Outstanding wrestler at the State finals ?

Legridn

Jake's a strong case for certain, but the freshman Thrine taking out a national-ranked senior has to be right there. Prior to Saturday night,  would anyone have been surprised if either Jake or Ashton won another title? I would bet the most ardent Thrine supporters thought it would be a big lift to beat Frazier. That is not to say no one thought it was possible, only it was less likely.

If what Thrine did isn't the definition of "Outstanding," I don't know what is. That's not to take away from either Jake or Joey they were great. 

While I'm at it, has any of the other freshman phenoms taken out a national-ranked wrestler in the finals?

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

100% goes to Jake Hockaday, didn’t allow a takedown all State Series and didn’t allow a takedown to 2x State Champ Senior . 

The same senior had been pretty lucky to be in that championship match, after the Schafer match.  I’m sticking with my pick , 96% sure.

1 hour ago, igotcaught said:

Orlando Cruz had 3 pins then beat Veazy in the championship in the only matchup of the whole tournament between 2 nationally ranked kids. 

Correction: Leighton Jones and Paul Clark in the semis.

Has to be Cruz. Scored the 2nd amount of team points behind Goin by .5 but beat Veazy in the finals. 

0FCA2C3D-F17D-40F7-915E-8F04BC235045.png

I gotta go with Thrine. Going into the tournament, Frazier was the odds on favorite to win comfortably as he was undefeated against Indiana competition, was an Ironman All-American, and the defending state champion ranked as high as 14th nationally, yet a true 15-year-old freshman beat him and subsequently became his school’s first state champion in 28 years and the first undefeated state champion in school history.

There are a lot of guys with a good case this year.

Hockaday prevented a senior from getting his third straight championship.

Thrine had potentially the best overall tournament run, while interestingly only having a 23-16 overall point difference.

Torres had a great tournament, and capped off probably the best overall season of anybody in the field in the process.

Goin may have looked like the most dominant champion vs. his field, and was without question the most dominant in the championship round.

Cruz picking up three falls leading to a win in a nationally ranked showdown.  By some national publications, I believe Cruz is(or has been before) the top ranked Indiana guy.

Gun to my head, I think I’m picking Goin with Cruz close behind. Though any of these five(and heck, a couple others) have a great case.

3 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

There are a lot of guys with a good case this year.

Hockaday prevented a senior from getting his third straight championship.

Thrine had potentially the best overall tournament run, while interestingly only having a 23-16 overall point difference.

Torres had a great tournament, and capped off probably the best overall season of anybody in the field in the process.

Goin may have looked like the most dominant champion vs. his field, and was without question the most dominant in the championship round.

Cruz picking up three falls leading to a win in a nationally ranked showdown.  By some national publications, I believe Cruz is(or has been before) the top ranked Indiana guy.

Gun to my head, I think I’m picking Goin with Cruz close behind. Though any of these five(and heck, a couple others) have a great case.

Same for me with Goin.  The distance between him and the field was too great.

6 hours ago, Hornet Coach said:

Bryce Lowery deserves to be mentioned in the discussion as well

Totally agree!!! Only points given up were by escapes. Beyond the tournament, Bryce didn’t allow a takedown, back points, reversal all year… any points scored were by escape. 

My MVP goes to the most dominant wrestler. Here are my picks.

1. Goin 3 pins and a major

1. Cruz 3 pins and a win against Veazy

3. Purdy- He won arguably the deepest weight class.

4. Hockaday- Major, Pin, and beat a two time champ 

5. LaRocca- 1 pin, 2 tech falls

6. Dickman- two pins and a major

7/8. Lowery and Torres for undefeated runs.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:59 PM, Legridn said:

Who you got as the best performance out of the champs at state ?  My vote is for Joey Buttler.  Only points given up were escapes.  Never in a position to be taken down.   

Dude didn’t start wrestling until 7th grade!  Unheard of now a days in a middle weight class.  Lots of dedication and hard work, and a great kid.