2024 Finals Location

awill0352

17 hours ago, awill0352 said:

2 hours for you is 5 hours for someone else though right?  Why not have it in the best possible available facility in the state at the time?  Reward the wrestlers. 

Actually 2 hrs to New Castle for me would not be 5 hours for anyone in the state.  I think even Evansville could get there faster than 5 hours.

4 minutes ago, julio said:

Actually 2 hrs to New Castle for me would not be 5 hours for anyone in the state.  I think even Evansville could get there faster than 5 hours.

How about this, New Castle isn't even in the mix. So unless something drastic happens and you become the IHSAA commish it isn't happening.

On 2/23/2023 at 6:34 PM, awill0352 said:

Is it true that Purdue threw their name in the mix last week which is why IHSAA is waiting to announce? 

Purdue is making a big effort to put a bid to  make this work. I talked to some members of the Purdue Contingency of my neighbor,  West Lafayette Mayor Dennis, Purdue AD  Mike Bobinski,  wrestling coach Tony Ersland wrestling coach and former Purdue president Mitch Daniels whose a big wrestling fan.

Mayor Dennis thinks this a great economic Development opportunity and feels that between Lafayette and West Lafayette, that the hotel situation and restaurant and hotel situation are ideal, and said if the community can host huge football games, that we easily have the infrastructure to handle this big event. 

Mike Bobinski has been in contact with the BIG 10 office on coordinating the schedule.  They feel they could move Saturday's BB gane to Sunday and would not compromise the schedule.    Mike even said that the IHSAA felt Mackey would be the next best venue in the state after Gainbridge.  They felt it had a much better setup then IU Assembly Hall and IHSAA was getting assistance from  Tony Ersland to ambassador the tournament.  Word was this be a great they like  partnership with IHSAA and the premier collegewrestling team in the in Indiana.             

Faulkner also weighed in, he's really concerned about travel cost and burden of having the event in Evansville.  He said the geographic location of West Lafayette would be ideal.  

Mitch Daniel's wants to make this happen and is fostering his connections with  the IHSAA and BIG to facilitate an agreement.

Also, I gotta friend who works at the West Lafayette Hiilton Garden Inn whose a big wrestling fan.  He said the IHSAA bought a 15 room block for that weekend.     

Also, word on street is this that if this goes down, that Purdue would let XXX restraunt run a concession stand at Mackey during the event.  I don't if know if the Fort or Evansville could top that.  

I even gave a call to Matt Painter.  He was a big wrestling fan back in his Delta days, and would be glad to work around the schedule to make this work.   The ball is rolling.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

5 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

My butt is already sore thinking about sitting on wood bleachers for two straight days!

https://www.purdueforlife.org/app/uploads/New-Seats-2-scaled.jpg.  I could pull some strings and get you a media pass in the premier seating.

13 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

https://www.purdueforlife.org/app/uploads/New-Seats-2-scaled.jpg.  I could pull some strings and get you a media pass in the premier seating.

Won't they lose a little bit of seating to get the 4 mats in Mackey? Last time they had to do a platform type setup and couldn't seat anyone in the first couple rows.

12 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Won't they lose a little bit of seating to get the 4 mats in Mackey? Last time they had to do a platform type setup and couldn't seat anyone in the first couple rows.

Good point.  Might lose those Super cushy seats that cost $900 for a Purdue game.  We could go to a 3 mat scheme.  Do we really need 4 mats for a 16 man bracket with no wrestlebacks over a two day period.  It would improve the audience to mat  time ratio for our premier wrestlers.  This would be an improvement.  The fan could focus on on 3 mats instead if 4.

Just now, Wrestling Scholar said:

Good point.  Might lose those Super cushy seats that cost $900 for a Purdue game.  We could go to a 3 mat scheme.  Do we really need 4 mats for a 16 man bracket with no wrestlebacks over a two day period.  It would improve the audience to mat  time ratio for our premier wrestlers.  This would be an improvement.  The fan could focus on on 3 mats instead if 4.

I think you'd still need the platform for adequate floor space with 3 mats. 

Here is a pic I took with a circa 2010 cell phone in 2012 at Big 10s.

2012-03-03 09.45.46.jpg

3 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Fort Wayne Nightlife?????

No doubt, visitors are attracted to the nightlife of this city like bees towards honey. Fort Wayne will treat you remarkably both in the day and night. Although there are numerous places to explore throughout the day, the night is no wonder the heartthrob of the city. 

There are multiple restaurants, bars, nightclubs that are not only affordable but also highly luxurious, with all the best amenities gifting you a memorable night. 

13 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I think you'd still need the platform for adequate floor space with 3 mats. 

Here is a pic I took with a circa 2010 cell phone in 2012 at Big 10s.

2012-03-03 09.45.46.jpg

Good point again.  Probably would lose all or most of stadium seating.   But on the flip side, that looks cool.  Those lower sears are right on the mat.   That would be a great place to see action.  Anyway, wood seats suck, but they would be glad to rent out portable seat cushions.

4 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Good point again.  Probably would lose all or most of stadium seating.   But on the flip side, that looks cool.  Those lower sears are right on the mat.   That would be a great place to see action.  Anyway, wood seats suck, but they would be glad to rent out portable seat cushions.

It was cool for Big 10s and a great environment with the action that close. I guess we can have prop bets on which parent storms the mat after a bad call!

2 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Purdue is making a big effort to put a bid to  make this work. I talked to some members of the Purdue Contingency of my neighbor,  West Lafayette Mayor Dennis, Purdue AD  Mike Bobinski,  wrestling coach Tony Ersland wrestling coach and former Purdue president Mitch Daniels whose a big wrestling fan.

Mayor Dennis thinks this a great economic Development opportunity and feels that between Lafayette and West Lafayette, that the hotel situation and restaurant and hotel situation are ideal, and said if the community can host huge football games, that we easily have the infrastructure to handle this big event. 

Mike Bobinski has been in contact with the BIG 10 office on coordinating the schedule.  They feel they could move Saturday's BB gane to Sunday and would not compromise the schedule.    Mike even said that the IHSAA felt Mackey would be the next best venue in the state after Gainbridge.  They felt it had a much better setup then IU Assembly Hall and IHSAA was getting assistance from  Tony Ersland to ambassador the tournament.  Word was this be a great they like  partnership with IHSAA and the premier collegewrestling team in the in Indiana.             

Faulkner also weighed in, he's really concerned about travel cost and burden of having the event in Evansville.  He said the geographic location of West Lafayette would be ideal.  

Mitch Daniel's wants to make this happen and is fostering his connections with  the IHSAA and BIG to facilitate an agreement.

Also, I gotta friend who works at the West Lafayette Hiilton Garden Inn whose a big wrestling fan.  He said the IHSAA bought a 15 room block for that weekend.     

Also, word on street is this that if this goes down, that Purdue would let XXX restraunt run a concession stand at Mackey during the event.  I don't if know if the Fort or Evansville could top that.  

I even gave a call to Matt Painter.  He was a big wrestling fan back in his Delta days, and would be glad to work around the schedule to make this work.   The ball is rolling.

Can My Man Mitch fix the daylight savings time bs he initiated?