Rich in talent

Rich in talent

Brown Co?s Richey All-Area Wrestler of Year

STAFF REPORTS

Up close

NAME: Mitchell Richey. WHO: The Republic?s All-Area Wrestler of the Year. AGE: 18. PARENTS: Tim and Tina Richey. SIBLINGS: Melissa and Quincy.

Mitchell Richey considered not wrestling as a senior. After three state finals appearances in three years, Richey wasn?t sure he wanted to cut the weight necessary to perform at that level again. But Brown County coach Mark Bruner talked Richey into competing at a more natural weight of 135 pounds. The opponents were bigger, but they were not better.

Richey carried an unbeaten record into the state finals where he was finally knocked off in the state championship match. The state runner-up finish earned Richey the award at The Republic?s Wrestler of the Year. Here he is in his own words.

What is something about yourself that most people wouldn?t know? ?I have an American father and a Filipino mother.? Describe yourself in 10 words or less: ?Fun and outgoing.? What is your most embarrassing moment? ?On my first date I spilled a drink in my lap.? What is your pregame superstition? ?I have to wear the same socks and underwear to every weigh-in. After weigh-ins I change into a certain pair of socks and underwear.? Who is your favorite athlete and why? ?LeBron James because he is unstoppable.?

What was your favorite moment from the season? ?Winning semistate right after my brother won at 130.?

What was the most disappointing thing about the season? ?Losing in the finals.? If you didn?t wrestle, what would you have done after school? ?I would have worked out and really done nothing.? What are some of your hobbies? ?Fishing, hanging out with my friends, and working out.?

What is your favorite childhood memory?

?My favorite childhood memory is going camping with my dad, grandpa, and uncles.?

What was your first appearance in a varsity contest like? ?It was bad, I lost my very first match.?

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up and why? Do you still want to do that? ?When I was little I wanted to be either a policemen or firefighter. Yes, I still have plans to be a firefighter.? Who is your celebrity crush? ?Jessica Alba.? Who is your favorite superhero and why? ?Hulk, because he is big and green.? Words to live by: ?Follow your heart.?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.