NR James Veal (MR) over #11 Henry Kukelhan (BM) - dec 6-5

NR Jonathan Tanner (WF) over #11 Henry Kukelhan (BM) - dec 5-1

#20 Trent Kersey (LW) over #19 Jack O'Connor (GR) - fall 2:28

220:

#6 Nate Johnson (CG) over #5 Jackson Weingart (IC) - fall 2:00

285:

#8 Tyler Schott (CG) over #3 Hosia Smith (IC) - dec 7-5

Personal notes from the day:

-biggest upset of the day for me is Schott over Smith. Really felt like Smith was a title contender this year and Schott went and confused the conversation a little bit. Especially interesting that Schott survived a triple overtime upset against UR heavyweight Eli Smith of Zionsville. Eli Smith would go on to lose in the bloodround to Hosia Smith, only 3-1. So,  does the heavyweight race for the state title has less competition now? Or more? Leave it up to heavyweight to keep things entertaining and unpredictable.

-Gavin Malone, Josh Johnson, Conner Watts, and Henry Kulkelhan don't survive until the second day. These wrestlers will surely be back stronger than before, but it demonstrates the brutal nature of this tournament.

-Two of three Crown Point backups make the second day. Griffin Van Tichelt earns a big win over Josh Johnson to do so, and a commanding win at that. Washington picks up no ranked wins but keeps it competitive against 4th seed Wesley Smith of Plymouth.

-Also realize that I completely missed Westfield when doing my writeup, so I apologize to any Westfield wrestling fans. So, I'll talk about their lineup and their first day performance to make it up to them. At 113, Porter Temples wins in the bloodround to be Westfield's first placer of the day. 145 pounder Ike O'Neill makes the semis and will take on upset winner Aiden Kiner of Mt. Vernon. #14 @ 160 Jason Rooney death a tough draw in the first round and loses a slim 4-3 match to #13 Adrian Pellot. He then loses another one point match in the bloodround to #5 Beau Brabender. Terrible luck for Rooney, but he will surely improve upon this performance. At 195, Jonathan Tanner also secures an upset win over #11 Henry Kukelhan to make the bloodround. I would pay special attention to this wrestler, who lost only a 4-3 match to #6 Kaden McConnell in the round of 16. I think Tanner could have state placement potential. Westfield ends the day in 17th place, with 3 wrestlers alive in day 2.

-I think O'Campo is gonna be the first female Al Smith winner. She has been very dominant thus far.

-A couple of unranked wrestlers I want to shoutout:

-Ayden Campbell of Chesterton has put up some nice results so far this season, and gave Hyatt Yeager everything he could handle. Look for a deep run from Campbell tomorrow.

-Not exactly sure what results have returning Al Smith runner-up Wesley Harper out of the rankings, but he's in the semis with a win over Josh Johnson. I expect Walker and Harper to be close than some people might think.

-Cathedral had somewhat of a rough day today, but Max McGinley really shined with a win over Lucas Clement. Now let's see if he can pick off a top 5 opponent in Reese Courtney

-Chesteron's Ben Shaffer is looking really tough with a win over Conner Watts and a dominating bloodround performance over fellow DAC competitor Ben Tollard.

-Elkhart's Ethan Freedline didn't survive the first day, but did take out Gavin Malone, and had a close 3-1 match with #9 Isaac Valdez in the bloodround. Tough bracket, but still made the most of his draw.

-Merriville's James Veal took out the two seed and #11 Henry Kukelhan to place himself in a nice spot tomorrow morning, where he will take on Kaden McConnell.

Edited by TysonNisley

2 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

Al Smith Day 1 Upsets:

106:

NR Logan Haney (CP) over #19 Justus Thrasher (CG) - dec 2-0

NR Xavier Chavez (MW) over #20 John Bissmeyer (IC) - fall 2:42

NR Sully Frazier (ZV) over #20 John Bissmeyer (IC) - md 11-2

113:

#14 @ 120 Tommy Frazier (ZV) over #9 E'Shawn Tolbert (PT)- dec 1-0

120:

NR Gabe Bragg (IC) over #16 Dylan Bennett (PN) - dec 6-3

126:

no upsets

132:

NR Wesley Harper (PN) over #11 Josh Johnson (IC) - fall 5:56

NR Griffin Van Tichelt (CP) over #11 Josh Johnson (IC) - dec 8-2

138:

NR Max McGinley (IC) over #9 Lucas Clement (MR) - fall 5:21

145:

#19 Aiden Kiner (MV) over #6 Dillon Graham (IC) - dec 6-4

152:

#10 Gavin Davis (BM) over #5 Beau Brabender (MW) - dec 5-4

#11 Silas Stits (CG) over #8 Evan Roudebush (BS) - dec 8-7

160:

NR Ben Shaffer (CH) over #13 Connor Watts (JT) - UTB 5-4

NR Deaglan Peak (WF) over #13 Connor Watts (JT) - dec 7-5

170:

NR Ethan Freedline (EH) over #6 Gavin Malone (WW) - dec 8-6

#11 Aidan Costello (HB) over #5 Kyle Harden (IC) - dec 5-3

#8 Anthony Cashman (WC) over #6 Gavin Malone (WW) - UTB 3-2

182:

#9 Luke Penola (ZV) over #6 Julian Weems (CG) - fall 2:28

#18 Mike Durham (WC) over #7 Kaden Lone (NW) - dec 3-2

195:

NR Brady King (NW) over #17 MJ Norman (WS) - dec 5-4

NR Russel Weaver (MV) over #20 Trent Kersey (LW) - fall 3:00

NR James Veal (MR) over #11 Henry Kukelhan (BM) - dec 6-5

NR Jonathan Tanner (WF) over #11 Henry Kukelhan (BM) - dec 5-1

#20 Trent Kersey (LW) over #19 Jack O'Connor (GR) - fall 2:28

220:

#6 Nate Johnson (CG) over #5 Jackson Weingart (IC) - fall 2:00

285:

#8 Tyler Schott (CG) over #3 Hosia Smith (IC) - dec 7-5

Personal notes from the day:

-biggest upset of the day for me is Schott over Smith. Really felt like Smith was a title contender this year and Schott went and confused the conversation a little bit. Especially interesting that Schott survived a triple overtime upset against UR heavyweight Eli Smith of Zionsville. Eli Smith would go on to lose in the bloodround to Hosia Smith, only 3-1. So,  does the heavyweight race for the state title has less competition now? Or more? Leave it up to heavyweight to keep things entertaining and unpredictable.

-Gavin Malone, Josh Johnson, Conner Watts, and Henry Kulkelhan don't survive until the second day. These wrestlers will surely be back stronger than before, but it demonstrates the brutal nature of this tournament.

-Two of three Crown Point backups make the second day. Griffin Van Tichelt earns a big win over Josh Johnson to do so, and a commanding win at that. Washington picks up no ranked wins but keeps it competitive against 4th seed Wesley Smith of Plymouth.

-Also realize that I completely missed Westfield when doing my writeup, so I apologize to any Westfield wrestling fans. So, I'll talk about their lineup and their first day performance to make it up to them. At 113, Porter Temples wins in the bloodround to be Westfield's first placer of the day. 145 pounder Ike O'Neill makes the semis and will take on upset winner Aiden Kiner of Mt. Vernon. #14 @ 160 Jason Rooney death a tough draw in the first round and loses a slim 4-3 match to #13 Adrian Pellot. He then loses another one point match in the bloodround to #5 Beau Brabender. Terrible luck for Rooney, but he will surely improve upon this performance. At 160, Deaglan Peak picks up a nice win over #13 Conner Watts to be the third placer for Westfield. At 195, Jonathan Tanner also secures an upset win over #11 Henry Kukelhan to make the bloodround. I would pay special attention to this wrestler, who lost only a 4-3 match to #6 Kaden McConnell in the round of 16. I think Tanner could have state placement potential. Westfield ends the day in 17th place, with 4 wrestlers alive in day 2.

-I think O'Campo is gonna be the first female Al Smith winner. She has been very dominant thus far.

-A couple of unranked wrestlers I want to shoutout:

-Ayden Campbell of Chesterton has put up some nice results so far this season, and gave Hyatt Yeager everything he could handle. Look for a deep run from Campbell tomorrow.

-Not exactly sure what results have returning Al Smith runner-up Wesley Harper out of the rankings, but he's in the semis with a win over Josh Johnson. I expect Walker and Harper to be close than some people might think.

-Cathedral had somewhat of a rough day today, but Max McGinley really shined with a win over Lucas Clement. Now let's see if he can pick off a top 5 opponent in Reese Courtney

-Chesteron's Ben Shaffer is looking really tough with a win over Conner Watts and a dominating bloodround performance over fellow DAC competitor Ben Tollard.

-Elkhart's Ethan Freedline didn't survive the first day, but did take out Gavin Malone, and had a close 3-1 match with #9 Isaac Valdez in the bloodround. Tough bracket, but still made the most of his draw.

-Merriville's James Veal took out the two seed and #11 Henry Kukelhan to place himself in a nice spot tomorrow morning, where he will take on Kaden McConnell.

I realize it has nothing to do with this year , but Harper did beat Walker 8-5 last year . 

Loving how competitive 132 is getting. Walker beats Buttler in the preseason, puts his name in there as a contender. Then Maldonado beats DeMarco during the Chesterton vs. Merriville dual. Now DeMarco takes out Walker in the finals at Al Smith. Throw in a couple of more unpredictable wrestlers like Kallamani (took Maldonado into UTB), Harper, Josh Johnson, Fortune, and some more proven names like Ison, Hammack, and Doster, and you've got yourself a weight class. And this is all without a potential Hawkins at 132 that hopefully returns by the end of the season. Can't wait to watch this weight class at state.

1 minute ago, TysonNisley said:

Loving how competitive 132 is getting. Walker beats Buttler in the preseason, puts his name in there as a contender. Then Maldonado beats DeMarco during the Chesterton vs. Merriville dual. Now DeMarco takes out Walker in the finals at Al Smith. Throw in a couple of more unpredictable wrestlers like Kallamani (took Maldonado into UTB), Harper, Josh Johnson, Fortune, and some more proven names like Ison, Hammack, and Doster, and you've got yourself a weight class. And this is all without a potential Hawkins at 132 that hopefully returns by the end of the season. Can't wait to watch this weight class at state.

Leavell, too? 

5 hours ago, navy80 said:

Last years' team scores.. Can CP beat last year?

1Crown Point HS 316.5

2Center Grove HS 282.5

3Indianapolis Cathedral HS 195.0

Crown Point gets 318 this year without Bahl, Goodwin, and Hawkins. They beat last years historic team record without 3 starters who were all ranked Top 2 in the state is crazy to think about.

CP had 5 champs in 2021 which was enough to break the team point record. 

CP had 7 champs in 2022 which was enough to beat the team point record again. So I’d have to assume they hold the team record at the Al Smith with individual champs.

Al Smith Day 2 Upsets:

106:

#9 Julianna O'Campo over #7 Kaleb Salazar - fall 6:25

#9 Julianna O'Campo over #8 Mason Jones - dec 2-0

#8 Mason Jones over #6 Cameron Meier - dec 5-2

113:

#17 Ryann Schmidtendorff over #10 Seth Aubin - dec 8-6

#14 Tommy Frazier over #9 E'Shawn Tolbert - dec 6-5

120:

#20 Sonny Sessa over #15 @ 113 Carter Fielden - dec 4-2

#18 Dominic Brown over #16 Dylan Bennett - dec 2-0

126:

#10 @ 120 Liam Krueger over #9 Hyatt Yeager - OT 5-3

132:

#9 Hayden DeMarco over #6 David Maldonado - dec 5-3

#9 Hayden DeMarco over #2 Eleazar Walker - dec 10-7

138:

#9 Lucas Clement over #8 Cooper Baldwin - dec 12-5

#12 Evan Cruz over #9 Lucas Clement - dec 2-0

NR Max McGinley over #12 Evan Cruz - dec 8-2

145:

NR Wesley Smith over #6 Dillon Graham - dec 1-0

NR Wesley Smith over #19 Aiden Kiner - md 12-1

152:

#11 Silas Stits over #5 Beau Brabender - dec 5-2

160:

#11 Brenton Russell over #10 Kenneth Bisping - fall 0:50

170:

#11 Aidan Costello over #8 Anthony Cashman - fall 0:36

182:

NR Jaxson Walters over #6 Julian Weems - fall 1:51

195:

#20 Trent Kersey over #10 Jackson Fox - fall 2:40

NR Jonathan Tanner over #10 Jackson Fox - dec 5-2

220:

#4 Tommy Morrill over #3 Devin Kendrex - OT 3-1

#5 Jackson Weingart over #3 Devin Kendrex - dec 10-3

#13 Keegan Martin over #5 Jackson Weingart - dec 9-6

285:

NR Trevi Conley over #17 Perris Green - fall 1:21

Day 2 Notes:

-biggest upset of the day for me is DeMarco over Walker. DeMarco, Walker, Leavell, Maldonado, Ison, Hammack, and hopefully Hawkins, along with a number of other great wrestlers at this weight are going to make this the hardest and most exciting weight class in the state

-good for O'Campo to become the first female Al Smith Classic winner, taking out two higher ranked opponent en route to her title. I think that it is very likely at this point that she will be the first Indiana female state placer, but how much higher can she go? Can she compete with Horn and Dickman for a state title?

-good day for Tommy Frazier at 113. Wrestled Jendreas pretty tough and doubled down on his win against Tolbert. These are the performances I look at when I try to make predictions come state tournament time. Even if somebody isn't ranked as high as somebody else, if one wrestler has momentum on their side, I become much more inclined to predict an upset. Uh oh, I'm giving away my secrets.

-ACTION JACKSON BAYBEE!!! On a real note though, congrats to Tishner to bringing it to him. Also a congrats to Tishner for avenging his Friday night loss to Eddie Goss in a dominating fashion.

-lots of talented unranked wrestlers at 126. Ayden Campbell, Will Mason, and Liam Baumgardner all looked solid this weekend.

-UR Max McGinley is the story of the weekend for 138. Dude proved himself as a top 8 guy. Cathedral might be tougher than I originally thought this year.

-Wesley Smith and Aiden Kiner both had great breakout performances this tournament, but Smith especially went off, beat #6 Dillon Graham and #19 Aiden Kiner, and losing only a 4-1 match to top ranked Aidan Torres. Curious to see how Wesley fits in at the East Chicago semi-state, especially with Bahl also present in that weight class. Smith would be a nasty 3 to draw into Friday night.

-152-182 were a lot less upset heavy, but some crazy pins made for some big upsets, notably UR Walters over #6 Weems. Costello had a nice performance, taking 4th and losing only tight matches to Clouser and Harden on day 2.

-Lowell's Trent Kersey bounced back from a round one upset to take 4th, beating #19 Jack O'Connor, Brady King, #10 Jackson Fox, and James Veal along the way. Great run from him.

-Peru's Trevi Conley has a nice tournament with a sixth place finish that included an upset over #17 Perris Green.

-25 upsets on each day to make 50 total upsets for this tournament. These are not including semi-state ranked upsets, but I hope these lists help for people that are putting results in. I could do it myself but... nah.

2 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

Keaton Morton just took out Hammack at Mater Dei, 7-4.

9 hours ago, M109R said:

There was a Caveman that had other plans . 

Looked like a good hard fought match that could have went either way. Overtime match I believe ? So…. McConnell will be a Contender next month . 🤷🏽‍♂️ what do I know ? 

He see’s … 

Haley Joel Osment Movie GIF 

I see Champions … 

Pro Wrestling Win GIF by Looney Tunes 
😂 

On 12/30/2022 at 4:04 PM, TysonNisley said:

good for O'Campo to become the first female Al Smith Classic winner, taking out two higher ranked opponent en route to her title. I think that it is very likely at this point that she will be the first Indiana female state placer, but how much higher can she go? Can she compete with Horn and Dickman for a state title?

The only issue for all the FW 106's is how crowded it is. There could be a state Top 5 talent out of FW getting 3rd place because of draws and then get drawn into a Friday night match with Rioux or Dickson at state for example. 

3 minutes ago, maligned said:

The only issue for all the FW 106's is how crowded it is. There could be a state Top 5 talent out of FW getting 3rd place because of draws and then get drawn into a Friday night match with Rioux or Dickson at state for example. 

FW 106 is really deep out side of bollinger, horn, ocampo the ticket round will be nasty. 

Champs 

4A- Crown point (also Center Grove3rd, Cathedral4th, Penn 6th)

3A- Mishawaka (Columbus East2nd, Hobart6th) 

2A- Western (Garrett6th, Bellmont7th, Wawasee9th) 

1A- 6th Prarie Heights 

all attend Al Smith this year, 3 of the 4 champs. Might need to invite Tell City in the future.

All teams looking, message Mishawaka about attending 2023 a good way to get Battle Tested before the Team State 

Edited by ontherise219