Crown Point Movie!

2 hours ago, mcnorthcarolina said:

I see your point. And circumstances were very different at the time and things have improved at Wabash drastically. But under the circumstances we had to deal with then we chose the best option for my son. And what we have sacrificed as a family has not been easy. We didn't just jump local  school systems. I'm all for growing the sport but an opportunity presented itself and we took it. Both of my son's give back still to there local program. 

I am aware of your situation and I don’t disagree with your decision. Totally different than what others are talking about. That is why I said there are different circumstances. 

Granted my perspective is nearly 15 years old, but when I was in school I trained at the local wrestling academies Region Elite/Vega/RWA year round starting at age 10.

Then every year high school wrestling season would start and I would have to limit myself to just the practices at the high school.

In hindsight it was clear that each year I was at peak wrestling performance in November and would steadily decline until February with my worst performances always at State. 

I could never understand as a high schooler why kids that I would dominate in the off season were able to pull off close wins against me late in the season. Ultimately it all came down to them improving during their high school season while I declined. 

My high school coaches were great men, and I value to this day the lessons in character that I learned from them, and despite that, I certainly wish my parents would have moved me to a different high school program with more gifted/technical coaches and a more difficult strength of schedule. 

Coaching, culture, competition, and community are critically important and make a substantial difference. I would not begrudge any parent for wanting to provide the best opportunity for their child. 

"If kids were allowed in season to club practice with club coaches would that solve some issues from moving"?

This is the single biggest issue holding back wrestlers at weak programs. Even an academy wrestler at a school with subpar coaching and low-level practice partners will get worse during the season, not better.

IHSAA rules seem designed to make sure that strong programs remain strong and weaker programs can't compete.

A track athlete can do event practice mostly solo, but to become a top wrestler you need practice partners of a certain level.

13 hours ago, AndyStJ said:

"If kids were allowed in season to club practice with club coaches would that solve some issues from moving"?

This is the single biggest issue holding back wrestlers at weak programs. Even an academy wrestler at a school with subpar coaching and low-level practice partners will get worse during the season, not better.

IHSAA rules seem designed to make sure that strong programs remain strong and weaker programs can't compete.

A track athlete can do event practice mostly solo, but to become a top wrestler you need practice partners of a certain level.

I do think it would help with some of that. It’s a weird rule 

On 3/8/2023 at 8:35 PM, Keepitlegal said:

Not jealous.  Just tired of seeing hard working kids get plucked away from other schools in 8th grade and/or good students being homeschooled for a second 8th grade year.  

You know how exciting it is to watch a barn burner match?  Imagine how fun wrestling would be if all these top notch kids didn’t “move” and stayed at their home school.   We might actually get to experience teams battle for titles year after year.   

Redshirting
I talked to a DI coach this year and asked how his boy was doing knowing he was close to being a freshman. He said he was a freshman and was very undersized for the weight. I asked about redshirting him and he said they presented the option to him and he wanted to stay in the current grade. It was interesting hearing that from a DI coach. 

On the other hand another DI coach's son took the year off to "find himself" or whatever, aka redshirt. 

The point is that until the IHSAA changes something people will continue to do it because they feel it will help them. I'm personally not a fan of holding a kid back for athletic reasons, but there really isn't much that can be done at the current time.

Transferring

While no one enjoys seeing good kids go to the same school it is more and more common. Go back the last 10-15 years and find me state champion teams that didn't have at least one if not a few kids that were originally out of district. There are reasons kids want to go to these schools. They train with each other during the off-season and form friendships off the mat and want to continue to train together. They also train under those coaches and want to continue doing so, especially when their home school coaches aren't around in the off-season. 

One other thing to realize is most of these schools are closed districts so most of these families are moving their WHOLE family into the district and likely purchasing a new home there. That is an extreme commitment to this whole transfer scenario.

Whether you like it or not, people will continue to give their kids great opportunities to succeed. I know personally we moved 8 years ago for our kids and the school district was VERY important to us. In five years if my son is good at something and another school is a better fit I know we will look into the possibility of him going to another school. In the end as a parent you always look out for what is best for your kid and want to put them in places where they will thrive.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:16 AM, Y2CJ41 said:

Redshirting
I talked to a DI coach this year and asked how his boy was doing knowing he was close to being a freshman. He said he was a freshman and was very undersized for the weight. I asked about redshirting him and he said they presented the option to him and he wanted to stay in the current grade. It was interesting hearing that from a DI coach. 

On the other hand another DI coach's son took the year off to "find himself" or whatever, aka redshirt. 

The point is that until the IHSAA changes something people will continue to do it because they feel it will help them. I'm personally not a fan of holding a kid back for athletic reasons, but there really isn't much that can be done at the current time.

Transferring

While no one enjoys seeing good kids go to the same school it is more and more common. Go back the last 10-15 years and find me state champion teams that didn't have at least one if not a few kids that were originally out of district. There are reasons kids want to go to these schools. They train with each other during the off-season and form friendships off the mat and want to continue to train together. They also train under those coaches and want to continue doing so, especially when their home school coaches aren't around in the off-season. 

One other thing to realize is most of these schools are closed districts so most of these families are moving their WHOLE family into the district and likely purchasing a new home there. That is an extreme commitment to this whole transfer scenario.

Whether you like it or not, people will continue to give their kids great opportunities to succeed. I know personally we moved 8 years ago for our kids and the school district was VERY important to us. In five years if my son is good at something and another school is a better fit I know we will look into the possibility of him going to another school. In the end as a parent you always look out for what is best for your kid and want to put them in places where they will thrive.

I understand parents want to give their kids every advantage they can.   If this is such a widely accepted practice, why are there still rules against it?  Is it fair that one student has legitimate social, academic, and athletic reasons for wanting to transfer but has to give up a year of eligibility while time after time students at select schools transfer without losing eligibility?  Let’s get rid of the facade of having this rule if they are not universally applied.   Notice I’m not saying to level the playing field, because there are families that cannot afford to pick-up &  move, but removing the rule barrier is a step in the right direction.