Results

cdpd8b

Great to see Tasha getting great Varsity experience.  She will only improve as the year goes on!!

Demi Strub is wrestling Varsity at 130 for East Central this year.  It would be great to see those two wrestling in a meet!!  EC's first meet is Dec. 5th.

Hopefully, Tasha will be involved this coming spring and summer with the women's competitions!!!

Everyone, keep those HS Women results coming in !!!!

Darren Strub

ISWA Women's Director 

• 2 weeks later...

Tasha places 4th at North Montgomery JV Invite........Schools in attendance, Zionsville, Cathedral,Fischers,Fountain Central,Danville,Lebanon,Western Boone,TriWest,McCutheon,Evansville Memorial,Crawfordsville,Southmont,Frankfort,South Vermillion,Lafayette Jefferson

Great Job Tasha!

Demi Strub had a tough day wrestling Varsity at 130 at the Harrison, Ohio Duals.  She had a couple close matches; lost 12-10 in OT and 2-0.  Very tough day going 0-5.  East Central schedules very tough matches early in the season.  We'll continue with the results!

Anyone other Indiana women HS results??  Please Post

Darren Strub

ISWA Women's Director

Sarah Hildebrandt wrestled varsity 103 this week for Penn High School.  She went 6-0 for the week and won the Charger Invite at Elkhart Memorial this week-end.  The South Bend Tribune covered the story --see below

High school wrestling: Penn female dominates field

By TIM CREASON

Tribune Correspondent

ELKHART ? Gender equity took on a whole new meaning Saturday at the prestigious Jim Nicholson wrestling invitational.

Sarah Hildebrandt, you see, was far more than just equal when she stepped on the mat to wrestle in the 103-pound weight class.

The Penn High School junior dominated her male opponents, pinning two of them and sweeping easy decisions from two others on her way to the tournament championship.

Yes, championship.

And her success helped jump-start her teammates, as No. 14-ranked Penn rolled to a 149-point victory in the eight-team battle at Elkhart Memorial.

"I've been training real hard and I really wanted to win," said Hildebrandt, who now stands 6-0 in varsity matches. "It makes me feel good to help our team win, too."

Hildebrandt earned her spot in the lineup after Penn's regular 103-pounder, Michael Witous, had problems making weight. But she quickly proved she belongs there, pinning Cory Kiser of Northridge and Logan Edwards of Elkhart Central to open Saturday's tournament, and whipping Elkhart Memorial's Cody Flickinger, 12-0, in the championship round.

"Sarah is the hardest-working wrestler on our team," said Penn coach Brad Harper. "She knows she has to train extra hard to beat the boys, and she does it.

"The girl is intense. But she's also earned the respect of all the boys on our team. Nobody questions how good she is or how hard she works."

Hildebrandt was one of seven Penn champs on the day. The Kingsmen totaled 468 points and scored a surprisingly easy victory over No. 16 Elkhart Memorial (319) and Jimtown (301), wrapping up their title before the final round began.

Then again, Elkhart Memorial was missing three starters with health issues, including the state's No. 6-ranked 152-pounder, Zach Corpe. So maybe it wasn't such a surprise.

"It's hard to get up for a close meet when you know your No. 1 gun is out of the lineup," said Charger coach Brian Seltzer, whose only champ was 215-pounder Shane Hendrickson. "Still, we have a bunch of guys who need to start picking it up.

"They are, like, 'Oh, there's only 30 seconds left and I'm losing. I better do something.' I lost count of all the one- and two-point matches we lost today."

Penn's other champs included Trevor Manspeaker (130), Grant Anglemeyer (140), Pat Davenport (145), Austin Kunze (160), Andy Wiseman (171) and Alex Gregory (125), currently ranked No. 6 in his weight class.

"I'm trying to prove a point that last year wasn't a fluke," said Gregory, who finished fourth at state last season in the 112-pound class. "I want to show that I'm the dominant wrestler when I go out on the mat."

Gregory went 5-0. So did Riley's Timmy Buckingham, who kept his undefeated streak alive with a title at 189.

"I'm more dedicated than I was last year," said Buckingham, who pounded Elkhart Memorial's Carson Sappington, 12-3, in the final round. "I feel like I can handle about anything. (Wrestlers) try to muscle me, but it's all right, I can handle it."

The Nicholson Invitational relies on a unique combination of dual-meet and tournament scoring to determine a winner. Individual placings are determined by seeded brackets where, sometimes, a wrestler with more losses will finish ahead of another wrestler with fewer.

Jimtown's champs included 135-pound Jeremy Hill, and Eric Forrest at heavyweight. Concord's Steven Ross (119) and Chris Hogendobler (152) also claimed titles.

27th ANNUAL JIM NICHOLSON WRESTLING INVITATIONAL

At Elkhart

TEAM SCORES: PENN 468, ELKHART MEMORIAL 319, JIMTOWN 301, RILEY 265, CONCORD 216, MUNCIE SOUTH 215, ELKHART CENTRAL 212, NORTHRIDGE 159.

TOP 4 FINISHERS BY WEIGHT

103: 1, Sarah Hildebrandt (Penn) 5-0. 2, Cody Flickinger (EM) 3-2. 3, Tyler Rigney (Muncie S) 3-2. 4, Logan Edwards (EC) 2-3.

I had the opportunity to watch Demi wrestle this weekend at PHHS.    OUTSTANDING!!  More wrestling like this and the boys will be the ones bangin' the door down to get IHSAA to approve women's wrestling in Indiana... cuz they'll get tired of gettin' beat and gettin' razzed!!  :)

Demi Strub had a pretty good week.  Going 4-2 (3-2 at New Castle). 

We got to see Sarah Schlechtweg from Rushville while at New Castle.  She is currently out due to injury.  Hopefully, she will be back wrestling very soon.