Programs with Most Depth at a Single Weight Class

blueandgold

I don’t know if any other school’s have done this, but Perry Meridian from 2011-2015 produced a great crop of state-level 125/126-pound wrestlers and also from 2012-2017 produced a great crop of 132-pound wrestlers.

125/126

• 2011: Jared McKinley, Champion at 125 lbs.
  • 2012: Cody LeCount, Runner-Up at 126 lbs.
  • 2013: Brandon James, 5th at 126 lbs.
  • 2014: Aidan Kenny, Qualifier at 126 lbs.
  • 2015: Ngun Uk, 6th at 126 lbs.

• 2012: Jared McKinley, Champion at 132 lbs.
  • 2013: Cody LeCount, Champion at 132 lbs.
  • 2014: Brandon James, Runner-Up at 132 lbs.
  • 2016: D.J. Brookbank, 7th at 132 lbs.
  • 2017: Jack Servies, Qualifier at 132 lbs.

Note: 2015, #9 Jordan Napier was a regional champion and got beat in the ticket round 3-2 by Evan Eldred from Westfield

Pretty solid stuff from the boys in blue out south to have seen success at those weights.

There were a couple years where Mishawaka had a few deep classes that I was apart of Randy Morin, Travis Thomas, Darius Cooley. i believe it was Randy’s Jr year he got third. All three heavyweights had wins against each other in challenges.

the lower weights were always loaded too 112-119-125

we could bump the lineup between

Myself (3rd twice)

Harper (3x state champ)

Adam Guerra (5th)

Matt Guerra (4th)

fave is a ton of flexibility on moving the lineup and getting best matchups

Mater Dei had a kid named Noah Schwitzer (I’m sure I spelled that wrong) was a multiple time ISWA state champ as a cadet and junior and never cracked their line up for a sectional. Depth wise I always think of Mater Dei and the quality of their back ups!

4 minutes ago, busstogate said:

I was mad Darius went over yonder from Pierre Moran Middle School in Elkhart.  He was a good biggun for sure.

He was a good kid. I haven't heard about him in a while but I hope he made it out he had a rough time with life sometimes. It’s a shame he was never able to show his stuff in the big stage he was just as good as any of those guys

7 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

Mater Dei had a kid named Noah Schwitzer (I’m sure I spelled that wrong) was a multiple time ISWA state champ as a cadet and junior and never cracked their line up for a sectional. Depth wise I always think of Mater Dei and the quality of their back ups!

That was their bread and butter see the 2007 team. Lovelace was a backup and pinned our 5th place finisher. Frickin Mater Dei amiright

16 hours ago, QuinnHarris said:

Noah Schweizer, and yes, I remember him. He was beating guys like Trent Pruitt, Preston Mantel, and Forrest Glogouski in years they were downtown at State. He beat Glogouski in 2014 after he already got state runner-up and was about to become an All-American at Senior Nationals.

On 12/28/2022 at 12:06 PM, navy80 said:

I believe it was Brody Baumman or Cole Ross from Mater Dei that were JV their freshman year. MD had such a tough lineup in the lower weights it was almost uncrackable.

Alec Freeman was JV as a freshman as was Baumann. Freeman went on to place 3 times and was a runner up as a senior and Baumann a 2 time champion. That's tough. 

On 12/29/2022 at 10:14 AM, blueandgold said:

Noah Schweizer, and yes, I remember him. He was beating guys like Trent Pruitt, Preston Mantel, and Forrest Glogouski in years they were downtown at State. He beat Glogouski in 2014 after he already got state runner-up and was about to become an All-American at Senior Nationals.

Schweizer was behind some kid named Nick Lee when Noah was a senior and Nick was a freshman. 

On 12/28/2022 at 6:16 PM, Ahawkeye said:

MD mid season backup entry Rob Mallory placed 6th in '98. Rob replaced a very accomplished wrestler named Tim Scott who I believe blew out his knee. Tim still came to help out at practice as much as he could. 

Same thing happened in '89.  Dan Ritzert won a wrestle off late in the season at 171 after not being the starter and went on to place 6th at 171