BJ Penn vs St. Peirre II Sat

ontherise219

Wow im suprised to see so many ppl picking the prodigy...I think gsp is just gonna be too big, fast, strong, conditioned,  etc...But if anyone has a chance to beat him, its BJ....If gsp goes home with his title saturday night, I dont see anybody beating him at 70 for a long time

I was reading an article about BJ today and one of his coaches related an interesting story regarding his flexibility.

One day after a work out BJ was sitting and reading the paper when his ear developed an itch. He scratched it...... .....with one of his toes. Completely oblivious to any observation.

That being said I hate making predictions betwee two top tier fighters because anything can happen in mma.

If someone can give me a very detailed and trust worthy report of Penns training to prepare for this fight I can more correctly judge who I think the winner should be.  He's already jumping up a weight and facing a very skilled and well-rounded fighter in GSP.  To make it worse its hard to judge which Penn will show for the fight.  One is a unmotivated, lightly trained fighter who seems to have little concern for the fight and treats it more like a sparing contest with no focus on winning or losing.  The other is the highly motivated and well trained fighter who is determined to prove himselve and can outshines almost anyone he faces.  If I knew what Penn was showing up I may be able to pick a winner.

Wow im suprised to see so many ppl picking the prodigy...I think gsp is just gonna be too big, fast, strong, conditioned,  etc...But if anyone has a chance to beat him, its BJ....If gsp goes home with his title saturday night, I dont see anybody beating him at 70 for a long time

Last time, GSP had all of those and was getting his but kicked till B.J. gased. If BJ doesn't gas, he will ko or sub him in the 4th.

Last time, GSP had all of those and was getting his but kicked till B.J. gased. If BJ doesn't gas, he will ko or sub him in the 4th.

Even when BJ gas GSP took him down and just laid on BJ and did nothing from top. And I think BJ did more damged on GSP from the bottom.

Even when BJ gas GSP took him down and just laid on BJ and did nothing from top. And I think BJ did more damged on GSP from the bottom.

Wasn't the first fight 2+ years ago?  I think anyone would agree that GSP has improved tremendously since that fight.  Even if BJ has improved, it doesn't seem likely that his skills have improved as much as GSP, therefore I would tend to give the edge to GSP.  It was the same basic setup prior to the Nog v Mir.  Mir was the underdog on this board, but no one knew how much he had improved.  Nog was already at the top of his game and in fact is probably on the downhill side of his career.  While I don't think BJ is on the downhill side of his career, I  suspect that he doesn't get everything he can out of his ability and training.  Being MMA, anything can happen (for example first GSP getting clipped by Serra in their first fight).  For BJ to win it will have to be in the first round, maybe early second.  GSP has proven that he has improved his fitness level.  BJ has proven, several times, that he has not.

Having a MMA background, I really study these things. BJ has ground game, and A nice jab too. lol I really don't like either of them, But i enjoy watching them fight. GSP has solid stand-up, great wrestling, and pretty good BJJ. I say on the Ground-It's Even. Standing Up-GSP. Ill take GSP in a Unanimous Decision.

If someone can give me a very detailed and trust worthy report of Penns training to prepare for this fight I can more correctly judge who I think the winner should be.  He's already jumping up a weight and facing a very skilled and well-rounded fighter in GSP.  To make it worse its hard to judge which Penn will show for the fight.  One is a unmotivated, lightly trained fighter who seems to have little concern for the fight and treats it more like a sparing contest with no focus on winning or losing.  The other is the highly motivated and well trained fighter who is determined to prove himselve and can outshines almost anyone he faces.  If I knew what Penn was showing up I may be able to pick a winner.

Spike ran a nice 3-part series, ending last night, about the way both fighters trained and prepared the weeks leading up to this fight.  Seems both BJ and GSP are highly motived for this fight. 

I like them both. Both bring something different to the sport. BJ doesnt have to improve to much in the last two years to still be better than GSP. Where he needed to improve was cardio and dedication. BJ is the P4P greatest fighter in the world skill wise. He just hasnt put in the hard work in the past while others who are close in skill have.  If anyone watched their first fight (yes 2 years ago) BJ killed him on his feet. His stand up is ALOT better than Serras with alot more power and one of the best chins out there. I think the only was GSP wins is if its a boring fight. BJ wins by stoppage.

GSP being big wont be a big factor. BJ fought Lyoto Machida to a decision loss. Thats an undefeated 205lber who beat Tito and might have a title shot after this fight. BUT I still wouldnt bet on this fight!!

If GSP wins the Pitbull has been on a tear Smashing Hughes and Kos. I don't think anyone can take those leg kicks.

Spike ran a nice 3-part series, ending last night, about the way both fighters trained and prepared the weeks leading up to this fight.  Seems both BJ and GSP are highly motived for this fight. 

Thats very key in this fight. BJ has gotten away with partial training his whole career. I can't wait to see what he will look like if he is taking this fight seriously. And on the ground, GSP isn't close to BJ's BJJ. BJ has the sickest rubber gaurd in mma.

BJ dominates the 1st 2 rounds then starts to fade from the 3 on and loses another close decision, I also think this fight has the potential to be kinda boring cuz both are so skilled it could turn into a boring chess match. Isn't Munster grad Stephan Bonnar on this card also?

BJ is DEFINITELY not the Best skill wise P4p. Anderson Silva is. He is excellent at Muay-Thai and Boxing. He has a Black Belt in BJJ Under the Noguiera Brothers and has some pretty good wrestling. BJ is in the top 5 but He isn't the best. GSP ranks over him in most, and Lyoto Machida is a JOKE. He is not in the top 5 in 205 and He won't beat Thiago Silva anyways. Tito is a good fighter but Machida was scared to throw hands. Evans,Griffin,Jackson,Jardine,Rua,Liddell and Silva would all beat Machida HANDS DOWN!

Anyone fighting in the UFC isnt a joke. Thats the top of the totem poll. Even the worst fighters in the UFC right now are very good fighters. UFC isnt going to be putting that much stock into a fighters image if he is a joke. (See EliteXC and Kimbo)

Anderson Silva even admitted in an interview BJ would be a tough fight for him. BJ has won in every weight class. Doing so with piss poor work ethic. That takes quite a bit of skill. BJ also is a black belt. P4P doesnt mean he would beat him in a fight. When Anderson SIlva bumps up a weight and beats the best fighters at 205 then I will say he is the best P4P fighter.

Also styles make a fight. They all could be better fighters but that doesnt mean they would beat him. Ive seen alot of fights where the more skilled fighter didnt win because the other guys style was the right one to win the fight.

BTW here's a link to Lyoto's fight history. He may never wear the belt, but he has beat top guys.  http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Lyoto-Machida-7513