Semi-State Upsets and Key Matches!

navy80

Schroeder with a big win over Purdy!  9-5

Schroeder fell behind early to both Henry and Purdy and kept wrestling coming back to beat both.  Beating Purdy avenged his only loss on the season, 5-2 at the Mooresville Holiday Classic.  Could easily see these 2 again next week.  Then again, don't count out Henry or McConnell either, as has been referenced.  This whole group is impressive!

Edited by SWINfan

33 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Beautiful last second throw by Luke Kemper!  Down 7-6 with time winding down, Kemper gets the takedown to back for a 2 and 2 as time expired to beat Andre Merritt 10-7.  Merritt had been very impressive all day.  Heckuva match!

I got to see that once my feed came back, very impressive!

48 minutes ago, Nate Spangle said:

This kid is one of a kind. 

A foundational piece of our transformation and an amazing addition to our culture.

A Senior that could have taken the easy route to punch his ticket. Made the choice that he wanted to wrestle and work to earn it. Pushed the eventual semi-state champ all 6 minutes.

That mindset will serve him more in the long run than a state appearance.

I’ll forever be a fan of John Rushenberg. 

Rushenbergs are great people! 

57 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Beautiful last second throw by Luke Kemper!  Down 7-6 with time winding down, Kemper gets the takedown to back for a 2 and 2 as time expired to beat Andre Merritt 10-7.  Merritt had been very impressive all day.  Heckuva match!

I wasn't sure Kemper was going to go to the end after getting face planted on a mat return.  Good match.

Regarding John Rushenberg not taking a win on an illegal move or whatever:   John and the entire Rushenberg family are all class all day.  I wasn’t there and have seen nothing.  I’m completely confident in saying there was never a moment in John’s mind or the Rushenberg family to take a dive.  That is not how they roll.  All class and hard work all day.  They all have strong character no matter the situation.  

14 hours ago, nk140 said:

Turner goes down in a very controversial call.  On video the buzzer went off before they gave 2 reversal.  bang bang call.  With review it would have been overturned

I looked at the video. It looks like the wrestler completed the move to earn the reversal before the buzzer went off. The ref awarded the points just after the buzzer. To count only the wrestler has to beat the buzzer, not the ref. 

6 hours ago, bravegrappler1992 said:

Didn’t age well. Credit Ocampo battling through nose injury in finals. Veazy manhandled Lone. 

What do you mean didn't age well? we won our first 6 matches had 6 in the ticket round for the first time in 20 years? I'll take it. 2 to State and a Champion? I'll take it.  4th in the Semi-State when we are a Public School in the city.  I'll take it.  2 returning ticket rounders and 2 returning quali's?; I'll take it. Quite possibly securing our first invitation ever to Team State?  I'll take it.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

1 hour ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

What do you mean didn't age well? we won our first 6 matches had 6 in the ticket round for the first time in 20 years? I'll take it. 2 to State and a Champion? I'll take it.  4th in the Semi-State when we are a Public School in the city.  I'll take it.  2 returning ticket rounders and 2 returning quali's?; I'll take it. Quite possibly securing our first invitation ever to Team State?  I'll take it.

yeah, I was waiting for the last part. 
good work, Snider! 

1 hour ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Snider looked tough as nails yesterday, good work from some very hard working kids.

28 minutes ago, Tcarter said:

Snider looked tough as nails yesterday, good work from some very hard-working kids.

The young Eastside kids looked good as well. The next few years should be fun to watch. Wouldn't it be great to see a year where Eastside take several kids to state and brings back some medals. Good Job and good luck next weekend, maybe bust some brackets with a 4 over 1. 

9 hours ago, bravegrappler1992 said:

Beck stalled in match before, never called. Should have wrestled for 3/4. 

Was Beck stalling when he rode him out for 2 minutes in the 2nd? 

Martin couldn't get an escape in 2 minutes when fresher.  Not sure why you'd assume he could have done it in overtime.

Edit: NM.  You are from Bellmont and are just supporting your guy.  I can appreciate that.  Thought you were an unbiased observer. (I'm not as well.)

Edited by Coplen187
Noticed things

1 hour ago, boomer said:

The young Eastside kids looked good as well. The next few years should be fun to watch. Wouldn't it be great to see a year where Eastside take several kids to state and brings back some medals. Good Job and good luck next weekend, maybe bust some brackets with a 4 over 1. 

Thank you!! Eastside is on rise, big things coming.  We have some awesome young talent and more on the way.  Some heavy hitters coming up from the Jr. High program in the next few years and a phenominal coaching staff, stay tuned...

4 hours ago, chambers said:

I looked at the video. It looks like the wrestler completed the move to earn the reversal before the buzzer went off. The ref awarded the points just after the buzzer. To count only the wrestler has to beat the buzzer, not the ref. 

Better watch again. There is absolutely no way that was a reversal.

2 hours ago, Tcarter said:

Snider looked tough as nails yesterday, good work from some very hard working kids.

You are a class act young man. My fiance has covid or I would've been there to cheer you on in person. Great job punching your ticket! I heard from some very reliable sources you are the truth on that gridiron as well.  Good luck to you and your teammates at state and what ever avenues you partake.  I predict a 4 over a 1 next week. Go Harder Carter!