MS State Qualifers

Galagore

This was posted in the Youth Wrestling forum as well, but when I went to "bump" it, I noticed it was still the top thread. It has no replies, and only 133 views, so I am posting here. Does anyone know if/how MS qualifiers are going to work this season? They are posted on track, but there is nothing on the IHSWCA nor the ISWA page about them.

I looked it up, and while the actual site isn’t updated, the attachments are. Four qualifiers, top 8 qualify for state. 

Followup question, how is this allowed in season and how should it be advertised? Its unique since it’s on a Sunday and can’t be officially scheduled, but how does it work being in season? I’m new into the technicalities of middle school wrestling and want to take a group this year. 

Middle school sports aren't under the IHSSA.  IHSAA is only for high school sports. Middle school "season" isn't consistent across the state either nor are weight classes.  I assume that is what you were referring too. Sunday is likely the day due to gym/facility availability.

Edited by RAJR

Any idea on the cost of the qualifiers? Or is it one registration fee that covers both tournaments? Spectator fee same as finals or is it cheaper for qualifiers?

Hoping to put together our 4th/5th team and our MS team information in the next few weeks, and I would like to be able to offer this as an opportunity. It will be new for our program, so parents will have lots of questions:}

48 minutes ago, Galagore said:

Any idea on the cost of the qualifiers? Or is it one registration fee that covers both tournaments? Spectator fee same as finals or is it cheaper for qualifiers?

Hoping to put together our 4th/5th team and our MS team information in the next few weeks, and I would like to be able to offer this as an opportunity. It will be new for our program, so parents will have lots of questions:}

Here's both flyers I found. 

IHSWCA Middle School State Flyer.docx O-684800132-IHSWCA_Middle_School_State_North_Qualifier_Flyer.docx

21 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

Or weight classes. 

Tell me about it.  I fought that one for years at the MS level.  Can’t even get teams in the same region if the state on the same page with that and then add in if, when, and how much for the growth allowance.  

I like the idea of the qualifier being put in place that way you don't have people end up in 65+ man brackets and have people sign up, go wrestle and get knocked out in 20 seconds, and i think it makes more sense cause then you would actually qualify to wrestle at the state tournament rather than just sign up

34 minutes ago, Paycheck141 said:

I like the idea of the qualifier being put in place that way you don't have people end up in 65+ man brackets and have people sign up, go wrestle and get knocked out in 20 seconds, and i think it makes more sense cause then you would actually qualify to wrestle at the state tournament rather than just sign up

Most qualifiers will barely have as many kids that qualify. Last year I believe they might have been taking 12 from each one. The heavier weights will most likely be under what they take. We have done it for years and had no problems with how it was and out of there at a decent time.

I like it because it gives our MS wrestlers a chance to see where they are without the full state commitment. They'll know if they place 5th in a bracket of 20, they are probably good to go ahead and give it a shot at state. If they place 7th in a bracket of 10, then they'll know (even though they qualified) it's probably not worth the time and money to head to state. If people choose to go simply because they auto-qualify, more power to them, but they'll know what they're getting into.

I think they should allow for athletes to not have to wrestle in the qualifiers. Things such as previous top 4 at MS State or national credentials like Tulsa, Fargo, etc should get you a free pass to state. I like the foresight to make state something prestigious and be able to showcase the finals better with a limited number of entries.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:49 PM, Trinedad said:

It has been a looooong time since my son wrestled middle school matches. When did they start qualifying for this event. It used to be if you thought you were good, you showed up and saw what you were made of.

I remember winning my conference tournament in 7th grade and thinking I was hot stuff. Then I went dos and adios at state. That was a real eye opener.