2023 Elementary Heartland Duals Team

JMILL

Heartland Wrestle Off Process

The following roster was selected by the committee for Heartland Duals. If you would like to challenge for a spot the process will go as follows.

1.    You must request a challenge via email to Ryan@contenderswrestling.com. Request will be taken up to 14th at 6pm.

2.    The challenge date will be either February 22 or 25. This will be chosen by the team member and will be held in the Indianapolis area. You must be able to make the date given there will be no make up dates.

3.    If multiple people request a challenge, there will be a mini- tournament with the winner of that challenging the team member.

4.    You must win a best of three series with the team member.

Heartland duals is held in Council Bluffs, Iowa. The dates for the tournament are March 24-26th. The cost of the trip is $300 and includes entry and Team Indiana gear.

Any further questions can be sent to Ryan Parrish  at the email above or via call: 317-213-8598

**MS team still being finalized and will be posted soon

Heartland Elementary                                 

Vincent Obergon

Suncere Dickman

Layten Marsh

Colton Herigis

Oliver Guernsey

Karsten Casteter

D’Angelo Chavez

Colton Wiseman

Max Kessinger

Henry Antrobus

Deacon Gibbs

Haedyn Cochran

Dron Scott

Alex Ponce

Max Kleeberg

Max Cantu

Ty Whitten

Vaughn Wyatt

JJ Doty

Harper Lee

Brody Weimer

Dalton Jones

Cameron Cooper

Noah Plahitko

Hayden Mullins

River Lilly

Noah Fitzgerald

Todd Gonzales

Gavin Brown

Ellis Jones

Bryce Harrel

Skylar Mack

Mason Heidleberger

Max Creager

Middle School Heartland Wrestle Off Process

The following roster was selected by the committee for Heartland Duals. If you would like to challenge for a spot the process will go as follows.

1. You must request a challenge via email to Ryan@contenderswrestling.com. Request will be taken up to Feb. 21st at 6pm.

2. The challenge date will be done on a case by case basis. They will be held in the Indianapolis area. You must be able to make the date given there will be no make up dates. If multiple people request a challenge, there will be a mini- tournament with the winner of that challenging the team member.

3. You must win a best of three series with the team member.

4. Heartland duals is held in Council Bluffs, Iowa. The dates for the tournament are March 24-26th. The cost of the trip is $300 and includes entry and Team Indiana gear.

Any further questions can be sent to Ryan Parrish at the email above or via call: 317-213-8598 or Jason Miller 219-730-9489

Middle School

75 Connor Maddox; Javier Salas III

80 Cam Schofield; Lukas Scott

85 Traevon Ducking; Reed Whicker

90 Sabastian Gracia; Jacob Powers

95 Dallas Rosenberger; Nicholas Freeze

102 Justin Williamson; Pat Dowty

110 Colin Strayer; Lincoln Underwood

117 Tony Kessinger; Bo Jackson

125 Gavin Lewis; Cohen Long

132 Lincoln Cooper;  Amrin Pratt

140 Elijah Guyer;  Jonah Strain

150 MJ Staples;  Aidan Kincaide

160 Lucas Boe;  Aleksandar Tatum

175 Benjamin Clark;  Paul Woods

195 Ceasar Salas;  Kellan Fellure

220 Zachary Clark;  Colin McMahon

HWT Tony Brooks;  Carson Powell

Edited by JMILL
updated

10 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I would like to request a wrestle-off with Jason Miller aka @JMILL. Give me the date and time and I'm there!

Feb 29th 2023 at high noon.  We can do it in my garage as the current #1 seed gets choice, also I get to set the weight and I say no allowance and we will need to be scratch at 119 so if you are not able to make that then you will FF.  Rules are rules sir

All teams updated for current roster spots. 

Challenges for spots on elementary are this Friday and Sat and MS will likely be next Friday.  We have some challenges so these spots could change.  Stay tuned as we continue efforts to try to send the best kids available at each weight out to Heartland 2023 to represent Team IN !!!!

Curious, why is there not a tournament or an invitation to pick the team? Being on team Indiana is a big honor, so I would assume this event would be very well attended.

Also if the team is being based off of a committee, could you provide any insight to which events the group took into account when picking the teams? Are there any events that are more significant in picking team members or is it an overall body of work concept?  I am mainly asking for elementary, but I would assume others would wonder the same information for the middle school team as well.

sorry @ENoblewrestling just seeing this post. 

We have done this in the past with a wrestle off challenge date for all spots.  It started off well attended and then with timing wise people stopped coming due to conflicts with FS wrestling and spring breaks and they also started to figure out they could still get on team even if they did not come and we had to call people to fill spots.

We decided to form a committee this year of 2 ISWA board members (Myself--Kids director & Ryan Parrish--folkstyle development director). 
We then took the elementary duals team state large division coach and small division coach, the Middle school team duals winning coach. (Garland Cooper--New Pal; Cameron Harris--Leo; Doug Strayer--CP)
We then looked at the state representation for all those people and had 2 at large spots for any other part of the state not represented or a person who just knows kids in the state (for those we had Matt Kelly and Dustin Bentz)

With this group of guys we had 3 zoom calls and used the last years Folkstyle State, National level events, MS state, elementary duals results, MS duals results, head to head results and also just common sense and we all agreed who are the 2 best kids 6th grade and under for elementary and 6th grade to 8th grade for MS.

We then listed the team and opened it up for any challenges by non selected kids for the selected spots and we did have about 10 of those on a Friday/Sat at a centrally located facility with an IHSAA/ISWA mat official.  There was only 1 instance that I can think of that the selections made were changed.

Bottom line is people in the know always know who the kids are that are the best at each weight for these teams.  In the past we were not always getting them due to vacation and other conflicts and kids coming to the wrestle offs to wrestle off were getting the spots but maybe not our best kids at that weight.

If this process does not seem like it worked then we will look to modify or tweak it again because our goal is to send the best Team IN teams we can out to Heartland to represent the state.

Thanks for your question and if you have any others please do not hesitate to reach out.