Best to have never won it?

Jayruss

1 minute ago, Jayruss said:

That title may now belong to Delaney Ruhlman with 3 runner-ups losing to Mendez, Goin, and Goodwin under the lights. Honorable mention: Brandon James and Craig Macke. 

Vinny Corsaro should probably be in that conversation, along with Tristen Tonte. 

Damon Hummel, Rochester 94'

Qualifier 189 Freshman year 

2nd 189 Sophomore year

2nd Hwt Junior Year

3rd Hwt Senior Year (both year his only losses to Andy Schneider)

Weighed 210, and they instituted the 215lb weight class the year after he graduated. He would have dominated that class twice.

16 minutes ago, Coplen187 said:

Damon Hummel, Rochester 94'

Qualifier 189 Freshman year 

2nd 189 Sophomore year

2nd Hwt Junior Year

3rd Hwt Senior Year (both year his only losses to Andy Schneider)

Weighed 210, and they instituted the 215lb weight class the year after he graduated. He would have dominated that class twice.

I wrestled at Southwood around the same time as Damon.  He was a couple years ahead of me, but I remember watching him wrestle...the guy was crazy good.  Super athletic.  I agree with you...he would have rolled through a 215 weight class more than once.  

Perry Meridian bias here: Brandon James and Tristen Tonte

James

• 4× All-State (3rd, 5th, 2nd, 3rd)
  • FloNationals All-American (3rd, defeated Chad Red, only Indiana wrestler to beat him during high school career)
  • NHSCA Senior All-American (4th)
  • 3× Fargo All-American
  • 172-8 record

Tonte

• 3× State Runner-Up
  • 2× NHSCA All-American (5th, 6th)
  • 157-18 record

No Brenden Campbell mention yet? 2x runner-up, third place finish, and an injury default out of the tourney as a freshman while ranked first. Only losses in his career at 201-6 were to runner-up Paul Beck, 3x champion Kyle Ayersman, champion Mason Todd(2x), champion Paul Petrov, and sadly one more as a sophomore I can’t track down.

Edited by Caleb Spires
More context

NC Trojans Alone

B. Campbell-3, 2,2 Fargo AA

#8 all time Indiana wins@201-6 

C.Mullins-4x placer- 5, 3,2,8

20+ ISWA state titles, Super 32 AA

#16 all time wins@191-11

AJ black-2x Runner up didn't even get wrestle senior year

Matt Jagger's-state runner up 4xSQ/3xplacer 7,5,2,

#5 all time@210-12

Terrell Coatie Perry/NC-didn't start wrestling until High School, and became one of the most feared athletic specimens I've ever seen, went on to be a new Castle semi-state Champion pinning two time state champ Danny Williams, and then beating the state runner up Conkling and the same season, placing at the state finals himself and hardly three years of training. 

Mac Taylor -4x medalist 6,5,3,3, held national wins record

And now #4 in Indiana @221-8

Then A few my favs from other schools..

Aaron Sessa-2x runner up and who Tylin reminds me of doing stuff you can't teach, and fireworks every time he was on the mat.

Then here's few my other favs. 

Andy Uhl, Nick Hobbs, Logan Boe, RayRay Rioux, Timmy Bradley

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

33 minutes ago, Caleb Spires said:

No Brenden Campbell mention yet? 2x runner-up, third place finish, and an injury default out of the tourney as a freshman while ranked first. Only losses in his career at 201-6 were to runner-up Paul Beck, 3x champion Kyle Ayersman, champion Mason Todd(2x), champion Paul Petrov, and sadly one more as a sophomnore I can’t track down.

He lost it the conference Finals when he was very sick but no excuse he was beaten by Huntington Norths Nick/logan Randle at the NCC championships keeping BC from being a four-time conference champion! BC had beaten him pretty handily earlier in the season for losing to him at conference. What's even crazier is that was Randall's only loss going into State at 41-1 and he would lose a heartbreaker 4-3 to Mason Todd in the first round... That 112 bracket is one of the most loaded brackets I've ever seen in the state finals history... What's even more wild is semi state that year Campbell won, the top four were Campbell, Todd, McKinley and Harvey. That is three state champs and a two-time runner-up all in the same semi state LOL.. Campbell lost to the state champ back 2-0, but that bracket had so many legendary guys that I'm going to have to post it. 

Screenshot_20230219-211746~2.png

Statistically speaking is Schoeff the “best” to never win it?  His finishes are 2, 2, 3, and 3.

Does any other non-champ have a finish total of less than 10? (2+2+3+3)

I know Corsaro was 2nd three times but his finish total adds up to 12 (6+2+2+2) because of his 6th place finish his freshman year. 

15 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

He lost it the conference Finals when he was very sick but no excuse he was beaten by Huntington Norths Nick/logan Randle at the NCC championships keeping BC from being a four-time conference champion! BC had beaten him pretty handily earlier in the season for losing to him at conference. What's even crazier is that was Randall's only loss going into State at 41-1 and he would lose a heartbreaker 4-3 to Mason Todd in the first round... That 112 bracket is one of the most loaded brackets I've ever seen in the state finals history... What's even more wild is semi state that year Campbell won, the top four were Campbell, Todd, McKinley and Harvey. That is three state champs and a two-time runner-up all in the same semi state LOL.. Campbell lost to the state champ back 2-0, but that bracket had so many legendary guys that I'm going to have to post it. 

Screenshot_20230219-211746~2.png

Only due to my relative being involved... Randle's only loss that season was to Steven Gonzales at the first dual tournament of the season, I believe to score was 3-1 or something close to that. Randle avenged it at Semi-State with a last second TD. The regular season of this weight class was insanely back-and-forth and went something like an old Freestyle round-robin tourney:

Gonzales beat Randle

Randle beat Campbell

Todd beat Gonzales

Campbell beat Todd

I'd hate to have been the rankings guy that year

Logically... it should go to whoever was a 4 time runner up. If no one, then a three time runner up. So... 

Delaney Ruhlman and Tristan Tonte are both three time runner ups. They are the only wrestlers to my knowledge who have made the finals three times without winning. 

18 minutes ago, maligned said:

I loved Alex Dolly, but what does "world placer" mean? Everyone is assigned a place. I think he did get 9th or 10th once for Ireland when he won two matches in the 32-man bracket. Maybe that's what you mean.

That’s precisely what I meant. Regardless of the process and being “assigned” a place, never winning state and being a participant at the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS seems pretty incredible. 

19 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Logically... it should go to whoever was a 4 time runner up. If no one, then a three time runner up. So... 

Delaney Ruhlman and Tristan Tonte are both three time runner ups. They are the only wrestlers to my knowledge who have made the finals three times without winning. 

I get what you are saying, but with the format of the state finals, sometimes the second best wrestler loses before the finals. Draw can impact the strength of the path so to speak. Sometimes the "finals" happen in the semis. I don't think it's as clear cut as you would initially think. 

28 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Agreed , but wasn't Vinny C a 3 time runner up as well ?