraty of the time is, the kid is good on his feet.  Many times during a tech, all you see is the dominante wrestler, taking him down and letting him up.  Every once in a while,  the kid will maybe tilt for a cheap 2 or 3 back.  If you can take a man down break him flat then over power him, turn him and pin him.  That shows dominance!  I understand that we are in the age of free style, but if a pin didn't show more dominance, then why do we score it higher?

A pin gets the crowd and teammates fired up, just like a home run in baseball, and gets the adrenaline pumping.  A tech is many times boring to watch because you often have a dominate wrestler taking down, cutting, then taking down.  However, as the kid on the short end of the score, a tech is better since he is usually giving 100% and is preventing the pin.

All a tech shows, the majoraty of the time is, the kid is good on his feet.  Many times during a tech, all you see is the dominante wrestler, taking him down and letting him up.  Every once in a while,  the kid will maybe tilt for a cheap 2 or 3 back.  If you can take a man down break him flat then over power him, turn him and pin him.  That shows dominance!  I understand that we are in the age of free style, but if a pin didn't show more dominance, then why do we score it higher?

Why would a tilt be "cheap"? Technically I love to see a kid that can pile up points ala the 2006? version of Dustin Schlater. I watched him tech Trepeli of Illinois in the Big Ten final as a freshman, didn't get scored on all day, one of the most dominating performances I've ever seen without a single pin. Against some of the best NCAA wrestlers in the country.

From a team perspective maybe pin is better, stokes the whole team more than a tech. but from an individual stand point wouldn't you like a kid to be a scoreing machine? I would tend to agree that anyone can get caught on their back, stud or not.

Takedown, tilt for 3, tilt for 2 X 2 + esc. = match over, no cuts = total domination.

Wrestling has helped me with my math too. ;D

A pin is now...and always will be ... the ONLY acceptable type of fall to strive for in my book.

The addition of the tech fall years ago was an interesting addition as it does add another facet to the scoring and the "stats game that wrestling is.  But a PIN is where it's at.

I think we have all seen kids who have walked onto the mat and just sought to score as many points as possible and given up great opportunities pin.  Now THAT drives me nuts!

But that's one man's opinion.

Takedown, tilt for 3, tilt for 2 X 2 + esc. = match over, no cuts = total domination.

Wrestling has helped me with my math too. ;D

Not so much. Your example here amounts to only 10 points; a technical fall is +15. ::)

I believe it all depends upon the situation as to what is more impressive. A superior wrestler cutting an inferior opponent and running up the score is not necessarily that impressive. Likewise, a superior wrestler pinning a much inferior opponent is also not that impressive. But say in the state finals, someone like Andrew Howe, teching everyone, is exceptionally impressive, and I believe more so than pinning the same opponents. It simply shows technical superiority. This is not to say pinning those opponents would not be impressive, but scoring at will is a step above.

From a team stand point, you always want the 6, but tech falls tend to impress me more, though as a coach I would gladly take either one.

Not trying to argue, just an opinion

you guys all make great arguements but take all that and look at as the kid that got pinned or teched. it has to be more embarracing being tec falled unless you just go out there and fall on your back. that really bad. but you can just get caught in a cradle out of position you know.

If you can tech fall a guy then more than likely you can pin him!  Go for the pin and save you energy for the next match!

Jimtown138 states the best point!

Fall = 6 points

Tech Fall = 5 points

I disagree with this. I had some guys on my team that could not pin anyone, but had great takedowns. Therefor he had more tecs then pins. I dont not he exact  number

Personally I prefer pins, however, a tech does look more dominating.  From a team stand point a coach wants pins every time.  But a tech shows total control and dominance most of the time.  I think a great example is that really good 165lber at Wisconsin from Hanover Central, Andrew Howe, I would almost guarantee he could have pinned everyone he wrestled but instead decided to tech them.  With that being said I give props to Duckworth not getting tech'd or pinned by Howe as a sophomore in the finals is amazing. 

I preferred pinning my opponent in a tournament so I could keep my energy and reset.  But, I would cut often when I was working on a new move, and then would go for the pin just before the tech fall.  One time I didn't get the pin in time, and our team ended up losing by 1 point.  Coach never let me live it down!

All a tech shows, the majoraty of the time is, the kid is good on his feet.  Many times during a tech, all you see is the dominante wrestler, taking him down and letting him up.  Every once in a while,  the kid will maybe tilt for a cheap 2 or 3 back.  If you can take a man down break him flat then over power him, turn him and pin him.  That shows dominance!  I understand that we are in the age of free style, but if a pin didn't show more dominance, then why do we score it higher?

Cheap? I agree the object of wrestling is to pin your opponent. Correct me if I'm wrong but exposing your opponents back to the mat for near fall points is hardly cheap. In college a pin or tech is a rare commodity. Wrestling on your feet or getting a "cheap" turn can be the difference. Wrestling well on your feet can be huge, especially if your opponent is bigger and/or stronger!

As someone stated earlier: Pin = 6 points, TF = 5 points    If the TF were better, it would be worth more.  Giving up a TF rather than a pin can be the difference in your team winning or losing a dual meet.                     

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.