Curious On Numbers

nkraus

What are your numbers after 5 days?  We're at 39.  Of course, a couple are injured and not currently able to be on the mat, but that's where we stand roster wise now.  It's not the best numbers we've ever had, but it's solid of course.  Recently at our conference meeting we were able to hear some of our conference teams' numbers...

They ranged anywhere from 8-39, with a few teams being in the 30s.

10 hours ago, nkraus said:

What are your numbers after 5 days?  We're at 39.  Of course, a couple are injured and not currently able to be on the mat, but that's where we stand roster wise now.  It's not the best numbers we've ever had, but it's solid of course.  Recently at our conference meeting we were able to hear some of our conference teams' numbers...

As of yesterday with 2 new kids, 42.

23 hours ago, Galagore said:

8 men

3 women

We have almost 50 in our intramural k-3 program, so hopefully future numbers are trending upward.

Additionally, I have received about 3 times the usual amount of emails requesting teams to invitationals. Hopefully that is not a sign of teams folding up shop.

We do have more openings in tourneys than I remember. Perhaps with the addition of girls wrestling teams are restructuring the boys too so that they can cover coaching?

We have 47 boys and 10 girls this year. About average for us but the weird one is we have 16 freshman and 7 of them are first year wrestlers. We usually only have 3-4 total brand new kids to the sport. Glad to have them though!

On 11/5/2022 at 12:10 AM, nkraus said:

Interesting thing about our numbers---we had a few kids decide not to come out, but we still have 15 freshman that came out, which could be a great thing moving forward..(class was 22 if you count all that wrestled in 8th grade, but I knew some wouldn't continue wrestling in HS)

This is a great sign in the thread so far!! Our Club has really really helped bolster overall numbers and Development I'm these parts, NC should have a much more complete team than recent years past and the annual 30 pt FF Hole before the duals started. 

I guarantee the Popularity of not only wrestling itself, but Other combat Sports that are in the grappling realm, are all contributing/ helping the Numbers, not to mention the Young ladies getting their due and Women's/men's MMA being arguably one of the most popular sports all around right now..

We all know Wrestling is the foundation of the Fightng Discipline Pyramid!

No-Gi Submission grappling as well has exploded and we are starting to see the first wave of the Child prodigies from the TUF era.. The Ruatolo Brothers are the Jesse Mendez of Sub grappling.. Kade hardly 19 just became the youngest ever ADCC (OLYMPICS OF NO GI) Champion.. And they both hold

ONE FC Sub grappling titles (Onefc Is the same org Brooks is about to fight for his world title soon) 

Flo,Rokfin,OneFc They are doing Cross over grappling matches, with PD3/Bo nickal VS Gordon Ryan(Burroughs of no gi)...

RBY wrestled The current 135 UFC champ, then they did a sub Grappling match.. 

I'm starting to see a wonderful blend of all these Grappling forms and talent Like the Ruatolo Brothers, who Have sick Takedowns, Funk looks you wouldn't believe all while strangling ppl before they can even bring their hips to the party ... these 19 year old phenoms have been training No Gi Sub grappling since 3 years old and have already put their own signature series on the sport have the most dangerous front choke series (D'arce ESPECIALLY) and very much like Mr Mendez have been smashing older guys since young teens.. They can actually wrestle along with rip every limb off I'm a blink of an eye . I highly recommend looking into them. 

We are going to have such High level athletes from cross training that, eventually, kids will be taking other Grappling sports as to the traditional other sports with balls etc.. Not to mention the Big MMA GYMS like ATT In Boca Raton and their many other Gyms, always hire High level wrestlers to coach.. Great gigs for up and coming fighters that are wrestlers making the jump.. ATT pay room and board, Per diem and salary etc.. THEY put out ads for Big 10 wrestlers and Purdue itself have a few world class guys that taking the fight game by storm. 

Danny sabatello might be the most entertaining guy all around in the game right now and it's about to fight for the Bellator world title soon, as well as former world title challenger Juan Archuletta. 

I love seeing the Boom in the last few years steadily, and wonderful sites like this 1, are also to Thank, without the 800 Pound Vanilla Gorilla @Y2CJ41 and DaRegions Very own Albino Rhino Reiser, CalebDamus and rest of the 

INDIANA-MAT MAFIOSOS , thank you! 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Hate to be a negative Nancy, but do you think it's possible that the only people who reply to a question like this are ones who have good numbers? Like I said, we are getting more schedule requests by far than other years, which may be an indication of struggling programs dropping out of events. Until we stop winning dual meets with our tiny roster, I will not feel comfortable with the state of wrestling participation in Indiana. At least northern Indiana.

2 minutes ago, Galagore said:

Hate to be a negative Nancy, but do you think it's possible that the only people who reply to a question like this are ones who have good numbers? Like I said, we are getting more schedule requests by far than other years, which may be an indication of struggling programs dropping out of events. Until we stop winning dual meets with our tiny roster, I will not feel comfortable with the state of wrestling participation in Indiana. At least northern Indiana.

You may be correct…I’ve reached out to a few coaches because I am curious 

Last year first day we had 13 kids.

Finished the season with 20.

This year the whole first week we had 22 and some middle schoolers without any of our football guys. Should have them in the room today!

62 in our youth program that fires up tomorrow and another 30+ on our MS roster!

27 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

Last year first day we had 13 kids.

Finished the season with 20.

This year the whole first week we had 22 and some middle schoolers without any of our football guys. Should have them in the room today!

62 in our youth program that fires up tomorrow and another 30+ on our MS roster!

The same coaches and programs with high numbers are the same coaches and programs you see at off season events.  It's all about engagement no matter what size school you are. Coaching a high school program is not a 4 month job. It's a year round commitment just like it is for your wrestlers that really want success. Until everyone buys into that we will have what we have. Nice job Quinn I see you everywhere.

3 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

The same coaches and programs with high numbers are the same coaches and programs you see at off season events.  It's all about engagement no matter what size school you are. Coaching a high school program is not a 4 month job. It's a year round commitment. Until everyone buys into that we will have what we have. Nice Quinn.

Coach you hit the nail on the head. You have to get these kids involved in summer / offseason events so they can experience the success that they may not always find during season!

Just now, QuinnHarris said:

Coach you hit the nail on the head. You have to get these kids involved in summer / offseason events so they can experience the success that they may not always find during season!

Also they see you leading by example which in my opinion is the most important type of leadership there is.

We have 44 at Rochester.  35 Boys and 9 Girls.  We have a few things in place that have really helped our program...

1.  Club - The kids we have now and have coming were part of our first runner up finish at the ISWA Elementary State Duals to Adam Central.  Most of them started wrestling in Kindergarten.

2.  Middle School - We are fortunate to have two of our coaches at the MS that are also teachers in that building.  They coach HS and MS.  This has been a game changer.

3.  Legacy Kids - We have at least 14 kids that have had dad's, uncles, or siblings wrestle for me.  

We will have 30-35 kids on our MS Team and we will have close to 80 in our youth programs.

Our youth program at Edgewood has been increasing in numbers every year since I took over.  We are at just over 80 kids.  I know the MS program had their highest numbers last year (upper 30s maybe more).  The HS program has been pretty consistent with numbers but I don't know their count.

16 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

This is a great sign in the thread so far!! Our Club has really really helped bolster overall numbers and Development I'm these parts, NC should have a much more complete team than recent years past and the annual 30 pt FF Hole before the duals started. 

I guarantee the Popularity of not only wrestling itself, but Other combat Sports that are in the grappling realm, are all contributing/ helping the Numbers, not to mention the Young ladies getting their due and Women's/men's MMA being arguably the the most popular sport all around right now..

We all know Wrestling is the foundation of the Fightng Discipline Pyramid!

No-Gi Submission grappling as well has exploded and we are starting to see the first wave of the Child prodigies from the TUF era.. The Ruatolo Brothers are the Jesse Mendez of Sub grappling.. Kade hardly 19 just became the youngest ever ADCC (OLYMPICS OF NO GI) Champion.. And they both hold

ONE FC Sub grappling titles (Onefc Is the same org Brooks is about to fight for his world title soon) 

Flo,Rokfin,OneFc They are doing Cross over grappling matches, with PD3/Bo nickal VS Gordon Ryan(Burroughs of no gi)...

RBY wrestled The current 135 UFC champ, then they did a sub Grappling match.. 

I'm starting to see a wonderful blend of all these Grappling forms and talent Like the Ruatolo Brothers, who Have sick Takedowns, Funk looks you wouldn't believe all while strangling ppl before they can even bring their hips to the party ... these 19 year old phenoms have been training No Gi Sub grappling since 3 years old and have already put their own signature series on the sport have the most dangerous front choke series (D'arce ESPECIALLY) and very much like Mr Mendez have been smashing older guys since young teens.. They can actually wrestle along with rip every limb off I'm a blink of an eye . I highly recommend looking into them. 

We are going to have such High level athletes from cross training that, eventually, kids will be taking other Grappling sports as to the traditional other sports with balls etc.. Not to mention the Big MMA GYMS like ATT In Boca Raton and their many other Gyms, always hire High level wrestlers to coach.. Great gigs for up and coming fighters that are wrestlers making the jump.. ATT pay room and board, Per diem and salary etc.. THEY put out ads for Big 10 wrestlers and Purdue itself have a few world class guys that taking the fight game by storm. 

Danny sabatello might be the most entertaining guy all around in the game right now and it's about to fight for the Bellator world title soon, as well as former world title challenger Juan Archuletta. 

I love seeing the Boom in the last few years steadily, and wonderful sites like this 1, are also to Thank, without the 800 Pound Vanilla Gorilla @Y2CJ41 and DaRegions Very own Albino Rhino Reiser, CalebDamus and rest of the 

INDIANA-MAT MAFIOSOS , thank you! 

MMA is nowhere near being the most popular sport right now.  It is still very much a niche sport.  

7 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

MMA is nowhere near being the most popular sport right now.  It is still very much a niche sport.  

You're sadly mistaken, there is a reason during the pandemic the UFC broke all of it's records and has quadrupled it's networth in the last 5 years.. McGregor was #1 Forbes list athlete, that's not even including Bellator being a pipeline for blue chip wrestlers... MMA is its infancy compared to the rest of the other pro sports, so considering the MLB has had a 120+ year head start and the world series doesn't have the buzz major fights do these days..

Just because it might not be your preference, doesn't mean it's not Def 1 of the most popular sports right now.. Ave only getting more popular..

UFC Cards are top seller last few months for Panini America's with soccer being the other. Niche markets aren't a byproduct of a melting pot of grappling/striking Disciplines in turn bringing that demographic to MMA to see how their guy dies crossing over to MMA.. Bo Nickal opened bud own ATT gym and has gotten the entire NLWC nation on board with the big gun making the jump. 

The more eyes on combat sports the better it is for the growth ass participation.. 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170