Team State draw

hogleg

3 hours ago, maligned said:

Isn't the challenge that you need hosts and backup hosts (for the "consolation" super duals) set up in case a given host site's team gets into Team State? And then how do you contract officials and plan an invitational site if it's a "maybe" site until mid-December? I think these have been the nature of the hangups when we all start to talk through these ideas every year. 

Exactly.

A couple thoughts.  This backup plan event will be a go no matter what.  If it’s centrally located, I don’t see any issue with securing officials and their having the flexibility to go to Columbus East, Mount Vernon, Greenfield, or Roncalli, etc.  Planning the event at Hobart and switching it to Floyd Central, that might be extreme and cause issues.  The backup plan event would need to be flexible as well, maybe it’s 6 teams, maybe 10.  Let’s say Columbus East isn’t chosen for team state next year and we host, we will make this event happen and adjust the structure according to the teams (round robin, pools, whatever).  I think flexibility is key, not looking for a strict 8 teams, etc.

Coach Cook mentioned he has a fall back plan for the Brickies, so teams can go that route also.  This secondary meet just provides minimal schedule disruption for meets across the state and allows a decision to be made in December with a lot more data and proven success.

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Nice gif, but I don't quite follow?  I was mocking myself and agreeing with him that we never get all the teams 100% right and that I wish we could do an all in event. I was trying to explain the biggest couple hangups because I think there are solutions out there that could get us those next steps forward. Sorry if it was a confusing message. I was trying to agree. Maybe you just like popcorn?

Or maybe; as the meme insinuates : I'm just watching and enjoying the commentary.  Or maybe I like MJ. Or maybe I accidently quoted you. Or maybe all of the above.  Or maybe you feel a certain kind of way about memes that are self explanatory so I'd write a dissertation on memes that are self defining? Maybe you don't like the '80's. hmmm..Or maybe you hear that suttle hint of a roar being restored on Fairlawn Lane on the Northeast Side of Fort Wayne and you wanted to poke a panther. I don't know. Ignore me I don't know much about wrestling.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz
Clarification

10 hours ago, bigballerb said:

You say you voted for them but also say it's hard to justify voting for them, so my question is why did you vote for them then? Honestly, the vote is appreciated though.

I voted for Oak Hill because I knew they were better than Owen Valley, but you guys shot yourselves in foot by not taking the simple step of posting your results.

Norwell had two starters out, I believe...one for sure,  but that being said, it doesn't mean results change, and yeah, Oak HIll deserved in.  Oak Hill is always solid and will continue to be solid with the continuity in the program.  You'll be back! ... 2a was tough this year top to bottom, which I'm sure didn't make things easy on the rankers/seeders/vote in.

IMO it's really hard to seed 2a because of stereotypes, such as "They don't wrestle anybody."  Teams can only control their schedule to a certain extent, with conference by laws.  How do you compare a 20-0 team who has wrestled teams to be perceived as below average, compared to maybe a 15-4 team, who has wrestled a really tough schedule?  It's hard to do.  

We've been under seeded, and over seeded.  It happens.  It's a tough job, but I think you all do a great job and I'm happy we have this awesome tournament!  

Edited by nkraus
Typo

9 hours ago, nkraus said:

Norwell had two starters out, I believe...one for sure,  but that being said, it doesn't mean results change, and yeah, Oak HIll deserved in.  Oak Hill is always solid and will continue to be solid with the continuity in the program.  You'll be back! ... 2a was tough this year top to bottom, which I'm sure didn't make things easy on the rankers/seeders/vote in.

IMO it's really hard to seed 2a because of stereotypes, such as "They don't wrestling anybody."  Teams can only control their schedule to a certain extent, with conference by laws.  How do you compare a 20-0 team who has wrestled teams to be perceived as below average, compared to maybe a 15-4 team, who has wrestled a really tough schedule?  It's hard to do.  

We've been under seeded, and over seeded.  It happens.  It's a tough job, but I think you all do a great job and I'm happy we have this awesome tournament!  

Norwell is tough, that Douglas kid at 106 is going to be really good. 

11 hours ago, decbell1 said:

I voted for Oak Hill because I knew they were better than Owen Valley, but you guys shot yourselves in foot by not taking the simple step of posting your results.

I am not in the room this year and only go to the bigger matches since I moved this summer, my dad and I posted results for them for the past 10 years. Coach King doesn't use the internet and no one else from that way uses Indianamat,  so I guess they're SOL in that regard.

Edited by bigballerb

56 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

I am not in the room this year and only go to the bigger matches, my dad and I posted results for them for the past 10 years. Coach King doesn't use the internet and no one else from that way uses Indianamat,  so I guess they're SOL in that regard.

More reasons for the IHSAA to get off their a** and do something productive in recognizing this tournament. It would grow the sport, but this being Indiana, that's not what the IHSAA wants. They want to grow basketball instead, but they're killing that too. Football is growing just because the popularity is growing in the country and throughout the world, not due to the IHSAA. Not just the IHSAA, but the OHSAA next door and others are screwing this up as well. Both fall under the NFHS and going through their "training" material, I can see why. Just think in terms of the federal government and state governments and how they've been failing too!

On 1/12/2023 at 12:27 AM, Lawdiggity said:

With all due respect, you may be misinterpreting the original post. Don’t want to speak for that poster but I imagine they meant to say “crowned just” instead of “just crowned”. In other words, they were saying instead of only crowning a champion there should be wrestle backs to determine other placements (places other than 1st) to smooth out possible seedings that are off. I don’t think the poster meant someone just gets crowned without a heck of a lot of work. That’s how I interpreted the wrestle back comment. I could be wrong though - just ask my wife, I often am. And for the record I’m not saying I agree there should be wrestlebacks. Just saying I don’t think anyone in their right mind would argue any of the champion teams were just given a crown. 

Glad someone got the reference

On 1/13/2023 at 8:25 AM, bigballerb said:

I am not in the room this year and only go to the bigger matches since I moved this summer, my dad and I posted results for them for the past 10 years. Coach King doesn't use the internet and no one else from that way uses Indianamat,  so I guess they're SOL in that regard.

They have been posting their results just not on Indianamat.  They have been on Maxpreps.  They are a very solid team that got left out this year for sure.  I don't have an answer for a better way to do it and I believe the people that do it try and do the right thing and reward the teams they believe deserve it.  Just hard to find a better solution I think.

6 minutes ago, Raven27 said:

They have been posting their results just not on Indianamat.  They have been on Maxpreps.  They are a very solid team that got left out this year for sure.  I don't have an answer for a better way to do it and I believe the people that do it try and do the right thing and reward the teams they believe deserve it.  Just hard to find a better solution I think.

That’s a thing? Just looked it up, and it seems way more inconvenient to do that than just use track and indianamat. Weird. 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

That’s a thing? Just looked it up, and it seems way more inconvenient to do that than just use track and indianamat. Weird. 

The statistician  stills uses maxpreps there I guess, I couldn't tell you why though. I finally made my way into the room yesterday and told the other coaches about how Indianamat kind of works and that there results should be posted on there for next year.