STATE FINALS THREAD....Key matches and Upsets!

SIwrestling

Think the "fleeing the mat" call on McConnell was BS.  He spun around and back into Chavez, just happened to be on the edge of the mat.  Ended up not mattering, but still seemed like a generous call.

Big win for CG

Edited by SWINfan

Cannot believe the ref in McConnel-Chavez called a stalemate instead of a stalling. Just to call a stalling on the restart. That should have been the second instance and a point for Chavez.

Edited by Jam
Put stalemate instead of stalling

Just now, SWINfan said:

Think the "fleeing the mat" call on McConnell was BS.  He spun around and back into Chavez, just happened to be on the edge of the mat.  Ended up not mattering, but still seemed like a generous call.

Big win for CG

CG can thank ref 12 for that win! His stalling call in utb was the 3rd time he did it and the time before it was called stalemate. 

47 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Big win for CG

46 minutes ago, Jam said:

Cannot believe the ref in McConnel-Chavez called a stalemate instead of a stalling. Just to call a stalling on the restart. That should have been the second instance and a point for Chavez.

I'm not a ref, or ever trained to be one. I think a lot of the calls mentioned were surprising to me. Being from the region I was used to stalling not being called as frequently as  I seen today outside of  our area. I'm not saying one way is better than the other I've just always thought (my opinion) that in the past  different areas in the state had different technics. 

3 minutes ago, tyquhp13 said:

I'm not a ref, or ever trained to be one. I think a lot of the calls mentioned were surprising to me. Being from the region I was used to stalling not being called as frequently as  I seen today outside of  our area. I'm not saying one way is better than the other I've just always thought (my opinion) that in the past  different areas in the state had different technics. 

I'm with you on that.  Not an expert, but have watched a lot of wrestling.  In the match in question, there were questionable calls on both sides.  Note that doesn't make them wrong.  I didn't like the "fleeing" call and am not sure how they typically call stalling in the UTB period.  It was my impression that the referee pretty much swallowed their whistle because the battle was escape or don't allow an escape.  But I see so few of those matches I can't speak to it.  Of course, on the fleeing call, the camera did not allow a full angle so I could be wrong.  

1 hour ago, X_R A T E D said:

CG can thank ref 12 for that win! His stalling call in utb was the 3rd time he did it and the time before it was called stalemate. 

In UTB the first stalling is a stalemate. And after that it is a stalling. Since CG had no stallings he was able to hang on there at the end

27 minutes ago, BIGCATSontheMAT said:

In UTB the first stalling is a stalemate. And after that it is a stalling. Since CG had no stallings he was able to hang on there at the end

From my understanding there is no stalling in the UTB. You can pick a kid up and hold him in the air for 30 seconds if you want. 

3 minutes ago, richyy253 said:

From my understanding there is no stalling in the UTB. You can pick a kid up and hold him in the air for 30 seconds if you want. 

I was on the floor speaking with an official as this happened, I was under the impression that all the wrestler on top had to do was hold on, but he corrected me and told me that the top wrestler must work to return the bottom wrestler to the mat, and that stalling should have been called.