T.U.F.

D-train

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone still watching this show?

Only a couple more fights until the quarterfinals begin.  Yes, they are all out of shape, but I have been impressed with how hard these big guys hit.  I'm anxious to see how Marcus does in his first fight.  His talent seems all raw, but the dude is humongous and I would NOT want to be caught by one of those punches.

I'm also curious as to how they're going to do matchups for the 2nd round if Rampage loses every one of his fighters during the first round matches.  I've been very impressed by Rashad's demeanor and outlook through the entire show.  Kudos to Rampage's crew on the humorous sign though.

And, I think Big Country is going to be tough to beat.  Maybe Madsen can get him, not sure if anyone else could do it that I've seen so far.

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know to root for Matt Mitrione.  I know he didn't look great in his first fight the other night, but he is very raw.  He played a year or two in the NFL, but had to give it up because of an injury.  Since leaving football, he got into MMA, and he now lives in Indy and trains with us at Integrated Fighting, so back up the local boy.

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know to root for Matt Mitrione.  I know he didn't look great in his first fight the other night, but he is very raw.  He played a year or two in the NFL, but had to give it up because of an injury.  Since leaving football, he got into MMA, and he now lives in Indy and trains with us at Integrated Fighting, so back up the local boy.

I know he sure can take a punch. Really needs to work on cardio. I also know what happens his next match, as he is a friend, or a friend of mine.

Don't know if it's mostly due to editing or what, but Mitrione comes off as a head case.  I've been extremely impressed by the coaching that Evans has been doing, and when you hear him repeatedly telling Matt that he is being stupid, it makes me wonder if he is blowing a golden opportunity to establish ties with some of the best professionals in the business.

For those of you that know him personally, I'd be really interested in his take on the experience.  Is the pressure getting to him, is his sense of humor being misinterpreted, or what is going on?  I am still cheering for the guy since he's an Indiana guy, but he's not making it easy.

NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Marcus is one big, scary dude!  His standup looked horrible, but man if he gets his hands on somebody, they better get away QUICK.

For the quarterfinals, I'm predicting these guys will win (if you know who wins, no spoilers please):

Big Country Nelson

Marcus Jones

James McSweeney

Jon Madsen

NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Marcus is one big, scary dude!  His standup looked horrible, but man if he gets his hands on somebody, they better get away QUICK.

For the quarterfinals, I'm predicting these guys will win (if you know who wins, no spoilers please):

Big Country Nelson

Marcus Jones

James McSweeney

Jon Madsen

As long as Nelson doesn't win, it doesn't matter to me.

although Nelson's got MUCH more experience, I think Marcus would be the toughest matchup for Big Country.  Seems like with everyone else, Nelson is going to take his time, get them down and then use his weight to hold them down while he punches.  Not sure he'd be able to hold Marcus Jones down. 

Marcus is going to have some real problems if he faces someone who has good standup, stays away from him and lands big punches as Marcus flails at them and tries to get them down.

Still not sure who I would pick to win the whole thing -- alot will depend on the matchups, but I'd have to still give the edge to Big Country at this point based on his experience.  He won't panic, and knows how to end a fight.

Man, the fight last night was very disappointing.  I think, from the sound of the postfight interviews, most people could have lived with the result if it had gone to a third round.  Ending it after two, though -- not a great job by the judges in my mind.  I guess that's why they get the big bucks though.

LOVED the chicken gag, Rampage's dry sense of humor and deadpan delivery in the side interviews is cracking me up this year.  Evans keeps showing again and again that he really can't be rattled -- he just laughs off any of Rampage's attempts to get under his skin.

Next week's fight I think is going to be a good one.  I'm giving advantage to Madsen based on his wrestling skills, but I think Schaub with his athleticism will be competitive.

Lastly, what in the world is Mitrione's deal.  Sorry but the guy comes off as a complete jackarse on the show.  Either continue or drop out -- but don't continue and look for constant reaffirmation that you're injured from everyone else.  Only thing I got left is that maybe he's playing some psychological game with everyone else to make them think he's hurt so he flies under the radar???  Otherwise, I just plain do not get his act.  At all.