2024 Finals Location

awill0352

15 minutes ago, Galagore said:

Would everyone prefer they make a hasty decision just so we have an answer? Or take their time and back the best decision for the wrestling community?

Not sure your definition of hasty, but they have known this was coming since the All Star game shift was announced at the end of 2020.  

23 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

It's not the golden child and will never be. If the basketball tournament would have to relocate, they'd have made the announcement as soon as possible. Doesn't mean they don't think our tournament is cool, just means it's lower I'm the ranks of the main 4.

And what evidence do you have of this? 

22 hours ago, MattM said:

Not sure your definition of hasty, but they have known this was coming since the All Star game shift was announced at the end of 2020.  

So they have known for about a year since when the NBA announced it. Most bigger venues only schedule out a year in advance for a one-off event. This on top of needing to schedule around hockey or basketball events already held on a consistent basis means the earliest they can schedule is about the time of the current state finals.

Basketball finals would be easier, too, since it's a team and not individual tournament. They could send each class to a large high school gym. They don't need fans from 50-60 different schools in one location.

Edited by AC Computer

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

And what evidence do you have of this? 

Just look on social media. In 49 other states.... What more do you need? Just wait until they put a typographical error or mistake on the big screen like they have in football for wrestling. Pretty sad they didn't have the right name for a Head Coach of a state finalists team. Then they couldn't spell the school name of a state finalist school. I repeat this was for football, the 2nd loved sport. Met Friday, but no announcement. Heck thought we would get an announcement after the wrestling state finals and zilch. That tells me what I need to know already. 

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

5 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Just look on social media. In 49 other states.... What more do you need? Just wait until they put a typographical error or mistake on the big screen like they have in football for wrestling. Pretty sad they didn't have the right name for a Head Coach of a state finalists team. Then they couldn't spell the school name of a state finalist school. I repeat this was for football, the 2nd loved sport. Met Friday, but no announcement. Heck thought we would get an announcement after the wrestling state finals and zilch. That tells me what I need to know already. 

Because their production team misspells something is your reasoning? The production team isn't quite ESPN and yes I've been a part of productions for both ESPN and the IHSAA so I know the difference. 

Once again, getting a venue for a one year deal is not easy especially when the three venues in the talks all have hockey and/or basketball going on along with their usual assortment of Disney on Ice and other events. 

Because their production team misspells something is your reasoning? The production team isn't quite ESPN and yes I've been a part of productions for both ESPN and the IHSAA so I know the difference. 

Once again, getting a venue for a one year deal is not easy especially when the three venues in the talks all have hockey and/or basketball going on along with their usual assortment of Disney on Ice and other events. 

You miss the in 49 states? That should have been the only reason. The errors just show the effort for simple tasks let alone larger tasks. We all know these venues have hockey & basketball. Yes they have Disney on ice & etc as well. I'm not sure I'd trust them to determine between the community building or boy scout barn for youth practice. You know those buildings have wedding receptions, community government meetings, 4H meetings, and scout meetings to name just a few.

10 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

You miss the in 49 states? That should have been the only reason. The errors just show the effort for simple tasks let alone larger tasks. We all know these venues have hockey & basketball. Yes they have Disney on ice & etc as well. I'm not sure I'd trust them to determine between the community building or boy scout barn for youth practice. You know those buildings have wedding receptions, community government meetings, 4H meetings, and scout meetings to name just a few.

Guess what, ESPN misspells names and gets scores wrong and surprisingly humans make mistakes.

The marketing for the IHSAA for the boys basketball state series is typical of the state. Not sure how long you've been around, but basketball is pretty important here unfortunately. There are even movies made about the sport. I would love to be Chicken Little here, but it's hard to ignore the history of basketball in the state.

19 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Have you really seen media/social media coverage of wrestling in the other 49 states?  Do you really think its better then Indiana?  Sorry,  grass isnt greener 

Guess what, ESPN misspells names and gets scores wrong and surprisingly humans make mistakes.

The marketing for the IHSAA for the boys basketball state series is typical of the state. Not sure how long you've been around, but basketball is pretty important here unfortunately. There are even movies made about the sport. I would love to be Chicken Little here, but it's hard to ignore the history of basketball in the state.

TBH Chicken Little is an underrated movie.

I was hoping to come back and find that there had been an announcement, but could only learn that Evansville has .1 lower average Trip Advisor Restaurant Scores (did you check bowling alleys too?).  What an important stat from a truly reputable source!!

Oh yeah, and so many people not involved in the process seem to know everything about it.  I don't have time to check social media activity for wrestling in the other 49 states (again, sooo relevant!) but I did learn that Wrestling is Not in the IHSAA's Top 4 sports.  

The data used for some of these points is comical.  It makes for a lot of "experts"

Edited by SWINfan

21 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I was hoping to come back and find that there had been an announcement, but could only learn that Evansville has .1 lower average Trip Advisor Restaurant Scores (did you check bowling alleys too?).  What an important stat from a truly reputable source!!

Oh yeah, and so many people not involved in the process seem to know everything about it.  I don't have time to check social media activity for wrestling in the other 49 states (again, sooo relevant!) but I did learn that Wrestling is Not in the IHSAA's Top 4 sports.  

The data used for some of these points is comical.  It makes for a lot of "experts"

SWINfan,   I heard back from the Mackey Arena state tournament promotional group about thee meeting last Friday with the IHSAA state selection committee.  They said they liked some things about the Evansville area, and even though the superior restaurants in the greater Lafayette area as they admitted, that didnt make that much of a difference.   

They did mention one thing that concerned them a lot was getting professional table help like scorers and timekeepers in Evansville to work at the Ford Center.  Im not sure why that came up, but maybe some previous experiences about table workers from a prominent school came up.

One other advantage they mentioned was they liked was the creativity and original ideas going into the WL group proposal.  They were very impressed the novel and original idea of having the all weekend "Winners Bay" party, and also felt the guys in the Northern part of state had a better sense of humor🤣.

2 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

SWINfan,   I heard back from the Mackey Arena state tournament promotional group about thee meeting last Friday with the IHSAA state selection committee.  They said they liked some things about the Evansville area, and even though the superior restaurants in the greater Lafayette area as they admitted, that didnt make that much of a difference.   

They did mention one thing that concerned them a lot was getting professional table help like scorers and timekeepers in Evansville to work at the Ford Center.  Im not sure why that came up, but maybe some previous experiences about table workers from a prominent school came up.

One other advantage they mentioned was they liked was the creativity and original ideas going into the WL group proposal.  They were very impressed the novel and original idea of having the all weekend "Winners Bay" party, and also felt the guys in the Northern part of state had a better sense of humor🤣.

You should try stand up!

6 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Your lucky if they acknowledge wrestling as a sport compared to the other 3. No one said anything for wrestling in 49 states. It was said about basketball. I know it's hard to comprehend that. We all know any other team sport or individual sport would have had an announcement long before now. Not surprising for an organization that believes the random draw is the best method. About as bad as their cluster system beforehand. Don't even get the round ball fans started on classing sports. Every logical process presented by the coaches gets shot down. Heck we should be glad they're considering having a state final at all or getting an announcement before or during the state series at this point. Only hope is that by taking so long they don't botch it in some shape or form.

12 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

To keep this thread alive, what are good restaurants we need to hit up while in the Crescent City? This will be my first time on the banks of the Ohio river and need to keep my figure.

Eat fresh at Subway. 😆 

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Please send tacos to @Wrestling Scholar as he cannot be too sad if he's eating tacos.

Tacos are a solid consolation prize. I can live with that.    All I can say, my sources were wrong.  Im going to have to follow up. 

But on the silver lining flip side, I feel good Purdue was in the discussion, and I didnt hear anything about IU being considered.

Congratulations to Evansville, I hope they add some electric vehicle chargers to make the trip possible. 

I better get some good seats early,  Somebody needs to go down and keep an eye on the Evansville table help.

Are the limited hotel rooms filled up already?  I might have to bring my tent.

Oh yea, Im asking for a friend who wants to know: Whats the best Taco place in Evansville?  He says it needs a good trip advisor score!

Edited by Wrestling Scholar