Anderson Siva vs Forrest Griffin Breakdown

Drooke

Another fight breakdown by IndianaWrestler (he is also a member here as well - Cardinal Wrestler)  @ http://forum.theopenmat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5270

Here we go people, what I honestly believe could be FOTY! Well, it could at least be my 3'rd favorite KO of the year (Machida/Evans #1, Hendo/Bisbing #2 by a hair). Because, that is exactly what Im expecting, but not from Silva! Here's the break-down as I see it

Striking Power: Clearly, this belong to Silva. A highlight real of KO's with every single striking weapon he has from GnP (Nate Marquardt), Elbows (that spinning back elbow, anyone?), Knees (Franklin), and Fist (Leben), he's the ultimate striking power Machine. I cant recall a single time that Forrest has just straight KO'ed someone like Silva can and does and will again.

Strength: In this matchup, Forrest will be the stronger individual. He apparently walks around at about 240lbs, and is one of the larger 205lbers in the world and in the UFC. Silva is strong, and should hold his own, but Forrest will be stronger. Could we see some clinch work and dirty boxing from Forrest, holding Silva against the cage? I think so

Speed: In this fight, I think the speed of the movements of the fighters will be similar, with Silva being the faster one but not so much so. I will call this even.

Stamina: I think Forrest will have only a very slight edge. Silva hasnt gone the distance with someone like Forrest recently, who we all know will never tank.

Striking: Advantage Silva. With his KO power and accuracy, I think Silva has the tools to have a significant advantage over Forrest if he strikes from the outside. If Forrest can get in close, I think the striking will be slightly more even.

Grappling: In this fight, Forrest. He's much larger than Hendo, who arguably won a round on Silva holding him down. I think Forrest will employ much of the same strategy, but similar to what Randy does with his dirty boxing and octagon control.

Submissions: Even. I dont think Forrest will submit Silva, and Silva wont submit Forrest with any traditional bjj submission. Any submission, IMO, will come from strikes.

Takedowns: Advantage Forrest. Going back to the dirty boxing/grappling theory, I think this is what Forrest is going to employ to try and beat Silva.

Chin: Edge Forrest. Only reason is, when was the last time Silva was cleanly hit? Meanwhile, Forrest has shown repeatedly that he can take punishment and stick and move throughout the entire fight.

Strike Defense. Someday when Forrest learns to block fewer punches with his face, he'll be even better. Until then, clear advantage to Silva. Again, the dude just never gets hit

Sumission D: The only time Ive ever seen Forrest tap was to strikes, and the last time anyone submitted Silva was a flying ankle lock or somethin. Neither one has the advantage here, but I think Forrest will be better defending from the bottom more so than Silva would.

Takedown D: Advantage this fight goes to Forrest. I think he will take Silva down, and GnP his way through this fight

Mental Prep/Game Planning: Edge Even. Both of these fighters are warriors, ready to fight and win no matter the cost. I discount the last two Silva fights, neither one of those fighters wanted any part of Silva. they were terrified to engage him and actually try and win. Forrest hasnt backed down from anyone, and has shown tremendous ability to fight back.

Prediction/Outcome. What I honestly truly believe is that we're going to see Forrest grind down Silva, and take him down in the 4th round for a GnP TKO. I dont see this fight going either way. Silva is always dangerous on his feet, which is why I think Forrest is going to smoother him, take him down repeatedly, and GnP to a win. Forrest wont flop waiting for Silva to fall into his guard, he's going to come after Silva and tie him up. he's strong enough to take away the knees, and will negate the elbows and fist of Silva and make it a close in tight battle

Forrest via TKO, R4