Kevin Whitehead's Final State Championship

Y2CJ41

On Facebook Kevin made it official that this state finals will be his last on the mic. Crazy to think an announcer has made such an impact on this sport, but he has literally become the voice of the sport. Thanks Kevin for being the voice of Indiana wrestling for 40+ years!

image.png

This is a very classy and humble post by Mr. Whitehead.  To me, his voice is as identifiable with Indiana HS wrestling as Tom Carnegie's was to the Indy 500 ("It's a new track record!") or Jerry Baker's to Indiana high school basketball.  Forty-two years is a tremendous accomplishment and certainly something to hang your hat on.

Safe travels, good health, and good luck to all wrestlers, their families, and coaches this weekend.  

If you are a wrestling fan that doesn't go to other IHSAA sports' championships, then you don't know how lucky we are. Every year I went to the gymnastics state finals, I would be so mad at how unprofessional the announcer was--mispronouncing names, giving NCAA basketball updates over the PA, making jokes about names being weird, and countless other things I've made myself forget. 

I asked Whitehead to "announce" a video of my mom's team receiving their state championship trophey, and he sent me back two versions of him belting out the jams.  What a great announcer, and what a great man for making the moment special. 

I'll include the video with Whitehead's audio, because my mom and sister make me really proud, and also to show that Whitehead is a complete badass who rages to make things great for people. His part starts at 4:15 in case the link doesn't take you there. 

19 minutes ago, Jcjcjc said:

If you are a wrestling fan that doesn't go to other IHSAA sports' championships, then you don't know how lucky we are. Every year I went to the gymnastics state finals, I would be so mad at how unprofessional the announcer was--mispronouncing names, giving NCAA basketball updates over the PA, making jokes about names being weird, and countless other things I've made myself forget. 

I asked Whitehead to "announce" a video of my mom's team receiving their state championship trophey, and he sent me back two versions of him belting out the jams.  What a great announcer, and what a great man for making the moment special. 

I'll include the video with Whitehead's audio, because my mom and sister make me really proud, and also to show that Whitehead is a complete badass who rages to make things great for people. His part starts at 4:15 in case the link doesn't take you there. 

That's awesome, I was always a Whitehead fan but even more now.

Just for nostalgia...I'll start my two favorite Kevin Whitehead names of IHSAA State Finals of the past.

TEEEEEEE. JAYYYYYY HAYES!!!!!!!!

It was a couple years of that and it got louder every year.  When I moved to Indy I remember meeting the Wagners in Zionsville's room.  My first thought was "that's the guy that ruined Mr. Whitehead saying TJ Hayes"

Mr. Whitehead was also spectacular announcing Anton Talamantez.  

When I found out I was having a son, I (half) jokingly said now I need to make sure he has a name that will sound great at state with Kevin announcing it. Kevin said that he'd likely not be announcing by the time he's in high school, so he made this. 

27 minutes ago, Ed Pendoski said:

Just for nostalgia...I'll start my two favorite Kevin Whitehead names of IHSAA State Finals of the past.

TEEEEEEE. JAYYYYYY HAYES!!!!!!!!

It was a couple years of that and it got louder every year.  When I moved to Indy I remember meeting the Wagners in Zionsville's room.  My first thought was "that's the guy that ruined Mr. Whitehead saying TJ Hayes"

Mr. Whitehead was also spectacular announcing Anton Talamantez.  

Another favorite - Sunungura Rusununguko

You all may enjoy this. Mr Whitehead reads a poem at the 1987 State Finals, A Wrestler's Mom. It starts at 2:38 in this video. Feel free to watch Jay County's back to back State Champs including the last wrestler to win state at 98 lbs.

Thank you for everything that you have done for the sport, Mr. Whitehead! I do not think the IHSAA State Tournament will ever be the same without you on the mic. 

“He’s the best! He’s the best! HE’S THE BEST!” -Kevin Whitehead after Steven Bradley capped off his senior season with his 3rd consecutive state title. 

And, one of my all time personal favorites:

”Alec VIDUUUUUUUUYA!”

Can someone start a GoFundMe to get an audio recording professional to sit down with Kevin and create an audio index of every imaginable wrestling term and name which we can just play at state next year.  I’ll gladly take a computerized Kevin if we no longer can get the real thing. 

Edited by MattM

8 hours ago, bwoodjc89 said:

You all may enjoy this. Mr Whitehead reads a poem at the 1987 State Finals, A Wrestler's Mom. It starts at 2:38 in this video. Feel free to watch Jay County's back to back State Champs including the last wrestler to win state at 98 lbs.

Off topic, I remember Jay county having a damn good program then

I have a really good friend in media. In his spare time he does PA for major sports for a D1 university.  He accompanied me to the IHSAA State Finals many years ago & we had press passes.  While taking everything in early Saturday he said "this guy on the mic is really da** good!". After we capped off the final that night he couldn't stop talking about how good the announcer was, and he still makes comments about this 30 years later.  Legend.

27 minutes ago, Greg Ratliff said:

Someone beat me to it… but I was going to say “DJ RADNOVICH!”

I didn't have the $$ to watch DJ at state while we were teammates. Still mad that I missed it. So happy this year to be going and hearing "CLAYTON DEUTSCHER" 

I have been fortunate to be a part of Indiana High School Wrestling for many years.  Kevin has been the voice of my memories for as long as I can remember.  All I have to do is close my eyes to hear his voice thundering the calls forever etched in my mind.  Indiana High School Wrestlers and Coaches have been blessed that Kevin has shared his voice with us for decades!  

Thanks for the memories, Kevin!

Randy Helfrich

Mater Dei Wrestling

1978-2007