Jesse Mendez at 133, how does he stack up?!?

The rumor I’ve heard is that if the staff has already decided that Jesse is going at 133 and Bouzakis is redshirting, there’s no benefit to having them wrestle each other for the public. Which would also check out as to why Bouzakis didn’t have a challenge match.

Jesse is going to start his career off with a bang with a win over Byrd.

4 minutes ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Bonus points I’m predicting!

No shot, Byrd is really tough and is definitely more proven than Mendez. I wouldn't count Mendez out, especially since he has a win over Chris Cannon who is also a 133 AA, but Mendez won't bonus a guy of this caliber. 1 or 2 point difference I'm predicting. And that's if Ragusin doesn't stop Mendez first.

12 minutes ago, TysonNisley said:

No shot, Byrd is really tough and is definitely more proven than Mendez. I wouldn't count Mendez out, especially since he has a win over Chris Cannon who is also a 133 AA, but Mendez won't bonus a guy of this caliber. 1 or 2 point difference I'm predicting. And that's if Ragusin doesn't stop Mendez first.

😏

Been watching MSU open today. Looks like we probably will see Byrd Vs Mendez. Have watched and cornered for and against these kids since they were in about second grade. In semis now. I predict Jesse by 3 in the finals. 

Btw… the outlaws always seemed to get the best of ol Byrd back in the day. He would always come over and give us the hardest boney fist bump and typically a good cuss word or two. 😂 He’s always been a tough little dude! 

Mendez beats Byrd by 1. Got cheated out of two backs (just saying). Went as I assumed It would. With that said… Byrd is physically strong. He wrestled quite a bit on his knees from neutral. Found his opportunity and twisted Byrd off. Byrd got his foot on the wood with a 1 count. Bigger mat Jesse May have gotten a fall. Jesse was very patient and handled it well. Great job Jesse! 

Edited by Mattyb

Worth noting Byrd a redshirt sophmore already has two 5th place finishes at NCAAs.  Mendez also took out NCAA qualifier and current 19th ranked Drury 5-0 in the semis.  There is a lot of the season to go, but Mendez showed the rest of DI that he’s definitely had All-American ability this season. 

Edited by MattM

1 minute ago, Chris Cooper said:

Disappointing we won’t see Bouzakis compete vs this field at 133 this year.  

He ran through the Fresh-Soph field today.  I’m guessing Tom Ryan has a plan to optimize his team title chance with how he uses them both over the next few years at 133-141. 

47 minutes ago, MattM said:

He ran through the Fresh-Soph field today.  I’m guessing Tom Ryan has a plan to optimize his team title chance with how he uses them both over the next few years at 133-141. 

That’s the thing… nobody knows. All of these kids are on different journeys. He may be there 4 years or 7 years. We can speculate till the cows come home. It will do us no good. For now Jesse is the guy at 133. As a parent of a kid that graduates college this year… it flies by! Let’s all just sit back and watch this young man make us proud. 

4 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Mendez made his debut this week in all four ranking services.

InterMat and WIN Magazine have him at #11, while Flo and Wrestlestat have him at #5.

That I did not know! Let’s go for a first period pin today then!!!!

3 hours ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Mendez did well yesterday, I think takeaways from that match is that he can get off bottom, can continue to push the pace, and wrestles the entire match. He will still be at the top. 

Yep. While I did not see the match, I do not feel like a true freshman taking a 1 point lose to a ranked wrestler is any great cause for concern. Sanderson's record survives another year.