Most Impressive Freshman Campaigns

blueandgold

I am still awestruck over Tylin Thrine’s incredible freshman season; 42-0 with 32 pins including first period falls over #2 Aden Reyes of Cathedral and #7 Blake Wolf of East Central, a major decision over #14 Griffin Ingalls of Fishers, and the upset of the year over #1 (#18 nationally) defending state champion Logan Frazier of Crown Point who had been undefeated and earned bonus points against all in-state competition.

What are some other incredible freshman seasons we’ve seen? Jesse Mendez in 2019 majored returning state champion Hunter Watts en route to his first title. Jason Tsirtsis beat Cashe Quiroga en route to his first title. Any others?

36 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

Has to be Mendez.  Majoring the defending champ is a statement.  None of the others listed in this thread have done that.

Didn’t Jason Tsirtsis beat Cash Quiroga who was returning state champ and 3 time placer who also was All American the following year at Purdue? And I’m not saying Mendez freshman campaign can’t be in the running for best freshman season. I believe case can be made for multiple reasons for different ones.

Edited by JORVILLE

Always gotta compare different eras can’t we just leave it at what an incredible freshman year ? And rankings mean nothing lol that was proven this year !! Heck I think I read somewhere that they didn’t even have Ty placing 4th at semi state .. I guess they don’t really know how solid Ty is till now !! Oh let’s not forget Ty is a freak on the football field come watch him he’s fun to watch for sure !! 

Jesse Mendez 126 his freshman year. He had Hunter Watts (6-2-1-3) and Brayden Curtis (7-1-1-4) at his weight. (Others included Logan Wagner, J Conway, Kane Egli, Lucas Walendzak, Brock Peele, Ian Heath, Chase Wilkerson , Jared Brown and Ray Rioux 6-3-2-2). Jesse previously beat Watts at the Al Smith Finals 5-2.

Jesse won by fall the first two matches. Beat defending champ Watts 13-4 and beat Rioux 6-0. Curtis got upset by Rioux in the other semi final.

Thrine has to be in the top 3. He took out the defending champion Frazier (3-2-1-3). Could have easily been a two timer if Illinois didn't go crazy with Covid. 

Nick Lee's only loss was to some guy named Stevan Micic 10-3. Nick beat the returning runner up and that years runner up Zach Davis (Q-6-2-2) 13-4 at team state.  Davis only lost to Micic in the finals 9-7 and 10-5.

Edited by navy80

15 hours ago, JORVILLE said:

Didn’t Jason Tsirtsis beat Cash Quiroga who was returning state champ and 3 time placer who also was All American the following year at Purdue? And I’m not saying Mendez freshman campaign can’t be in the running for best freshman season. I believe case can be made for multiple reasons for different ones.

He did, but he also lost to him.  So, in my opinion, the loss takes him out of contention for the top spot

17 hours ago, Newcastlewrestlingfamily said:

Always gotta compare different eras can’t we just leave it at what an incredible freshman year ? And rankings mean nothing lol that was proven this year !! Heck I think I read somewhere that they didn’t even have Ty placing 4th at semi state .. I guess they don’t really know how solid Ty is till now !! Oh let’s not forget Ty is a freak on the football field come watch him he’s fun to watch for sure !! 

Who didn't have Thrine placing 4th at semi-state?

He was ranked 5th in the state, which outside 106 and 113 very few freshmen are that high. The only ones ahead of him were former state placers that he didn't see until the state series.

Rankings are based on hard data and ours are locked before sectional.

1 hour ago, R. Kendrick said:

Mason Parris.  Just a single loss in the state semi-finals to the champ at 182!  Match came to the final seconds, if I remember correctly. 

You do remember it correctly. And it was absolutely beautiful 💍

On 2/19/2023 at 2:10 PM, blueandgold said:

I am still awestruck over Tylin Thrine’s incredible freshman season; 42-0 with 32 pins including first period falls over #2 Aden Reyes of Cathedral and #7 Blake Wolf of East Central, a major decision over #14 Griffin Ingalls of Fishers, and the upset of the year over #1 (#18 nationally) defending state champion Logan Frazier of Crown Point who had been undefeated and earned bonus points against all in-state competition.

What are some other incredible freshman seasons we’ve seen? Jesse Mendez in 2019 majored returning state champion Hunter Watts en route to his first title. Jason Tsirtsis beat Cashe Quiroga en route to his first title. Any others?

The Human Ty-Lite Reel,

Ty "The 🔨 Valen" Thrine beat

5 out of the Other 7 medalists with wins  over the podium members who placed 2nd ,3rd,5th,6th,7th(2x) 

And pinned the 2xSQ/ 2022 4th placer Wolf 2x..Pinned State FINALIST Aquino- Morales 2x, beat Nasir C. As well.. So he beat 7 of the 15 Guys who made it to The state finals... Overall he had ranked wins over

#1,2,7(2x),13,14(2x),17,22.. Morales was top 15 when he pinned him 1st time.. And smiled all the way through it having fun! That's def top 3 best Freshman campaigns without a doubt! 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Although Tylin's freshman campaign may or may not be in the top couple campaigns ever, what made his state finals so captivating was the "surprise" element of it to so many of us. I think we'd far underestimated his ability for 3 reasons:

1. He took losses at his own grade level in the offseason, finishing as clearly the 3rd best kid at Middle School state, for example. 

2. Although NC certainly has a great history, more recent history says eastern Indiana kids with good records will flop at semi-state or state eventually because they (according to perception) didn't face much during the season. (I'd compare this element to what caught us off guard with Parris. ..."Lawrenceburg?..ok, we'll see at semi-state" ...and then by state, "Holy crap, this kid's going to be a national-level star.")

3. He just had a brother come through at roughly his weight range that is very good, but not national caliber.

In retrospect, we should have seen the signs, but these details whispered to us that it might be a fluke or that he might fold under pressure.

He was amazing to watch last weekend. I LOVE it when a truly gifted kid breaks out like that, and you realize he's one of those special ones that is ascending on a much sharper trajectory from the "normal" good wrestlers.

Saw it early in this thread, but I give the nod to Jason Tsirtsis.... Tshirts beating Cashe in the semis as a freshy was epic. Still my favorite match I've watched in person. Sure, Mendez beat a former state champ, too. But let's be real Watts was never on Quiroga's level. Cashe was a frickin AA at Purdue.