Orlando Cruz

QuinnHarris

First off congrats to this kid, his family, and his coaches! Incredible weekend! 

During the finals introductions I heard them say he has the Crown Point takedown record for a single season at 223 but that was before his final match. He had 2 in the finals.

225 takedowns, 37 matches, 6.1 takedowns a MATCH. On that Crown Point Schedule!!!!!! 

I think I brought it up 4-5 times during the finals how impressive I thought that was.

Again congrats to Orlando Cruz and Good Luck at Purdue! 

Not that Orlando hasn't been a very good wrestler throughout his high school career, but I was even more impressed by his wrestling this season.  He has (or at least used) more offense than in years past.  His success, in terms of his win-loss record, takedown record, speaks to the same.  He was fun to watch at State.

Not always does a wrestler continue to make big gains later in high school, but he seems to have done it.  Best part, he isn't done.  I hope the takedowns continue to add up at Purdue.

15 hours ago, regionrat1 said:

Maybe the most college ready out of the group graduating/ 

I only saw Frazier, Solomey, Torres, Goin, Cruz in person at state. What do you and other region "experts" feel like are the college-ready strengths these guys bring? 

Initial impression for me with Orlando is definitely advanced setups/hand-fighting with timing into attacks. He looks like he's in on guys as if they're drill dummies standing still.

My thought Cruz is physically ready where the others are not quit there. I can't say anything about Solomon and Torres - they did not wrestle the same level of compitition as CP. I think Cruz could make 174 in college. The others could benefit with a redshirt year. I really like Goodwin - Angel you need to be talking to that boy. 

I have seen so many times where wrestlers by the time they are seniors in high school peak out. Physically and mentally the grind gets to you. The season never really ends - don't get me wrong technically they are far superior. 

My analogy is kids throwing a curveball to young. You only have so many throws in the arm. I believe you only have so many matches in the body. 

22 minutes ago, regionrat1 said:

My thought Cruz is physically ready where the others are not quit there. I can't say anything about Solomon and Torres - they did not wrestle the same level of compitition as CP. I think Cruz could make 174 in college. The others could benefit with a redshirt year. I really like Goodwin - Angel you need to be talking to that boy. 

I have seen so many times where wrestlers by the time they are seniors in high school peak out. Physically and mentally the grind gets to you. The season never really ends - don't get me wrong technically they are far superior. 

My analogy is kids throwing a curveball to young. You only have so many throws in the arm. I believe you only have so many matches in the body. 

good analogies... the upper weights usually play football to break it up a little but the low and middle weights may not do anything else except for wrestling training year around. The mental grind is understated for sure!