2024 Finals Location

awill0352

46 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

Weird how the article written by a staffer of the Indy Star confuses team and individual state locales and completely leaves out the Conseco history.

3 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Home Mat Advantage for the newly resurgent Panther's.   Could crown Two Champs that day:if the wrestling God's should be so kind.

That would be cool! Also with Layne Horn and some others I think Fort Wayne got a shot for multiple the next few years.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

You could even move the season forward or back a week, but that gets shot down immediately every time and I’m not sure why. 

Other IHSAA state tournaments are around the same time. They do not like to have multiple state championships on the same weekend. Reading between the lines, the IHSAA brass all want to go to wrestling and wouldn't want to go to a different event that weekend.

15 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Isn't there anything in the suburbs of Indy like Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield that could hold it? 

No there isn't and no one, including the schools want to pay the 3x hotel rates that are already out there for that weekend in Indy. No way anyone would want to be in Indy that weekend for anything other than basketball.

1 minute ago, Gasman said:

Any idea when a final answer may be announced?

Usually reserving facilities such as the Coliseum or Ford Center is about a year in advance. I believe the announcement will come sometime within the state series timeframe.

14 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

No there isn't and no one, including the schools want to pay the 3x hotel rates that are already out there for that weekend in Indy. No way anyone would want to be in Indy that weekend for anything other than basketball.

Rather have it in LOS every year over whatever the heck they decide to re-name every other day where the Pacers play.

2 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Rather have it in LOS every year over whatever the heck they decide to re-name every other day where the Pacers play.

I don't know if you ever read anything or just spout off to spout off.

Hotel rooms are being booked solid for 2024 in downtown Indy at rates that are 3-5X what they normally are. The NBA books WHOLE hotels for all their people. Not sure if you have ever taken a gander at a map, but Lucas Oil Stadium is in downtown Indy. On top of the NBA All-Star game having some fan festivities at Lucas Oil Stadium no school or fan will want to attend state within the Indianapolis area that weekend due to the high price increases. This also includes hotels on the outskirts of Indianapolis. I would love to not have to pay more than my mortgage for one night at state.

I understand you want to make this some crazy conspiracy theory about the IHSAA, but this is out of their control as the city of Indianapolis, Pacers, and others are behind the All-Star game coming to Indy. 

With the wrestling state finals being smack dab in the middle of championship season it is also extremely difficult for the IHSAA to move the date.

As much as I want to live in fantasy land with the ability to move the dates or use one of the more centralized locations the reality is the best options are either Fort Wayne or Evansville.

6 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I don't know if you ever read anything or just spout off to spout off.

Hotel rooms are being booked solid for 2024 in downtown Indy at rates that are 3-5X what they normally are. The NBA books WHOLE hotels for all their people. Not sure if you have ever taken a gander at a map, but Lucas Oil Stadium is in downtown Indy. On top of the NBA All-Star game having some fan festivities at Lucas Oil Stadium no school or fan will want to attend state within the Indianapolis area that weekend due to the high price increases. This also includes hotels on the outskirts of Indianapolis. I would love to not have to pay more than my mortgage for one night at state.

I understand you want to make this some crazy conspiracy theory about the IHSAA, but this is out of their control as the city of Indianapolis, Pacers, and others are behind the All-Star game coming to Indy. 

With the wrestling state finals being smack dab in the middle of championship season it is also extremely difficult for the IHSAA to move the date.

As much as I want to live in fantasy land with the ability to move the dates or use one of the more centralized locations the reality is the best options are either Fort Wayne or Evansville.

Not saying one year, but every year! The whatever I want to be named today venue doesn't want wrestling there. Plain and simple. Every year we have seating argument debates and lotteries for suites. Glad to know I get under your skin/annoy you to no end every year though! The hotel prices are always high for football state, wrestling, and basketball. Yes the NBA makes it 3-5x worse. However, being centrally located, means the fan doesn't have to stay overnight necessarily unlike Evansville & Ft Wayne for others. The only IHSAA "conspiracy" is they knew this well in advance and decided to be reactive instead of proactive. Once again, it's not the basketball tournament (they've also screwed up that again) so it doesn't matter to them like it should.

LOS would allow for more mats and push wrestle backs instead of Friday night eliminating some fans & wrestlers attending on Saturday. That's one thing MHSAA seems to have done nicely. I'm sure many here will complain it's too far from the action. I'd prefer to have a birdseye view instead that isn't in a suite. I'm sure there is more scheduling bs like the basketball arena as well that would have to be looked at as well.

22 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Not saying one year, but every year! The whatever I want to be named today venue doesn't want wrestling there. Plain and simple. Every year we have seating argument debates and lotteries for suites. Glad to know I get under your skin/annoy you to no end every year though! The hotel prices are always high for football state, wrestling, and basketball. Yes the NBA makes it 3-5x worse. However, being centrally located, means the fan doesn't have to stay overnight necessarily unlike Evansville & Ft Wayne for others. The only IHSAA "conspiracy" is they knew this well in advance and decided to be reactive instead of proactive. Once again, it's not the basketball tournament (they've also screwed up that again) so it doesn't matter to them like it should.

LOS would allow for more mats and push wrestle backs instead of Friday night eliminating some fans & wrestlers attending on Saturday. That's one thing MHSAA seems to have done nicely. I'm sure many here will complain it's too far from the action. I'd prefer to have a birdseye view instead that isn't in a suite. I'm sure there is more scheduling bs like the basketball arena as well that would have to be looked at as well.

Keep ranting boomer, it's amusing.

Gainbridge seats 20,000 and gets fairly full for state. Fort wayne seats 13,000, Ford Center seats 11,000, Hinkle seats 9,100, and the State Fair grounds coliseum seats 6,500. Largest High School gym capacity is New Castle at 8,400. I’d say it has to be at minimum Hinkle or bigger so everyone that wants to come can, and be comfortable. 

Lucas Oil?! Man, if they were hosting there, we could probably put 20+ mats down. Now, how could we change the format of individual state to necessitate putting down 20+ mats...hmm...

Kidding...at least in the sense of me trying to hijack the thread. Not kidding about classing the individual tournament. Never kidding about that...

32 minutes ago, Galagore said:

Lucas Oil?! Man, if they were hosting there, we could probably put 20+ mats down. Now, how could we change the format of individual state to necessitate putting down 20+ mats...hmm...

Kidding...at least in the sense of me trying to hijack the thread. Not kidding about classing the individual tournament. Never kidding about that...

Somewhat of a blueprint by the MHSAA for venue & setup. Holds 70,000 so plenty of space for good seats. 😁

Would have been cool if they would have planned ahead when they Pacers were announced as 2024 All-Star game host, which was about 3+ years ago. With that much time notice, they could have worked with the Pacers Sports organization and possibly pushed the state series back a week. 

Think attendance will be down a bit or close to sellout due to change of scenery? 

10 hours ago, sslaymon said:

Would have been cool if they would have planned ahead when they Pacers were announced as 2024 All-Star game host, which was about 3+ years ago. With that much time notice, they could have worked with the Pacers Sports organization and possibly pushed the state series back a week. 

Think attendance will be down a bit or close to sellout due to change of scenery? 

Actually they were originally supposed to host the 2021 All-Star game which would have been semi-state weekend. That got canceled and it was only fairly recently that they announced they were coming back in 2024 and the exact date it would take place.

20 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Keep ranting boomer, it's amusing.

Joe you are the freaking man. Thank you for giving this board some sort of normalcy and providing realistic solutions instead of throwing out ridiculous solutions. Those throwing out “outside of the box solutions”

sound like trump suggesting injecting Clorox. Get real people. Realize that just a couple of years ago we got to wrestle our state finals and basketball got theirs canceled. Be grateful. Also be grateful for the nba all star game because it will

provide insane amounts of outside revenue for Indiana as a whole. 

3 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Joe you are the freaking man. Thank you for giving this board some sort of normalcy and providing realistic solutions instead of throwing out ridiculous solutions. Those throwing out “outside of the box solutions”

sound like trump suggesting injecting Clorox. Get real people. Realize that just a couple of years ago we got to wrestle our state finals and basketball got theirs canceled. Be grateful. Also be grateful for the nba all star game because it will

Thanks....

Common sense says nothing in Indy is going to be financially feasible to host during that weekend. Even Lucas Oil Stadium will be utilized during the festivities. 

Per Robert Faulkens the college facilities have conference games to juggle and cannot move those events for something else. The Big 10 and MAC set their schedules fairly late in order to find out if they could host the event. 

Fort Wayne and Evansville, while not exactly the best location for some within the state are the next feasible options in terms of availability and capacity.

Moving the date will cause a domino effect with the other state championship and wrestling state series events. If we shift the date places like the Fort Wayne Coliseum and Evansville Ford Center might not be available. Indianapolis is also hosting one of the rounds of the NCAA tournament, thus forcing the IHSAA to make changes to their tournament also.

I'm sorry to bring damper and a little common sense here, but in reality the IHSAA is going to work hard to make our state finals a great event. One thing the IHSAA does well is hold our state championships in great venues and creates great state finals experiences.

2 hours ago, Gasman said:

I love it when we actually have sensible discussions.  Thank you VERY much!!

Man, this comes to mind 😃:

77tcif.jpg

Seriously though, given the position this is at now, I agree, the logical conclusion is to have it at Ft Wayne or Evansville. No way it's feasible to move it or keep it in the Indy area as stated. Ship has sailed.

Realize the NBA schedule change was out of the IHSAA's control and lots of $$$ involved. However, I still think this could have been planned better and definitely communicated better.   Maybe the reporter in the earlier article left things out or Neiding from the IHSAA was misquoted. Either way not a good optic IMO. I still say it's par for the course, 1st round not scored, "ticketgate", having to wait until late Friday night to get Saturday tickets, then system doesn't work... I will stop know, there are others, but all seem to demonstrate lack of planning, communication & execution. Just my .02c

Lastly, hoping it's smooth sailing from here and folks can purchase the stream without a Flo subscription!

The Flo subscription is definitely a sore spot with me, I was not happy with the team state feed.

One question though, did we have to bring it to IHSAA's attention or were they already working on an alternative location? Last I read on the other thred it seemed we didn't know where they were on the subject but I stopped reading that thread a long time ago.