How is 197 seeded?

The most "wide-open" and "Deep" class this year amongst the 10 classes, atleast 8-10  guys have a real legitimate shot at the title. 

Is Silas peaking at the right time? 

Is Bow and Arrow Dean gonna win 2-1 all weekend?

Nino Bonacorssi? Rocky Elam?

How bout Michael Beard who got kicked to the curb by PSU? 

Yonger Batisda is very athletic and exciting. 

Will Cal Poly get Truax to do what hasn't been done before? 

Again this is a wide open weight and this Hoosier is pulling for Silas no matter the seeds.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:16 PM, beaner2 said:

The most "wide-open" and "Deep" class this year amongst the 10 classes, atleast 8-10  guys have a real legitimate shot at the title. 

Is Silas peaking at the right time? 

Is Bow and Arrow Dean gonna win 2-1 all weekend?

Nino Bonacorssi? Rocky Elam?

How bout Michael Beard who got kicked to the curb by PSU? 

Yonger Batisda is very athletic and exciting. 

Will Cal Poly get Truax to do what hasn't been done before? 

Again this is a wide open weight and this Hoosier is pulling for Silas no matter the seeds.

Yeah, very interesting how this shakes out. Seeding procedures are a strict point system that includes head2head, rpi, quality wins, win%, maybe coaches rank? They pit every guy head to head against every other guy in this point system. Whoever wins most head2head point battles gets top seed, second seed, etc. Seems like 197 will be a super tight crunch, like you said, among top guys. I'm guessing Silas comes out in the 5-6 range?

54 minutes ago, maligned said:

I'm guessing Silas comes out in the 5-6 range?

Maybe, could see it a little higher. I realize rankings aren't the same as seeds, but most of the final rankings had Silas 8 and Dean 9. Not too often you see the top 7 ranked guys not from the B1G. Regardless, should be interesting to see how it shakes out and an exciting weight class to watch.

1 hour ago, RAJR said:

Maybe, could see it a little higher. I realize rankings aren't the same as seeds, but most of the final rankings had Silas 8 and Dean 9. Not too often you see the top 7 ranked guys not from the B1G. Regardless, should be interesting to see how it shakes out and an exciting weight class to watch.

Might be true. Braunagel and Dean were 3-4 in RPI before big 10s, Silas 8. Dean was ranked high. The quality win factor, conference champ factor, increased RPI, all will score big direct points in their point system. I hadn't realized he only got to 8 in rankings. Maybe 6 to 8 is a better estimate of his seed than 5-6.

41 minutes ago, navy80 said:

197 seeding is trash

Silas got 8. Defending champ, Max Dean got 9. Winner faces 1 seed Nino of Pitt.

Silas is red-hot and has confidence.  If he gets past Dean, he will be the champ.

8 hours ago, beaner2 said:

Silas is red-hot and has confidence.  If he gets past Dean, he will be the champ.

I can agree here. Dean will be the tougher challenger, but pretty unfair for both of the Big Ten Finalists.  

6 hours ago, IU89 said:

Mendez lost 3 matches in less than 24 hours last week. He’s seeded appropriately. 

He did get wore down there. And if he thought the losers bracket was a meat grinder in the Big conference, it’s almost impossible at the NCAA Tournament.  

2 hours ago, Disco said:

Yeah, this is a little harsh for both Dean and Silas. 

I did a deep dive into all the results. Based strictly on this year, it's hard to argue with the seeds. Dean's 3 losses are to 3 guys above him. Silas lost twice each convincingly to #7 and #6. Neither Dean nor Silas has wins against guys seeded above them. And there are zero Big 10 wins from anyone over the Top 7 seeds.

This is how it has to work in a fair world. Guys make big jumps from past years and guys like Parris last year and B Lee this year are several notches down because of injuries. 

It's just a shame when we know the previous season's results and there's no way all 7 of those top seeds have collectively passed the entire Big 10 (Dean/Warner were obviously 1 and 2 last year ahead of these guys. Hoffman was AA. You know the story.)

This is why i like the wrestlestat rankings better. Theyre more accurately predictive because theyre super intuitive at slotting but also "connect" logically to that tiny bit of recency bias for an ascending new guy and that tiny bit of weight from last year when Dean is 1, Warner was 2, Bonaccorsi didnt place, etc. Those rankings currently have Dean #1 and Silas #2. That Round of 16 match... Yikes!

1 hour ago, Disco said:

One consolation for both of Silas and Dean is that they will be fresh, who ever it is to take on the Pitt fenom. 

I'm not sure if you're being facetious with the phenom comment. He's 16-0, but he didn't place last year and he's got five 1- or 2-point matches this year. He deserves his seed at 10-0 against the field, but it's obviously near a coin flip against either quarters opponent he sees.

11 hours ago, beaner2 said:

And how the heck does McGee get a 4 seed at 133 with 10 losses? Mendez a 14 ????

As someone else said, McGee is 22-0 except for two losses to the giants of the weight.

I really trust WrestleStat's rankings bc they're more intuitive and predictively accurate than traditional rankings. They have Silas #2, for example. 

Wrestlestat have Mendez #11, so he's justifiably at least that low. But Cannon is just below him at WS. No way they'll seed him under Mendez since they split and Cannon just beat him and Cannon's losses are to higher people. That's down to 12. Phillippi is next, but he beat Cannon and others seeded above him and lost to no one below him, so that pushes Mendez to 13. Then McGonagle is below Mendez at WS too, but McGonagle beat Phillippi and didn't lose to anyone below him, so Mendez drops down to 14. 

He's got the ability, clearly. But his losses clearly justify his seeding, despite what our eyes told us in most of his matches.

That said, I think if he can get that first win at nationals and then wrestle Vito well, he'll get his swagger back and we'll see him on the podium. 

Edited by maligned

3 hours ago, bigballerb said:

I honestly don’t have a problem with most brackets, nothing was too egregious imo.

I really don't like their bias toward win% and policy of blind disregard for previous seasons such as at 285. Parris-Cassioppi-Kerkvliet were clearly ahead of Hendrickson last year, those guys lose no matches except to each other, but Hendrickson jumps 2 of them because of a crap schedule other than getting controlled by Parris once.

3 hours ago, maligned said:

As someone else said, McGee is 22-0 except for two losses to the giants of the weight.

I really trust WrestleStat's rankings bc they're more intuitive and predictively accurate than traditional rankings. They have Silas #2, for example. 

Wrestlestat have Mendez #11, so he's justifiably at least that low. But Cannon is just below him at WS. No way they'll seed him under Mendez since they split and Cannon just beat him and Cannon's losses are to higher people. That's down to 12. Phillippi is next, but he beat Cannon and others seeded above him and lost to no one below him, so that pushes Mendez to 13. Then McGonagle is below Mendez at WS too, but McGonagle beat Phillippi and didn't lose to anyone below him, so Mendez drops down to 14. 

He's got the ability, clearly. But his losses clearly justify his seeding, despite what our eyes told us in most of his matches.

That said, I think if he can get that first win at nationals and then wrestle Vito well, he'll get his swagger back and we'll see him on the podium. 

Clearly the talk on this board of Mendez being a 4xer after he beat Byrd was way premature.  I'm a little surprised he is that low.  A 2nd round match up with Vito isn't ideal.  I'd be surprised if he wins that one.  Then he will have a tough road coming back through the consolations to get on the podium.  He's obviously talented enough to get on the podium, but he picked a bad time to have a bad tournament at the Big 10's.