Mason Parris

Big difference when Parris is healthy especially when his head/ hands def was compromised last year with that shoulder injury... Last year Kerk attacked that compromised shoulder side knowing Mason couldn't fend off leg attacks nearly as effective without being able to  down block and whizzer once Kerk did  get to the the legs.

Once That it was very apparent Mason was not the once wounded wolverine and had returned to full strength, Kerk was over whelmed in every facet.kerk Got out scrambled,rode like rented Mule, frustrated into taking straight on shots that weren't set up and flat out, Parris was out hustling him in every position every second. 

8 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

...Kerk was over whelmed in every facet.kerk Got out scrambled,rode like rented Mule, frustrated into taking straight on shots that weren't set up and flat out, Parris was out hustling him in every position every second. 

It was an impressive win for Parris no doubt, but I believe you are over stating it a bit.

Niether wrestler was able to get to their offense through 2.5 periods. And until the go behind by Parris it was 1-1 with each getting an escape. But Kerkvliet had the riding time edge. He got away from Parris from the down position much easier than Parris did from him. Parris rode him well after the go behind though.

I definitely enjoyed seeing Parris get the win & look forward to their future matchups. And I agree Parris being healthy made a big difference from last year, but I'm betting every future matchup will be a battle of attrition.

18 hours ago, SIACfan said:

It was an impressive win for Parris no doubt, but I believe you are over stating it a bit.

Niether wrestler was able to get to their offense through 2.5 periods. And until the go behind by Parris it was 1-1 with each getting an escape. But Kerkvliet had the riding time edge. He got away from Parris from the down position much easier than Parris did from him. Parris rode him well after the go behind though.

I definitely enjoyed seeing Parris get the win & look forward to their future matchups. And I agree Parris being healthy made a big difference from last year, but I'm betting every future matchup will be a battle of attrition.

Kerk couldn't get up when it mattered, got taken down and rode out, and couldn't get effortless Finishes like he did last year like he did every match they had, is my point. 

2 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Kerk couldn't get up when it mattered, got taken down and rode out, and couldn't get effortless Finishes like he did last year like he did every match they had, is my point. 

OK but that is slightly softer than...

Kerk was over whelmed in every facet.kerk Got out scrambled,rode like rented Mule, frustrated into taking straight on shots that weren't set up and flat out, Parris was out hustling him in every position every second. 

I was very happy to see Parris show that he is healthy & get that big win against Kerkvliet, but I don't believe it was quite as dominating as your first post made it out to be. That match was very much in doubt, IMO, before the go behind. As I said earlier, neither wrestler could get to their offense. Parris did take advantage of a poor shot by Kerkvliet & was able to ride him out for the last minute or so for the win.

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

OK but that is slightly softer than...

I was very happy to see Parris show that he is healthy & get that big win against Kerkvliet, but I don't believe it was quite as dominating as your first post made it out to be. That match was very much in doubt, IMO, before the go behind. As I said earlier, neither wrestler could get to their offense. Parris did take advantage of a poor shot by Kerkvliet & was able to ride him out for the last minute or so for the win.

I didn't mean to come off as sensationalizing it like he killed him, I was just saying in those facets I'm referring to, he won all those positions in order to beat a #1 guy.. I know tone and text don't translate well, it's just night and day from what a lot ppl outside of IN were making Mason's losses to kerk last season. Mason used his Wrestling IQ, healthy and stayed in better position is what it all boils down to is what I was trying to say lol

On 1/23/2023 at 11:02 AM, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I didn't mean to come off as sensationalizing it like he killed him, I was just saying in those facets I'm referring to, he won all those positions in order to beat a #1 guy.. I know tone and text don't translate well, it's just night and day from what a lot ppl outside of IN were making Mason's losses to kerk last season. Mason used his Wrestling IQ, healthy and stayed in better position is what it all boils down to is what I was trying to say lol

Should be a fun Big 10 and NCAAs,  Parris never lost to Cassioppi, Kerk can't beat Cassioppi, throw it Davidson and Schultz and it's a free for all.

20 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Don't blame him, that level of talent shouldn't be rushed, especially when he can contribute to Future recruiting classes and make it bigger impact on the team race. 

Very true, but the selfish fan in me wants to see him scrap with Davison, Parris, Kerk, and Cass😂

22 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

Very true, but the selfish fan in me wants to see him scrap with Davison, Parris, Kerk, and Cass😂

Davison definitely could ruin one of their quarter or semi-final hopes if he has the right plan and can stay healthy through that grind of a tournament.

3 hours ago, bigballerb said:

I think Pitzer is taking his RS this year unfortunately.

I can see him and Feldman of Ohio State have a series of battle for the top spot as the current crop of talented heavies graduate.  And hopefully sneak our own Christian Carroll in there too.

Edited by MattM

5 minutes ago, MattM said:

I can see him and Feldman of Ohio State have a series of battle for the top spot as the current crop of talented heavies graduate.  And hopefully sneak our own Christian Carroll in there too.

Agreed, Feldman is a freak, I am excited to see what he does in his 4 years in Columbus. I just went and checked the heavyweight rankings and didn't realize Schultz is a soph eligibility wise, didn't realize we have to keep watching his boring 1-0 matches for another two years.

1 minute ago, bigballerb said:

Agreed, Feldman is a freak, I am excited to see what he does in his 4 years in Columbus. I just went and checked the heavyweight rankings and didn't realize Schultz is a soph eligibility wise, didn't realize we have to keep watching his boring 1-0 matches for another two years.

He's pretty much settled into a Greco routine, which has been his international strong style.  But yes he will be around for awhile if anyone wants to test him in upper body positioning.

10 hours ago, bigballerb said:

Me too buddy! But on the bright side at least we will get 4 years of Pitz vs Nick Feldman, Carroll, Mullen all will be in the mix in next few years

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

I think Feldman, depending on what Kerk does with his remaining eligibility, could really be a 4xer. With all due respect to Pitzer, Feldman was on a complete different level from him the last times they wrestled in 2021. Steamrolled him with 15-4 and 11-4 victories.

Maybe I’ve got my scarlet and grey-colored glasses on, but that senior class of 2022 may go down in history for the Buckeyes. Feldman, Jesse, and Bouzakis all have potential to win 3 each. Then you throw in Geog at 197, who may have been an elite under-the-radar recruiter , and the Buckeyes should be competing for a team championship soon, or Tom Ryan needs to be relocated.

Edited by Caleb Spires

Kerkvliet stifles Parris' offense by controlling his left arm, grabbing his wrist.  Mason will need to solve that going forward. He did well in this last win by defending Kerk well and taking the match deep and winning late.  I'd rather Mason not have to battle to win a late takedown every time, but he has to be able to get to his offense to avoid that.  In the past 2 years, Kerk has not let him do that.  

18 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Kerkvliet stifles Parris' offense by controlling his left arm, grabbing his wrist.  Mason will need to solve that going forward. He did well in this last win by defending Kerk well and taking the match deep and winning late.  I'd rather Mason not have to battle to win a late takedown every time, but he has to be able to get to his offense to avoid that.  In the past 2 years, Kerk has not let him do that.  

Not that you are wrong SWIN, but Parris was a shell of himself last year so I don't put a lot of stock into what happened then. I too would like to see Parris dominate but Kerkvliet is a stud, so I see each of their matchups being extremely hard fought.

After seeing Kerkvliet handle Cassioppi easily this past Friday night, I believe it may well be a 2 horse race between Parris & Kerkvliet with the rest battling for 2nd.

4 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Not that you are wrong SWIN, but Parris was a shell of himself last year so I don't put a lot of stock into what happened then. I too would like to see Parris dominate but Kerkvliet is a stud, so I see each of their matchups being extremely hard fought.

After seeing Kerkvliet handle Cassioppi easily this past Friday night, I believe it may well be a 2 horse race between Parris & Kerkvliet with the rest battling for 2nd.

I get your point, but the technique used is what stifled Mason and it did so again this week.  Mason fought it off and pulled out a win, but really had no offense or ability to get off a shot, because of that wrist control.  The difference in year showed he could overcome it this year, but I wouldn't want to rely on that every time.  I'd rather make some kind of adjustment to neutralize what Kerk is trying to do.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:46 PM, SWINfan said:

I get your point, but the technique used is what stifled Mason and it did so again this week.  Mason fought it off and pulled out a win, but really had no offense or ability to get off a shot, because of that wrist control.  The difference in year showed he could overcome it this year, but I wouldn't want to rely on that every time.  I'd rather make some kind of adjustment to neutralize what Kerk is trying to do.

I agree with this 100%.

It is no coincidence that PSU has done what they have since Sanderson arrived. He is a master at adjustments and preparing & getting the most out of his wrestlers. Nick Lee vs Eierman is a prime example. 

But Parris's health is what I believe is the total difference from last year to this year. As you point out, Kerkvliet was employing the same technique last year & pretty much having his way with Parris. But this year when Kerkvliet got to his shots, Parris had the strength to fight them off.

The big question now is will Parris make adjustments to what kerkvliet is doing to thwart his offense, or will Kerkvliet (& Sanderson) make further adjustments to again turn the tide?

I am hoping that Parris will find the top of the podium, but I have to admit that I fear that Sanderson will find the answers that may very well get Kerkvliet to the top.