UFC 100

Drooke

UFC 100

Date: Jul 11, 2009

Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center

Broadcast: Pay per view

MAIN CARD

Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)

Champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves (for welterweight title)

Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

PRELIMINARY CARD

Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman

Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien

Jonathan Goulet vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller

C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor

Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty

I would love to see all of these fights.

But, if I had one complaint it would be for Jon Jones and Jake O'Brian to be on the main card.

UFC 100

Date: Jul 11, 2009

Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center

Broadcast: Pay per view

MAIN CARD

Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)

Champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves (for welterweight title)

Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

PRELIMINARY CARD

Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman

Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien

Jonathan Goulet vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller

C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor

Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty

I would love to see all of these fights.

But, if I had one complaint it would be for Jon Jones and Jake O'Brian to be on the main card.

This is a great card.  I will definitely be ordering UFC 100.

• 2 months later...

The decision on the televised card is really baffling, there are a number of undercard fights that would appeal to the usual fight fan more than Akiyama vs Belcher. Jones/O'brien, Bonner/Coleman, and Danzig/Miller all seem to be interesting fights. I do hope for some flash KO's so that they show some of the non televised card.

I'll take Mir, GSP, Fitch, Hendo and I've never heard of Akiyama, but I'll take him anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The decision on the televised card is really baffling, there are a number of undercard fights that would appeal to the usual fight fan more than Akiyama vs Belcher. Jones/O'brien, Bonner/Coleman, and Danzig/Miller all seem to be interesting fights. I do hope for some flash KO's so that they show some of the non televised card.

I'll take Mir, GSP, Fitch, Hendo and I've never heard of Akiyama, but I'll take him anyway.

[/quote /]

I am very happy to see Jake is back.  I thought that his neck injury was going to really give him fits and Dana White might not give him another chance.  I don't know anything about Jones, but the whole Wood party will be watching.  Our's is an entire weekend event.  The only thing missing from our party is a golf outing on Sunday and we could call it a UFC retreat.  Who wants to golf with a bunch of people you have trash talked for a month  8)

Jon Jones was a state champ in New York. Later, he was a junior college champ. Aside from his obviously impressive credentials, he has a very effective wrestling style in the cage. He is excellent in the clinch and is clearly stronger than an ox. He throws people around with ease, and I think Jake is more a plodding, HWT-type wrestler.  Although I'll be rooting for Irish Jake, this is an awfully difficult matchup. It will really raise O' Brien's stock if he can pull it out.

Being this is the big 100 I'm sure they have a few extras in this one.  I can see Dana having a big announcement and/or another Hall of Fame induction.  I also I predict craziness.  Pure craziness.

Brock Lesnar over Frank Mir

GSP over Thiago Alves

Dan Henderson over Michael Bisping

Jon Fitch over Paulo Thiago

Yoshihiro Akiyama over Alan Belcher

Stephan Bonnar over Mark Coleman

Jon Jones over Jake O'Brien

Dong Hyun Kim over Jonathan Goulet

Mac Danzig over Jim Miller

C.B. Dollaway over Tom Lawlor

Matt Grice over Shannon Gugerty

Gugerty over Grice via guillotine.

Lawlor over Dollaway via guillotine

Kim over Guolet via decision 30-26

Jones over O'Brien via guillotine

Miller over Danzig via decision 30-27

Coleman over Bonnar via decision 29-28

I'm 2-4 so far.

Kim over Guolet via decision 30-26

Miller over Danzig via decision 30-27

Coleman over Bonnar via decision 29-28

Akiyama over Belcher via split decision

Henderson over Bisping via knockout

I'm  back to even at 4-4.  Love the Hendo KO

Kim over Guolet via decision

Miller over Danzig via decision

Coleman over Bonnar via decision

Akiyama over Belcher via split decision

Henderson over Bisping via knockout

GSP over Alves via decision

Lesnar over Mir via TKO

Fitch over Thiago via decision

I finish at 7-4 -- not too shabby.

UFC 100 was pretty darn good

Rogan said Belcher got robbed but I thought Akiyama won two rounds and won it with takedowns

Henderson was out for blood from the start, he was throwing haywmakers like crazy, then one finally landed and it was a brutal KO, then Hendo Ko'd Bisping again on the ground, By far one of the best knockouts in history and maybe its because i dont like Bisping at all

Alves has been overhyped coming into this fight, I didnt think he'd last all 5 rounds, GSP hurt his groin in the third which prolly hampered the rest of his performance but you could never tell, GSP is a bad man, he beat Avles standing up and on the ground

Lesnar took it to Mir and had a great gameplan, when Lesnar was in half guard he stayed chest to chest so Mir wouldnt have any room to attempt subs, I thought Mir was going to rock Lesnar a lil in the standup but Lesnar was able to take him down. Lesnar had a single leg and Mir kneed Lesnar with his other knee in the face on the way down, awesome

When Mir was getting beating like a rag doll he lept telling his corner he was ok, but them lunchbox hands were doing some damage, you could tell when Mir stood up

The way Lesnar acted after the fight was pure an embarssement himself.  Putting down the UFC's sponser, Getting in Mirs face when Mir was still in La La Land, etc etc etc

Getting on  top of his ole lady was hilarious, it was all the WWE coming out in him. 

Why in the world did the UFc save Fitch for last was retarted.  I still cant find out why.  The stands were kinda emtpy for his fight

Fitch dominated a BJJ guy on the ground, and almost got a sub in the last ten seconds  that pretty much sums up the fight\\

Overall I got every main card prediction right and all the un televised ones wrong, lol

Great fights

And Jake Obrien lost,.....UFC dont give him no easy fights, hering arloski velasques welcsh jones

My thoughts on why Fitch as last was either

I have two theries on it

A) They were cutting it somewhat close on time and wanted to make sure they go to two main fights and big interviews in.  So Fitch's match became the extra one they would show if time permitted.  The PPV is actually on a set time and I'm guessing people get really annoyed if it goes over and the re-broadcast doesn't start as originally scheduled.  I came up with this from the sherdog blog saying it was a "swing match" at one point and Fitch mentioned in his interview that the fight got pushed back twice.  This is the most likely reason.

B.)  Thiago may not have ready (sick, cramps, etc.) for some reason and Dana was OK pushing the fight back because Thiago said he would enentually be ready to fight on the card.  I came up with this becuase Thiago just didn't look as good as he usually does and nothing was said much about it afterward.  This has a slightly outside chance but is the next best senerio.

C.) It was a combination of both.  Thiago may not have been 100% ready to go and Dana wanted to move something around anyway to make sure he could get full coverage of the big two fights.

I didn't see what Lesner did, but from everything I seen or heard leading up to the fight, Mir had it coming. Nir is the cockest mma fighter out there, for no more then he has done. I also think it is amazing the rise Lesner has been on. How many other people could come from something that isn't even considered a sport, win 4 of 5 fights, and 23 of the 5 were against champions or former champios.

UFC 100 was pretty darn good

Henderson was out for blood from the start, he was throwing haywmakers like crazy, then one finally landed and it was a brutal KO, then Hendo Ko'd Bisping again on the ground, By far one of the best knockouts in history and maybe its because i dont like Bisping at all

Couldn't agree more navy80. I was hoping the ref would have let Henderson keep pounding away.

ff

Brock Lesnar backlash following UFC 100 antics brims with double standards

by Dave Meltzer on Jul 17, 2009 at 7:15 pm ET

There have been 61 fighters in UFC history who were pro wrestlers at one point or another. There are nine on the current UFC roster. Of the six fighters in the UFC Hall of Fame, three ? Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and Mark Coleman ? dabbled in wrestling.

But UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is the only one vilified for it.

It would be easy to say that the attitude Lesnar has displayed ? and not his former profession ? would be the reason for crowds' reaction to him in his short UFC career. It would be easy to blame his actions in the cage after he beat Frank Mir at UFC 100 for the reaction of the crowd, fellow fighters and media afterward. Except it wouldn't be entirely true.

When Lesnar stepped out of the dressing room for his first match with Mir in February 2008, no debuting fighter in UFC history was ever so heavily booed. At that point, he had done nothing to be judged on in his UFC career ? except that in his two previous careers, as a college wrestler for the University of Minnesota and as a pro wrestler for World Wrestling Entertainment, he had risen to the top.

The reaction was entirely based on the fact that he was a pro wrestler coming into the UFC. The reaction came from a fan base that judged him as somehow different from the pro wrestlers who came before him into the UFC.

Of course, none of the former pro wrestlers came into the company with so much publicity and such a rich contract. None walked in with the sort of name value and curiosity which led to what was, at the time, among the most purchased pay-per-view shows in company history.

This is not a defense of anything he did after the fight. But the reaction to Lesnar's postfight comments and his flipping the bird at fans is just the latest example of a double standard Lesnar has faced in his MMA career.

What if the Lesnar and Dan Henderson fights and postfights on Saturday night were transposed? If Lesnar had thrown that totally legal but devastating second blow on an already knocked-out foe ? and remarked in his interview that he was doing it to shut Mir's mouth ? people would have spent the past week demanding that he be banned from the sport. And would Henderson have gotten nearly Lesnar's heat if he had pulled the same postfight antics as Lesnar?

You want to deny there's a double standard here?

As Georges St. Pierre continually took down Thiago Alves in their welterweight title fight, the crowd cheered every takedown. Even when St. Pierre wasn't doing damage on the ground, he was being cheered wildly the entire fight.

In round two, as Lesnar had Mir on the ground and was punching his face in less than 30 seconds before the fight was over, there was a loud chant aimed at referee Herb Dean of "stand them up."

This was a first in UFC history. Not the chant itself, but it being done when a fighter was pummeling the other and actually seconds away from winning. It was the first time a crowd hated a fighter so much that they were willing to pervert the entire framework of what the sport is supposed to be ? that a fighter should do what he can to finish a fight ? simply because they wanted that fighter to lose so badly.

Of all the pro wrestlers who have come into the sport, only two ? Lesnar and non-UFC fighter Bobby Lashley ? have ever been disrespected by fellow fighters for being a pro wrestler. In Lesnar's four UFC fights, only one opponent didn't throw some kind of variation on "It's not the WWE" at him before the fight. In hyping the match, Mir implied Lesnar was strong but clueless when it came to fighting. Heath Herring and his camp had complained behind the scenes to company officials that it was a joke he was even put in the ring with a fake pro wrestler and made public comments about how the punches were going to be real.

The only opponent who didn't disrespect Lesnar before the fight was Couture. The only opponent Lesnar didn't trash talk afterward was Couture. Coincidence?

And Mir probably won't be the last, given the fact that his potential next opponent, Shane Carwin, already has played the pro-wrestling card in starting the hype.

"We have no scripts in this port, no predetermined earning amount and no predetermined outcomes," Carwin said.

Saturday night's perfect storm was a moment that will be remembered in the sport's history. It marked the first time that a UFC fighter was the single most talked-about sports personality in the world, as pundits who spent years hyping the likes of Barry Bonds and Randy Moss suddenly found their moral compass and badmouthed Lesnar.

Lesnar never asked to become the biggest villain the sport has ever seen, but he's also smart enough and experienced enough at it that he knows it's not all a bad thing. While running down Bud Light ? UFC's leading sponsor ? was not the best of judgment, he's turned out to be one of the greatest things for building the popularity of the sport.

Just as tennis had John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, and boxing had Muhammad Ali, and football has Terrell Owens, it is good for the sport to have a great villain. You don't want a sport where everyone is like him; but when push comes to shove, Lesnar is great for the sport, just as St. Pierre is in a very different way.

The duality of the reaction of the crowds, in comparing the reactions to what Lesnar and Henderson said, and how Lesnar and St. Pierre formulated their winning game plans, says something pretty significant about the sport and its fan base.

The history of fights which have garnered the most interest and drawn the most money in UFC history, matches built by inflammatory interviews fashioned out of pro wrestling, are what made the sport and saved the sport. The examples are endless ? from Tito Ortiz's grudge with Ken Shamrock, to Couture spanking Ortiz at the end of their match, to Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans nearly coming to blows in the crowd. It's a lesson very much worth examining for anyone arguing about what is good or bad for the future of the sport.

That's not even a bad thing. But it's simply accepting the truth of what all of this is, as opposed to living in a world of pretend ? and then complaining about somebody because he used to be a pro wrestler.

Brock is gonna make some sick money in the UFC playing the heel. 

Isn't Brock already making crazy money?

Actually, for what they do, I think they are very under paid, even more so by UFC. Only the very top few make good money, but it pails in comparison to the same level of boxers. Someone like Chuck Liddel makes the league minimum if they were a veteran in the NFL. Affliction pays their fighters very well, but they are not really an organization yet, I don't think.

Isn't Brock already making crazy money?

Actually, for what they do, I think they are very under paid, even more so by UFC. Only the very top few make good money, but it pails in comparison to the same level of boxers. Someone like Chuck Liddel makes the league minimum if they were a veteran in the NFL. Affliction pays their fighters very well, but they are not really an organization yet, I don't think.

That's my point.  Lesnar is already making crazy money when compared to most MMA fighters in the world.  I read somewhere that Lesnar will make over $3 million for UFC 100.