Team State qualification leaderboard 2023 (FINAL)

maligned

12 hours ago, X_R A T E D said:

Here's how 1a would look if we did the top 3 (with each teams current place after regional) from each semi state to have even involvement. 5 top 12 teams wouldn't even be competing at Team State if we used this method. 

Fort Wayne: Rochester (1), Cowan (2), North Miami (3)

East Chicago: West Central (7), Faith Christian (13), Seeger (21)

New Castle: Southmont (8), Rossville (14), Eastern Hancock (17)

Evansville: Cascade (5), Tell City (12), Switzerland County (22)

And imagine if we did top 2 from each semi state in 3a and 4a. In 4a, the Fort Wayne teams would be Homestead who is in 15th place and Elkhart in 20th currently.

It would be nice to see more representation across the state but 1a and 2a has many good teams in the Fort Wayne area. Fort Wayne also hasn't been represented well in 3a and 4a when you look at the history of this event. The only goal of Team State should be to invite the top 12 or top 8 teams to make the best event possible! 

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I think I'd be ok with this setup. 😬

5 hours ago, Steven Sandefer said:

Mishawaka 220 is now officially moving on to ECSS. Not sure how much that effects our points?

4 hours ago, brickfor6 said:

I don't think it effects anything, unless they win first round of SS.

brickfor6 is right. Otherwise, we'd be awarding an extra set of SS points to your regional. But if he wins, he obviously steps into that new scoring tier he earned.

• maligned changed the title to Team State qualification leaderboard (thru SEMI-STATE)
6 minutes ago, rhayes said:

So how many points do you lose when you have a freshman, that was in the lineup all year,  gets a season ending injury the week before sectionals? 

As has been explained to me, you’re bleep out of luck. SA would be auto in if we didn’t have two late injuries and a missed weight. Still not sure how the points spit out the returning 5th place finisher that returns 12 of 14 starters outside the auto bid. We’ll earn our spot again next December. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

As has been explained to me, you’re bleep out of luck. SA would be auto in if we didn’t have two late injuries and a missed weight. Still not sure how the points spit out the returning 5th place finisher that returns 12 of 14 starters outside the auto bid. We’ll earn our spot again next December. 

It's tough. As someone who likes to see the strongest teams involved, I genuinely wince to see weakened sectional lineups from deserving teams. But if we want to keep qualification as a competition (with 2 vote-ins to catch the bad luck teams), there are always going to be cases of horrible timing with injuries. It's no different than placing 6th instead of 2nd at a conference tournament because of 3 starters being out. It's bad luck and a raw deal and we go win the next one, like you said about December. Best of luck in the offseason. You guys have a great program.

Edited by maligned

I will get to work scheduling wild card weekend if we can get 5 other schools in. 

12/9 we could host in Indy. (We can't schedule earlier than this because of football) 

Garrett doesn't look like they have anything

RC hosts a Super Dual

Peru doesn't look like they have anything

Angola doesn't look like they have anything

Glenn hosts a super dual

Southridge has the PAC (might be tough to move) 

Totally understand if coaches don't want to realign their schedules to make this work. We will host/ travel anywhere to earn a wildcard spot. 

12/2 we see Cascade, Owen Valley, and South Putnam. (Maybe Monrovia as well) 
We see Hamilton Heights the following week. 

If we can get a chunk of those 11-20 teams to see each other in early December it could help find the best 2 wild card teams. 

• maligned changed the title to Team State qualification leaderboard 2023 (thru SEMI-STATE)

A couple more injury updates have been added.  To remind people how these points are added in:

1. We remove 75% of your team's average per-wrestler score (this is an estimate of a team's JV level).

2. We "replace" that value with the level reached last year by the injured wrestler who is returning next year. 

Example just completed for Zionsville:

Starting score 166.

Calculated 75% of team average: 9.

Replace the 9 with 13 semi-state points earned in 2022 by a kid coming back in 2023-24 who was out for sectional in 2023 due to injury.

Score moves from 166 to 170.

• maligned changed the title to Team State qualification leaderboard 2023 (FINAL)

The new version of the Team State qualification leaderboard in the first post is now final.

More than any year I can remember, the margins were very, very thin between getting in automatically and needing to be one of the two voted-in teams. Numerous teams were close enough that even one more level of advancement by any wrestler would have resulted in qualification.

Remember too that the rule was changed by coaches' preference to now do vote-ins for both final wildcards in all classes in December just before the holidays.

Edited by maligned

33 minutes ago, maligned said:

All the starred teams on the leaderboard have one additional starter back from injury or transfer situations.

Does it take away from points that were in that same weight? 

does a team like CP get double points for Evan Cruz(jr) at 138 then Kaptur(jr) qualify for semi state at 38? 

Honest question not complaining 

7 minutes ago, ontherise219 said:

Does it take away from points that were in that same weight? 

does a team like CP get double points for Evan Cruz(jr) at 138 then Kaptur(jr) qualify for semi state at 38? 

Honest question not complaining 

In short, definitely not. This was my explanation of the application of injury situations  from last week further up this page:

On 2/15/2023 at 3:37 PM, maligned said:

A couple more injury updates have been added.  To remind people how these points are added in:

1. We remove 75% of your team's average per-wrestler score (this is an estimate of a team's JV level).

2. We "replace" that value with the level reached last year by the injured wrestler who is returning next year. 

Example just completed for Zionsville:

Starting score 166.

Calculated 75% of team average: 9.

Replace the 9 with 13 semi-state points earned in 2022 by a kid coming back in 2023-24 who was out for sectional in 2023 due to injury.

Score moves from 166 to 170.

Edited by maligned

Stinks that the Hobart Regional was Category 2 this year... 

Hobart Regional: 9 qualifiers, 6 placers, 3 semi-finalist

Logansport had 2 placers from the same school. They were a category 3.  

IF is the biggest 2 letter word in the dictionary. 

Hobart was on the cuff of making it as an autobid. Our HWT only scored sectional points, and wrestled at the semi-state. Our 220 Scored only regional points and wrestled at the semi- State. IF they would have won 1st round of SS, that would have boosted our score by 29 points I believe. (Putting us in 3rd)

@malignedI know this is a ton of work, but I just wanted to say thank you. I believe we are good enough to be there next year. 2 Returning State medalist, 5 returning semi-state qualifiers, and some MS wrestlers that will make an immediate impact. 2 of which are ranked #4 & #22 on the MS Rankings on Indianamat.

Edited by brickfor6