Some news on a few Indiana Division III wrestlers

At the 27th annual nine-team Al Hanke Invitational Saturday, January 17, 2009, at Elmhurst College, four of Indiana's most recent graduates competed.  At 125lbs, DJ Rackley (Franklin Central/Harper College) who was seeded #3 in the tournament placed 5th with a 3-2 record.  Also, at 125lbs, Jimmy Schoettle (Perry Meridian/University of Chicago) placed 2nd with a 3-1 record, beating the #2 and #3 seed before falling to the #1 ranked Division III 125lb wrestler in the nation, Jake Oster (Elmhurst College).  At 165lbs, Chuck Woodard (Warren Central/Elmhurst College) placed 5th with a 3-2 record and Caleb Norville (Mishawaka/Olivet College) fell to the #2 seed and the eventual 6th place wrestler at 165lbs. 

As Keith said, Jimmy was not seeded.  Jimmy lost by a fall in 3:35.  The score was 3-0 after the first period.  Jimmy chose neutral because of his last meeting with Oster (he is a beast on top). Jimmy got out of position and Oster threw him to the mat and proceeded to "man" handle him and then pinned him.  Oster is 15-0 with 14 falls.  Jimmy lasted 5:54 the first time which is the longest anyone has made it on the mat with the exception of an early season decision by points. Oster was the Division III Great Lakes Regional Champion at 125 last year and placed 7th in the NCAA Division III Championships to earn All American Honors in his second year at Division III competition.  Jimmy will have maybe one or two more opportunities to wrestle him again this year and is looking forward to the challenge.  Jimmy's record stands at 9-4 for the season.

Always enjoyed watching Jimmy and DJ. How about Ethan Harris of U of I taking the Manchester Spartan Mat Classic tourney's most outstanding wrestler award. Congrats!

Do you have anymore information on the Manchester Spartan Mat Classic?  There were several other Indiana wrestlers there as well I'm sure.  Ethan was always tough and it appears he's still going strong. 

As Keith said, Jimmy was not seeded.  Jimmy lost by a fall in 3:35.  The score was 3-0 after the first period.  Jimmy chose neutral because of his last meeting with Oster (he is a beast on top). Jimmy got out of position and Oster threw him to the mat and proceeded to "man" handle him and then pinned him.  Oster is 15-0 with 14 falls.  Jimmy lasted 5:54 the first time which is the longest anyone has made it on the mat with the exception of an early season decision by points. Oster was the Division III Great Lakes Regional Champion at 125 last year and placed 7th in the NCAA Division III Championships to earn All American Honors in his second year at Division III competition.  Jimmy will have maybe one or two more opportunities to wrestle him again this year and is looking forward to the challenge.  Jimmy's record stands at 9-4 for the season.

Glad to see he is doing good/ plus he must be pretty smart to be at that university !!!

What about Chico Adams is he wrestling anywhere?

I heard at Bellmont that Chico is not in school or wrestling now.

My understanding is that Harper College didn't work out for Chico.  Losing your mom and being away from home is definitely hard on a kid.  He's too good to not try again somewhere else.  I hope he is working on something for next season.