Article: Bulldog Breakdown: Key Pieces Help Elevate Brownsburg Wrestling Under Snyder

Y2CJ41

By Anna Kayser

If you’ve been an unfamiliar passerby in the town of Brownsburg, Ind. over the past seven years, one of the first things that might catch your eye are the purple street signs – deep purple markers adorned with a bulldog, two on each corner if you’re lucky.

At least, that’s what I noticed as I drove through the small – but not too small – suburb of Indianapolis en route to the fourth official practice of the 2022-23 IHSAA wrestling season, with no prior knowledge other than what was scribbled on the notepad next to me.

One thing I hadn’t taken note of prior to passing the “Welcome to Brownsburg” sign on Highway 139, and something that might give any other small-town Midwesterner the same familiar wave of recognition: The residents of this town about 30 minutes northwest of downtown Indy live and breathe Brownsburg High School athletics.

The 2021-22 Brownsburg wrestling team was nothing to snub at. The Bulldogs went 18-1 in duals and extended their program-record streak to eight consecutive Hoosier Crossroads Conference championships. Jake Hockaday led the lineup with the first state title by a freshman in school history, continuing Brownsburg’s reign of crowning one champion each year since 2016. More on him later – I promise.

View full article

Thanks Joe for this article! I'd been involved with the Brownsburg Wrestling Club since my son was a preschooler and he's now in his senior year. Coach Snyder coming to Brownsburg has been instrumental to keeping the talent at home (Mulkey/Lee). He's a big reason why Lee, Mulkey, Miller, Ison and Jones have stayed through HS in the community they started school in...

The superintendant of schools attends home meets and conference, sectionals, regionals, semi state and state - that's a testament to his support of Snyder and the program! 

Looking forward to these articles throughout the season!