Potential Big Changes in Indiana Wrestling

50 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

All three of those guys, Leighton, Luke, and John are freak athletes. We coaches all know that football and wrestling cross over a ton!

I'd love to see the statistics on how many 138-160 pounders that qualified for state played football or another sport this year though.

Even better, would love to know how many 106-132 pounders did another sport.

The further down the weight goes, the less options kids have to be involved in sports and find success. What other sports is a 105 pound kid at HSE or Brownsburg going to do and be a contributor? The options are limited, you could even argue wrestling is the ONLY one. These kids can choose to just wrestle at our schools. They usually have run CC or play tennis and baseball or track at a really small school.

My hypothesis is that in the light weights, it's less than 10% of state qualifiers that do another sport, in the middle weights, you may bump to 25%-35%, with the heavier weights being over 50% for certain, maybe even more than 75%.

Thrine plays football and also runs track I believe 

7 minutes ago, JORVILLE said:

Thrine plays football and also runs track I believe 

Another stud athlete for sure. The point the Original Poster was making is that stud athletes will be studs at whatever sports they choose. My point is that it's easier to do at upper weights for sure because there is less sport specialization. 

That's not to say it can't be done at lower weights, as Mr. Thrine has shown us and I'm sure there are others, just more of a challenge because more of their opponents wrestler all year round.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/03/22/ihsaa-executive-committee-vote-on-fixed-enrollment-proposal-in-may-iiaaa-indiana-high-school-sports/70036132007/

Interesting proposal coming to classed sports at the IHSAA. They are looking to class team sports not called football with hard cut-offs of enrollment.

Class 4A: 1,400 enrollment and up(68 schools)

Class 3A: 600-1,399 enrollment(101 schools)

Class 2A: 325-599 enrollment(117 schools)
Class A: 324 enrollment and down(116 schools)

I believe they are stealing the IHSWCA's cut-off plan, just changing the numbers up.