Tsirtsis

I think the problem with Alex as a freshman was his not being able to redshirt. He was thrown into Div 1 wrestling and its long grueling season. Althought he showed glimpses of his brilliance that year he suffered many losses. Its not until he was redshirted last year that he is able to put it together. He finally appears to mentally have his confidence back. His problem previous to this year was lapses in his conentration and bone-headed mistakes. While the initial redshirt was on Zalesky I don't blame him for Alex not wrestling up to his potential. Same for M*.  And I'm a huge IOWA fan.

Oh I do. A lot of guys floundered under Jimmy Z. Tsirtsis is one of them. Morningstar, Perry, Meneely, Bradley, Magnani etc. Tom Brands is on a different level than Zalesky. Helping a kid eliminate his mistakes and develop in his weak points is what coaches at the D1 level do. Not only did Alex stutter on the mat, he lost focus off the mat as well. Since Brands has arrived, Alex has been on track and getting better. M* is a different wrestler as well. Zalesky let the guys do too much nonsense and get away from sound fundamentals. M* is a great example of that. He still has a style that differs from most on the team but he is solid on his positioning and finishes with better intensity.

Floundering as it appears Slaton and LeClere have done this year?

Slaton obviously is struggling to make 133 and it showed when he got destroyed by Fanthorpe, and Dennis is wrestling very focused and performing well. Slaton is 5-1 with a nice win over Connor Beebe. LeClere can't beat Tshirts. He is 8-2 on the year but dropped his last two important matches. Having said that, I would bet Leclere could step in at 141 for Alex and finish middle of the pack at big 10's and win a few matches at NCAA's. These guys are obviously getting better and better under Brands where some guys just never developed under Zalesky.

If Slaton would have worked on getting his weight down earlier than he started than he would be starting.

I believe that statement is highly debatable.  Especially after observing Daniel's run this season.

I don't think that you understood what I meant when I brought up Slaton and LeClere. 

Or perhaps you did as you brought up one of Slaton's major issues this season.

And for the record, at the beginning of the season, Daniel and Alex were the two wrestlers I wanted to see wrestling for IOWA this year.

If Slaton would have worked on getting his weight down earlier than he started than he would be starting.

I believe that statement is highly debatable.  Especially after observing Daniel's run this season.

I don't think that you understood what I meant when I brought up Slaton and LeClere. 

Or perhaps you did as you brought up one of Slaton's major issues this season.

And for the record, at the beginning of the season, Daniel and Alex were the two wrestlers I wanted to see wrestling for IOWA this year.

I know what you're saying but if Slaton would have had his weight under control then he would have gotten the nod due to last year. Unless Dennis would have just beat him by some outrageous number in the wrestleoff.