Fedor vs. Barnett

Drooke

Fedor-Barnett Official for Aug. 1

Options:  Email Article |  Printer Friendly 

Friday, May 29, 2009

by Brian Knapp (bknapp@sherdog.com)

Fedor Emelianenko will lock horns with Josh Barnett in the featured bout at Affliction ?Trilogy? on Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. The promotion made the heavyweight matchup official on Friday.

The announcement pairs the No. 1 and No. 3 world-ranked heavyweights against one another in a five-round contest. For Emelianenko, it will be his sixth test against a former UFC champion.

"I consider Josh as one of the truly best in MMA, I think he is really in his prime right now," Emelianenko said Wednesday on his management?s M-1 Global Web site. "Just like when I fought (Mirko) Cro Cop (Filipovic), he was in his prime as well. At that time it was one of the most anticipated fights in MMA history (and) my fight with Josh can be that as well."

Unbeaten in his last 27 fights, the incomparable Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC) flattened former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia in his most recent outings. The 32-year-old Russian knocked out Arlovski with one punch 3:14 into their match at Affliction ?Day of Reckoning.? Hard to handle on his feet and on the ground, Emelianenko has finished his last five opponents inside one round and holds victories against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, 2006 Pride Open Weight Grand Prix winner Mirko ?Cro Cop? Filipovic and former UFC heavyweight champions Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman. He has delivered 23 of his 30 career wins by knockout, technical knockout or submission.

Barnett, a former UFC champion like Arlovski and Sylvia, will carry a four-fight winning streak into the bout. The 31-year-old last appeared in January, when he struck Gilbert Yvel into submission at Affliction ?Day of Reckoning.? Barnett has won nine of his last 11 fights, including a victory against Emelianenko?s brother, Aleksander, at a Pride show in 2006. A 6-foot-3, 250-pound catch wrestler, he has secured 15 of his 24 career wins by submission.

Other bouts expected for Affliction ?Trilogy? include a welterweight showdown pairing former International Fight League champion Jay Hieron with British striker Paul Daley and a lightweight tilt pitting Dan Lauzon against Chris Horodecki. 

I am excited for this fight if it actually happens............I got Barnett.......whattya think?

I am excited for this fight if it actually happens............I got Barnett.......whattya think?

Are you serious? Josh is a great guy, and a great fighter, but I don't think he has anything Fedor hasn't seen yet. I say Fedor KO's him in the first or early second round.

I cannot believe Dana White did not sign him when Pride collapsed.

What would the terms be?  Or, I could just keep slapping you with cool points. ;D

Well, I guess since we don't have sigs, how about Avatars? Loser has to use whatever Avatar the winner wants, for 2 weeks? LMAO about the cool points. I had no idea how I was getting them. The less I posted, the more I recieved them!

It's on like donkey kong!  (on a sidenote where did that saying originate?)

According to Urban Dictionary you have two choices

#1 Originated by Robert Mori of San Francisco, California 1980's.

Rob would close down his Arcade for the night he would grab a Colt 45 Tall Can slam it and scream its on like Donkey Kong. He would then proceed to go out and get ****** and try to get ****. 

#2 Term was popularized by rapper Ice Cube when he used the phrase in the song "Now I gotta Wet'cha" off his Predator album in 1992. It is unknown at this time whether Ice Cube was the person that originally coined the phrase. 

Friend: Yo dog, I just hooked up like 2 kegs and got all the honies from Alpha Epsilon Omega to come to the party you gotta check this **** there is like 4 girls to every 1 guy!

Cube: Snap, Its on like donkey kong, *****!

Matt you are the Man!  I wrote that in a somewhat rhetorical way.

Enjoy another cool point amigo.  On another sidenote how did you choose your name over @themat?  Were you a big Willow fan? :D

Matt you are the Man!  I wrote that in a somewhat rhetorical way.

Enjoy another cool point amigo.  On another sidenote how did you choose your name over @themat?  Were you a big Willow fan? :D

No problem man. I enjoy knowing as many bits of useless bit of information as I can.  So that question I would have looked up reguardless of if I would have posted it.

Yeah I enjoy Willow.  However, its more a result of me being called that at times during HS because that name sounds similar to my real name.  It's actually spelled slightly different than the movie since I didn't have the amount of internet information that we do today.

Very Good Matt.  I enjoy reading your posts over there as well.

I'm a big Val Kilmer fan.  If you haven't seen "the Salton Sea" you ought to check it out. Crazy movie.

Thanks.  I figure if I write enough stuff some of it might actaully sound decent.  Kilmer has done a wide range of movies.  I have to say Real Genius and Top Secret are entertaining too.  I'll have to try and catch Salton Sea sometime if I have a chance.

As far as Fedor vs Barnett goes.  I'd have to give the edge to Fedor.  Even with him being out of the spotlight and not having to many major opponents he is still the best all around fighter at that division.  Anyone has a punchers chance to win but Fedor doesn't give you much oppertunity to get that punchers chance.  Barnett also has been out of the spotlight and away from major opponents for most of the last few years too.  He hasn't lost much (mostly to Crocop) but he will need something extra to win this one.

Well "the Salton Sea" is nothing like real genius, top secret, or willow.  It's a little bit more like Heat with a meth induced twist. 

Seriously though I was extremely interested in the movie because I lived on the E. side of the Salton Sea for about 6 months after I graduated from college.  It is a very interesting place to say the least.

As far as as Fedor vs Barnett goes...I do agree...however it is the year of the underdog!!!

Well "the Salton Sea" is nothing like real genius, top secret, or willow.  It's a little bit more like Heat with a meth induced twist. 

Seriously though I was extremely interested in the movie because I lived on the E. side of the Salton Sea for about 6 months after I graduated from college.  It is a very interesting place to say the least.

As far as as Fedor vs Barnett goes...I do agree...however it is the year of the underdog!!!

I think his Dac Holiday is one of the best. "I'll be your Huckleberry"

Oh, and I put you back at 50 ;)

Muchas Gracias J n'B.

I do agree with you on the Doc Holday reference.  He was fantastic in that role.

So did you "bump knux" to "seal the deal"? Matt....Matt........seal the deal? Origin? j/k

Muchas Gracias J n'B.

I do agree with you on the Doc Holday reference.  He was fantastic in that role.

So did you "bump knux" to "seal the deal"? Matt....Matt........seal the deal? Origin? j/k

Yep I bump'd. And I actually like your new one, is that for me?