Middle School qualifiers

pupp44

1 hour ago, KyleM said:

I understand what your saying, but this is a little different. Kids have to make weight at what they qualified I thought? Maybe I’m wrong.. but I would venture to say most coming down will make weight. 

Can’t be until the end of registration because of kids that went to Tulsa. Can they choose any weight class or do they have to wrestle the weight they weighed at Tulsa?

2 hours ago, KyleM said:

I understand what your saying, but this is a little different. Kids have to make weight at what they qualified I thought? Maybe I’m wrong.. but I would venture to say most coming down will make weight. 

I’d just venture to say they don’t know who will sign up, who will miss weight, who will no show, etc…

47 minutes ago, pupp44 said:

Can’t be until the end of registration because of kids that went to Tulsa. Can they choose any weight class or do they have to wrestle the weight they weighed at Tulsa?

Tulsa weights didn’t align with our MS weights, so I’m assuming they just get to pick but don’t know that for a fact. 

On 1/29/2023 at 9:33 AM, julia2009 said:

Someone above posted about food/drink spilled everywhere at Carmel.  The no food/drink in the field house is to protect the facility.  

$20 early weigh-ins are standard at most regional/national events.  You are not required to weigh-in then.  A wrestler can weigh-in for free the next day.  

Most other tournaments allow a "free" weigh-in later in the same evening. This is flat out paying for a competitive advantage. This is not right and should be corrected with a free weigh-in on Saturday night.

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

That is an absolutely absurd to put a price on a competitive advantage. It is disgusting that the people in charge of this tournament let this happen. 

Spicy..... I like it Y2, bring the fire!!!!

That being said, I'll be there w/ my 20 Saturday night.... hhahahaha

5 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

That is an absolutely absurd to put a price on a competitive advantage. It is disgusting that the people in charge of this tournament let this happen. 

1) I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not haha. 2) I do agree that every kid should have the same amount of time from weighing in until their event starts. If you can do early weigh ins, instead of having a money grab, every one should weigh in at the same time. It's pretty simple to me. 

7 minutes ago, Cmoney125 said:

1) I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not haha. 2) I do agree that every kid should have the same amount of time from weighing in until their event starts. If you can do early weigh ins, instead of having a money grab, every one should weigh in at the same time. It's pretty simple to me. 

I'm being serious, paying to weigh in 12 hours ahead of time is putting a price on a competitive advantage. 

Most tournaments will have early weigh-ins the night before, but also have a free one a couple hours later. A few hours doesn't give you a competitive advantage like 12 hours does.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:25 PM, Cameron10483 said:

1-4 didn’t matter either. 

I think they’re treating 1-4 as equal and 5-8 as equal. So a 1 can wrestle a 5, 2 vs 5, etc. 

The way I understand is any Tulsa placer gets thrown into 1-4 and any Tulsa DNP is 5-8. 

Also, we went to Columbus North and it was great!

Good luck to everyone!

Not saying you’re wrong but curious where you got that seeding info from?  The recently released flyer uses a term “Regionals” which I imagine refers to the 4 Qualifiers, but correct me if I’m wrong. It then states:  

PLACEMENTS FROM EACH QUALIFIER WILL BE SEEDED ACCORDINGLY:

-TULSA PLACE WINNERS
-REGIONAL CHAMPS
-REGIONAL RUNNER UPS
-3rd & 4th PLACE AT REGIONAL SITES
-TULSA COMPETITOR

The flyer is silent on qualifier 5-8 placers so not sure why you lump them in with Tulsa DNP in your comments. They seem to clearly list Tulsa Competitor in seeding considerations but not 5-8 so doesn’t seem they lump them together. I also interpreted that list as being “in order”. In other words seed priority is Tulsa placers > Qualifier Champs > Qualifier Runner Ups > 3/4 at Qualifiers > Tulsa DNP.  And then assuming no language on Qualifier 5-8 means Tulsa DNP > Qualifier 5-8. 

This would make sense in the context of another poster wishing they knew they could go back and tell their wrestlers 5-8 didn’t matter except to get you in to the event. 

What am I misunderstanding?

Edited by Lawdiggity
Clarification

Putting a 12u Tulsa place winner over a qualifier champion doesn't make much sense. 12u placements shouldn't really have consideration in a 15u tourney. Ijs.. Also to be perfectly frank, if you're gonna let kids qualify without having to show up to the qualifier, which then makes seeding subjective instead of concrete, don't have qualifiers. 

3 hours ago, Cmoney125 said:

Putting a 12u Tulsa place winner over a qualifier champion doesn't make much sense. 12u placements shouldn't really have consideration in a 15u tourney. Ijs.. Also to be perfectly frank, if you're gonna let kids qualify without having to show up to the qualifier, which then makes seeding subjective instead of concrete, don't have qualifiers. 

Right. What do you do with 4 guys that won a qualifier plus someone who placed at Tulsa? Throws off the whole concept of seeding.

8 hours ago, Cmoney125 said:

Curious - why call it a 15U tourney?  6th grade is middle school and there are 12U 6th graders, right?  If technically 12U could be in middle school why not include those winners if you are going to include 15U Tulsa winners. On the flip side there are 15U kids who are in high school. I guess my point is if you’re going to give consideration to Tulsa winners (and I’m not saying that is right or wrong) then include 12U too. 

6 hours ago, Lawdiggity said:

Curious - why call it a 15U tourney?  6th grade is middle school and there are 12U 6th graders, right?  If technically 12U could be in middle school why not include those winners if you are going to include 15U Tulsa winners. On the flip side there are 15U kids who are in high school. I guess my point is if you’re going to give consideration to Tulsa winners (and I’m not saying that is right or wrong) then include 12U too. 

I don't think he's saying exclude them. I think he's questioning whether it makes sense to seed a 12U Tulsa placer over an 8th grader who won a qualifier, which is what the listed criteria would seem to do. 

45 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

I don't think he's saying exclude them. I think he's questioning whether it makes sense to seed a 12U Tulsa placer over an 8th grader who won a qualifier, which is what the listed criteria would seem to do. 

I interpreted it the same way. I didn’t mean exclude as in not let them wrestle. I meant exclude them from seeding consideration.  Let me state that I’m not giving an opinion on whether or not Tulsa placement should be a seeding factor. What I am saying, however, is that if 12U kids also go to middle school (some 6th graders) and this is a middle school tourney, those Tulsa winners should get the same treatment as their fellow 7th and 8th grade Tulsa winners.  If you guys are saying a 6th grade Tulsa winner should not be above an 8th grade qualifier placer then you are by default introducing a new consideration - that grade level matters. That ignores the fact that they are all in middle school.  So should we further separate them all with grade criteria?  No, of course not. If a middle school kid goes out to Tulsa and wins and they happen to be a 6th grader I feel we have to consistently give them credit if we are doing it for the 7th and 8th. And for the record I don’t even have a Tulsa kid. Just my two cents. Thanks for the other perspectives on this. 

Edited by Lawdiggity
Spelling

Who are the defending champs wrestling today?

75lbs has last years champ Spenser McCammon 65lbs 6th grade and 75lbs champ Alex Huddleston 8th grade. They should meet in the semi finals. 

Any others?

2 hours ago, navy80 said:

Who are the defending champs wrestling today?

75lbs has last years champ Spenser McCammon 65lbs 6th grade and 75lbs champ Alex Huddleston 8th grade. They should meet in the semi finals. 

Any others?

in a battle of champs, Spenser gets a takedown to go up 4-3 to upset Huddleston.

My lil guy Carver was on 🔥🔥🔥 pinning all 5 his opponents on way to the finals in a under a combined 8 minutes and beat a Savage, Land in finals 6-2! Top 4 at Fargo then this run here will put him in the p4p top.25 rankings next season!!! 

Only thing I think he needs to work on is, getting a few Significant wins on track, 136 for the year isn't going to cut it 😂

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

On 2/6/2023 at 6:56 AM, FCFIGHTER170 said:

My lil guy Carver was on 🔥🔥🔥 pinning all 5 his opponents on way to the finals in a under a combined 8 minutes and beat a Savage, Land in finals 6-2! Top 4 at Fargo then this run here will put him in the p4p top.25 rankings next season!!! 

Only thing I think he needs to work on is, getting a few Significant wins on track, 136 for the year isn't going to cut it 😂

He was on fire. Loved to watch him. That whole crew was pretty solid. Land is no joke for sure. Watch out for all 8 of these kids.