Indiana Heavyweights Rule!!! And now it's official!

So Jack Heldt (Wabash/Carmel) captured the D III national heavyweight title and Shawn Streck (Central Oklahoma/Merrillville) won the D II heavyweight title and now Mason Parris is the D I national champ. This is an unbelievable achievement. Indiana should be proud of these three young men. 

Edited by Dave Cloud

Heldt also received NCAA Div. III Most Dominant Wrestler award by averaging 5.56 team points per match on the season!

https://sports.wabash.edu/news/2023/3/11/heldt-wins-wrestling-national-title.aspx

Heldt is a pretty special story if you don't know much about him.  As a junior in high school he was still JV 170 and believe his JV record that year was 12-5.  He grew 3 or 4 inches and spent the summer in the weight room/wrestling room with Nate Warman and everything was different after that!

Heldt also won the NCAA Elite 90 award last year when he finished NCAA Runner Up and having a 4.0 GPA.

https://www.wabash.edu/news/story/11886

1 hour ago, Ed Pendoski said:

Heldt also received NCAA Div. III Most Dominant Wrestler award by averaging 5.56 team points per match on the season!

https://sports.wabash.edu/news/2023/3/11/heldt-wins-wrestling-national-title.aspx

Heldt is a pretty special story if you don't know much about him.  As a junior in high school he was still JV 170 and believe his JV record that year was 12-5.  He grew 3 or 4 inches and spent the summer in the weight room/wrestling room with Nate Warman and everything was different after that!

Heldt also won the NCAA Elite 90 award last year when he finished NCAA Runner Up and having a 4.0 GPA.

https://www.wabash.edu/news/story/11886

A couple more notes on his ascension:

He didn't make it to state his senior year once he cracked the lineup. Last year, obviously he was fantastic at Wabash with his runner-up finish--but it was at 197. This was his first year at 285 and he wins the title while also being D3's most dominant wrestler.

With this steep of an ongoing rise, next steps are like world team member, olympic gold, greatest wrestler ever!  

In all seriousness, though--awesome story!

14 hours ago, jonah7474 said:

I don’t know Wagner, but I know Vaughn… totally agree… he was a bad, bad, man on the mat… off the mat… one of the best there is.

You talking about Tony Vaughn of Ft Wayne Snider? Man, I had to wrestle him in regionals back in the day. He was a beast!

On 3/17/2023 at 12:16 PM, indypharmd said:

You talking about Tony Vaughn of Ft Wayne Snider? Man, I had to wrestle him in regionals back in the day. He was a beast!

Yep!!! I grew up in Ft. Wayne and that was wrestler I looked up too. He definitely was a beast! 

I’m proud to be an Indiana heavyweight. Watching those guys win at Division I, II, AND III let me know I came from the best heavyweight state in the land. And if we want to get technical, Gable is also ours by birthright and years spent here (up to eighth grade). Congratulations to Mason, Shawn, and Jack. Happy to say I’ve competed or scrapped with all three.

1 hour ago, blueandgold said:

I’m proud to be an Indiana heavyweight. Watching those guys win at Division I, II, AND III let me know I came from the best heavyweight state in the land. And if we want to get technical, Gable is also ours by birthright and years spent here (up to eighth grade). Congratulations to Mason, Shawn, and Jack. Happy to say I’ve competed or scrapped with all three.

Truly a great accomplishment by all of them! 

Does anyone know how many times this has ever happened? Seems like it would be pretty rare.

• Dave Cloud changed the title to Indiana Heavyweights Rule!!! And now it's official!
On 3/16/2023 at 9:29 PM, jonah7474 said:

I don’t know Wagner, but I know Vaughn… totally agree… he was a bad, bad, man on the mat… off the mat… one of the best there is.

Don't remember Greg Wagner? 2000 Runner-up & 2001 Champ

Finished 3rd in D1 his senior year in 2006, I believe 4th in 2005

Last College Victory was over former UFC Heavyweight Champ Cain Velasquez

Edited by NavyGonzo