Purdue Wrestling

Before the season there was all this hate about the IU program and how they weren’t getting better under this staff. Where is that same logic for Purdue and their staff? They lost to Rider and Drexel this season and Ersland has been there for 8 plus seasons with multiple top 25 recruiting classes.  

I'm about ready to call for his head too. For a while we had competitive dual teams and multiple ranked individuals. He got a pass for a while, hoping to break through. But last year was the first truly disappointing year. Two blood round guys that upset their way there, top seeds going 0-2, it was awful. Now this year, we have two of our better guys hurt but the roster is a trainwreck. They went to the Southern Scuffle this weekend and put two in the finals, but that were their only placements. There's a great recruiting class coming in, but Ersland is showing he can't develop anyone past a blood round finisher, and word from a former wrestler is his coaching and training style is very 1990s and not up with the current times. I have been saying it since March, that Ersland gets one last chance at getting someone on the podium or I want him out. 

11 hours ago, Disco said:

Purdue is a tough job, not unlike the other instate institution. 

Please elaborate. Purdue has way more resources than IU does. They make more money with their football program and have less sports. Plus tuition for Purdue is way cheaper than IU so scholarship wise they can recruit a lot more kids. 

I will elaborate, while not completely following your point , but as far as athletic scholarships are concerned ,all get the maximum 9 1/2 per team. They don’t have to use that many but can. As far as resources I’m not following this. Tuition may be  less at Purdue, but in can completely understand, you get less educated. But it doesn’t coincide with more or less scholarships. 

I was there today vs Iowa, the place was absolutely packed to the rafters. The roof nearly came off when Ramos took Lee down, to his back, and I thought had him pinned for a split second, only to eventually get pinned himself. Filius looked good in his win, and Coleman got the only other W for PU. Default at HWT, they have nobody available to run out there?

6 minutes ago, Ahap88 said:

I was there today vs Iowa, the place was absolutely packed to the rafters. The roof nearly came off when Ramos took Lee down, to his back, and I thought had him pinned for a split second, only to eventually get pinned himself. Filius looked good in his win, and Coleman got the only other W for PU. Default at HWT, they have nobody available to run out there?

Great rundown. Thanks. Hope the crowd continues at the home matches. Lee acknowledged Ramos at the handshake. He was a whisker  away from a pin. 

18 hours ago, Ahap88 said:

They only have two heavies and both are hurt right now. Coppas has been hurt and I think Ruhlman got hurt at the Scuffle. It would be cool if Mo Omonode would ever want to come to the room and try out wrestling again. 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

They only have two heavies and both are hurt right now. Coppas has been hurt and I think Ruhlman got hurt at the Scuffle. It would be cool if Mo Omonode would ever want to come to the room and try out wrestling again. 

The trials a tribulations of  big ten wrestling

• 2 weeks later...

He is definitely proving himself right now.  The big ten is a meat grinder. It’s tough in every conference, but the BIG is special. As a freshman ,it’s about not getting too worn down, to be able to finish high at the end of the season.  Hope he continues.  

19 hours ago, Disco said:

He is definitely proving himself right now.  The big ten is a meat grinder. It’s tough in every conference, but the BIG is special. As a freshman ,it’s about not getting too worn down, to be able to finish high at the end of the season.  Hope he continues.  

Got himself a dual win against Wisconsin last night. Believe it may have been his final weigh in with still being able to redshirt 

I was mighty concerned at the beginning of the season when so many of our "big" recruits struggled in or lost their wrestle offs. However, I have been seeing glimmers of improvement and tough wrestling from some of the unranked kids lately. Unranked guys popping high ranked wreslters in the mouth and taking them down early, which ya love to see and only builds confidence. Coleman isn't fading as badly as he usually does late in the season, and Ramos looks like a top 3 guy right now. If Penola wasnt hurt, they would have 3 top ten guys and things would have a much different feel. All that to say, I am still frustrated and concerned, but I feel an AA coming this year (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease), which will no doubt squash any "Fire Ersland" mobs. 

17 hours ago, HornetSloan said:

I was mighty concerned at the beginning of the season when so many of our "big" recruits struggled in or lost their wrestle offs. However, I have been seeing glimmers of improvement and tough wrestling from some of the unranked kids lately. Unranked guys popping high ranked wreslters in the mouth and taking them down early, which ya love to see and only builds confidence. Coleman isn't fading as badly as he usually does late in the season, and Ramos looks like a top 3 guy right now. If Penola wasnt hurt, they would have 3 top ten guys and things would have a much different feel. All that to say, I am still frustrated and concerned, but I feel an AA coming this year (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease), which will no doubt squash any "Fire Ersland" mobs. 

Lol at "Fire Ersland" mobs. It's Purdue wrestling, so it's like 3.5 people in that mob, of which I am the .5. But if he gets Ramos/and or Coleman on the podium then he buys another 5-10 years from me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 12:39 PM, Disco said:

I will elaborate, while not completely following your point , but as far as athletic scholarships are concerned ,all get the maximum 9 1/2 per team. They don’t have to use that many but can. As far as resources I’m not following this. Tuition may be  less at Purdue, but in can completely understand, you get less educated. But it doesn’t coincide with more or less scholarships. 

9.9* Scholarships

Also from the Purdue Wrestling Twitter "The Boilermakers have wrestled the most freshman in dual action of anyone in the conference. Youngest team in the B1G."

Edited by Alex White

On 1/1/2023 at 8:49 PM, Indianasuperfan said:

Before the season there was all this hate about the IU program and how they weren’t getting better under this staff. Where is that same logic for Purdue and their staff? They lost to Rider and Drexel this season and Ersland has been there for 8 plus seasons with multiple top 25 recruiting classes.  

After going back through this thread I fount the 1st , initial post. And…….,
I don’t know where there was any “hate” about the IU program. 
There was facts of records and observations about the program that still stand, as far as I’m concerned. But not hate. The same for the PU program. We all want to keep the instate programs in an upward trajectory. This is what this web site is for. Observing and sharing opinions. But it isn’t the same as hate.