Middle School qualifiers

pupp44

Honestly, I think this is a great plan. I thought the event was smooth and well run. I like the idea of a qualifier and advancement with seeding. 

It’s almost like a mini-state. If you have young wrestlers that have never participated in an event larger than local or a greater metro tournament, this was a good entry into bigger wrestling with higher expectations.

Wrestling for a reason matters too. Watching young people understand the idea of winning one or two more or wrestling for seeding was refreshing. 

Edited by Jason Heisler

24 minutes ago, Jason Heisler said:

Honestly, I think this is a great plan. I thought the event was smooth and well run. I like the idea of a qualifier and advancement with seeding. 

It’s almost like a mini-state. If you have young wrestlers that have never participated in an event larger than local or a greater metro tournament, this was a good entry into bigger wrestling with higher expectations.

Wrestling for a reason matters too. Watching young people understand the idea of winning one or two more or wrestling for seeding was refreshing. 

Do you know how the seeding will work?

44 minutes ago, Jason Heisler said:

No I don’t, but the way they handled 2nd/3rd makes me think that the tournament will be seeded based on placing here which is how it should be done. 

I agree. Just using separation criteria can be sketchy and unnecessary when you have placements. Only tough part will be with the Tulsa kids.

2 hours ago, pupp44 said:

What’s everyones thoughts on these now that they have happened? Just curious. 

Columbus North was great and they really tried to get the kids excited and feel special. They dimmed the lights in the gym, cranked up some music, they had lights circling around the gym, Ratliff was on the mic pumping the kids up … you would have thought you were at the state finals! All the kids were jacked up and ready to have a good time. I thought it was really cool for the kids ! 

I reffed and a kid compete at North.

It's a win win all around, good for programs, good for state. It can make state and being a state qualifier feel more special going forward. 

Also hats off to Jenn Ratliff for making certificates for all of the state qualifiers, not sure every regional did that. 

I know Madison was pumped to have 12 state qualifiers and that can be used to grow the program!

Plymouth did a good job. 
The only thing I’m curious about is how they will seed Tulsa kids as well. I’m not crazy about the fact they got to see how everything played out before they commit to a weight. 
The seeding part is interesting, for the most part most people around the sport know many of the kids that competed at Tulsa… that said say a 6th or 7th grader competing at Novice division even with some nice criteria shouldn’t be seeded over a good 8th grade kid necessarily that say has lost maybe to some top notch kids. There are some exceptions of course … Hinchman, Flores etc. 

Then the only other thing I’m not sure I agreed with, saw it happen in one division and the question was asked, Why were girls that won’t be wrestling in the boys division for state allowed in the boys bracket? Reason being I guess knocking boys out of a placement or seeding then going into another tournament.  Outside of those things I think it was pretty good… and I was skeptical. 

17 hours ago, Jason Heisler said:

No I don’t, but the way they handled 2nd/3rd makes me think that the tournament will be seeded based on placing here which is how it should be done. 

I agree. Just using separation criteria can be sketchy and unnecessary when you have placements. Only tough part will be with the Tulsa kids.

Previous post...very good questions.  I'd like to add to those....are you sure there will be seeding style criteria from placements?  Or will it just be normal separation criteria.  I haven't heard any solid information from anyone that is in charge or running the tournaments that makes me think that this will happen.  I might be surprised, but I see it being a blind draw with separation criteria for quarters, like it always is.    

Also...I think next year whomever does go to Tulsa...needs to declare his/her weight in MS State before going to Tulsa and then using their weigh-in to certify that legitimacy for qualifying.  Since it is being used as an automatic qualifier.  The only negative is they would only have until that Thursday when they weigh in, unlike most have until Sunday...Not hard to ask for Indiana weights from Tulsa.  

44 minutes ago, CoachJones said:

Previous post...very good questions.  I'd like to add to those....are you sure there will be seeding style criteria from placements?  Or will it just be normal separation criteria.  I haven't heard any solid information from anyone that is in charge or running the tournaments that makes me think that this will happen.  I might be surprised, but I see it being a blind draw with separation criteria for quarters, like it always is.    

Also...I think next year whomever does go to Tulsa...needs to declare his/her weight in MS State before going to Tulsa and then using their weigh-in to certify that legitimacy for qualifying.  Since it is being used as an automatic qualifier.  The only negative is they would only have until that Thursday when they weigh in, unlike most have until Sunday...Not hard to ask for Indiana weights from Tulsa.  

Is having this on a different weekend than Tulsa an option? Could the qualifiers be on different dates from each other as well to give people some flexibility? 

Edited by Silence Dogood

4 hours ago, Slop Drop and Roll said:

Plymouth did a good job. 
The only thing I’m curious about is how they will seed Tulsa kids as well. I’m not crazy about the fact they got to see how everything played out before they commit to a weight. 
The seeding part is interesting, for the most part most people around the sport know many of the kids that competed at Tulsa… that said say a 6th or 7th grader competing at Novice division even with some nice criteria shouldn’t be seeded over a good 8th grade kid necessarily that say has lost maybe to some top notch kids. There are some exceptions of course … Hinchman, Flores etc. 

Then the only other thing I’m not sure I agreed with, saw it happen in one division and the question was asked, Why were girls that won’t be wrestling in the boys division for state allowed in the boys bracket? Reason being I guess knocking boys out of a placement or seeding then going into another tournament.  Outside of those things I think it was pretty good… and I was skeptical. 

I would think a lot of kids weights would be a weight class higher than Tulsa weight. Those National Level tournaments are full of kids coming down a good amount of weight usually.

21 hours ago, jonah7474 said:

Columbus North was great and they really tried to get the kids excited and feel special. They dimmed the lights in the gym, cranked up some music, they had lights circling around the gym, Ratliff was on the mic pumping the kids up … you would have thought you were at the state finals! All the kids were jacked up and ready to have a good time. I thought it was really cool for the kids ! 

Awesome to hear about that experience at Columbus North. We attended the Carmel qualifier. Well run and no complaints, so we are grateful to Carmel and all their volunteers.  It was really crowded since they ran it simultaneously with their “Open” tourney so the gym was really packed.  No bleachers so there were “chair camps” everywhere you had to weave through (often with water or drinks spilled on the ground). But I wouldn’t say that is a complaint as it is like that pretty much at most youth tourneys.  Again, Carmel ran an on-time and great event so hats off. Suggestion for improvement would only be to learn more about what Columbus did and possibly run the Open in either the main gym or field house and the qualifier in the other. Main gym was open but of course there could be a dozen reasons they couldn’t use the gym so might not even be an option. But would help with the crowd and that gym is top notch and would be like a mini-New Castle HS set up with their cool layout. Great day though. Thanks again Carmel. 

I'm fairly new to all of this, so forgive my ignorance!  From what the event flyer said for the Plymouth Qualifier, The Finals will be seeded according to the placement in each qualifier.  We've been to a few tourneys now, and I thought the Plymouth Qualifier went well, other than too many people standing around the mats.  I thought it would have been nice if the kids who qualified would have at least gotten a certificate or something.  Sounds like the Columbus North Qualifier did a great job.

I do have a couple of questions about the Finals though.  I haven't seen an event flyer for the finals, but I'm assuming weigh-ins will be the same as the qualifiers as far as times and options to weigh in early??  Also, I know I have to register my son for the finals, but is there a tournament fee for that one also?  I haven't been on track to check that yet.  

You guys are a great community and we love being a part of this!

Edited by ashotts

22 hours ago, Lawdiggity said:

Awesome to hear about that experience at Columbus North. We attended the Carmel qualifier. Well run and no complaints, so we are grateful to Carmel and all their volunteers.  It was really crowded since they ran it simultaneously with their “Open” tourney so the gym was really packed.  No bleachers so there were “chair camps” everywhere you had to weave through (often with water or drinks spilled on the ground). But I wouldn’t say that is a complaint as it is like that pretty much at most youth tourneys.  Again, Carmel ran an on-time and great event so hats off. Suggestion for improvement would only be to learn more about what Columbus did and possibly run the Open in either the main gym or field house and the qualifier in the other. Main gym was open but of course there could be a dozen reasons they couldn’t use the gym so might not even be an option. But would help with the crowd and that gym is top notch and would be like a mini-New Castle HS set up with their cool layout. Great day though. Thanks again Carmel. 

Sounds like Carmel did a great job. I will say it felt like Columbus North had plenty of space and seating. There was a “holding area” for the kids who were not on deck or in the hole and for the most part, they did a good job following it. I knew there was a beginners tournament but didn’t notice it. If Columbus North hosts a qualifier next year I will be there and not think twice. 

25 kids from our MS squad wrestled at CN, well ran tournament and tough competition.  Now looking at state on track, not sure why the wrestler list wouldn't be released... common knowledge who is attending 8 kids from each qualifier (their weights cant be changed) and the tulsa kids.  Just make coaches jobs harder keeping track of their own teams, and  what kids have and have not registered and what parents you need to remind to register. 

Also looking back I wish we would've known that 5/6/7/8th place didn't matter at the qualifiers. 

Edited by Coach Coop

4 hours ago, Coach Coop said:

25 kids from our MS squad wrestled at CN, well ran tournament and tough competition.  Now looking at state on track, not sure why the wrestler list wouldn't be released... common knowledge who is attending 8 kids from each qualifier (their weights cant be changed) and the tulsa kids.  Just make coaches jobs harder keeping track of their own teams, and  what kids have and have not registered and what parents you need to remind to register. 

Also looking back I wish we would've known that 5/6/7/8th place didn't matter at the qualifiers. 

1-4 didn’t matter either. 

I think they’re treating 1-4 as equal and 5-8 as equal. So a 1 can wrestle a 5, 2 vs 5, etc. 

The way I understand is any Tulsa placer gets thrown into 1-4 and any Tulsa DNP is 5-8. 

Also, we went to Columbus North and it was great!

Good luck to everyone!

9 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

No coolers or food in the center grove fieldhouse is ridiculous. Have it somewhere else if that's their rules.

$20 for weigh-in the night before is also ridiculous. 

Someone above posted about food/drink spilled everywhere at Carmel.  The no food/drink in the field house is to protect the facility.  

$20 early weigh-ins are standard at most regional/national events.  You are not required to weigh-in then.  A wrestler can weigh-in for free the next day.  

2 minutes ago, julia2009 said:

Someone above posted about food/drink spilled everywhere at Carmel.  The no food/drink in the field house is to protect the facility.  

$20 early weigh-ins are standard at most regional/national events.  You are not required to weigh-in then.  A wrestler can weigh-in for free the next day.  

It helps out the tournament to have people weigh in early. No way middle school state could have handled all wrestlers weighing in the morning of last year.