Jesse Mendez at 133, how does he stack up?!?

For those that dont know Jesse just pinned Koontz in 1:58 at his debut in Covelli Center. With this win over someone that has been in the game for a minute in college wrestling how will he stack up against the rest of the 133 field? 

I believe and hope if Ohio makes him start this season, we will see him being a contender right away for a NCAA title. I hate to be the guy that uses freestyle wrestling as a measuring stick for Folkstyle but come on! Jesse just about took out Gross a few couple of months ago and Gross turns around and took out FIX! I want to and feel like this is a good indicator that RBY vs Mendez is going to be FIRE!! If and when it happens OfCourse. 

Big Mendez fan but 133 is really tough.  I am thinking 6-8 or round of 12 this year.  Biggest thing will be how he gets out from bottom.  Was really hoping he would redshirt and then I think he would have been in the category as a 4x champion.  RBY and Fix will be 1 and 2 if healthy.  Good luck to Mendez he is fun to watch. 

At the top end, I think he can be top out at 4th. The top four at 133 of RBY, Daton, and Vito are studs who have been around the block and that's tough to break through. I think low end, and what's probably more likely, is he ends up 7th or 8th at NCAAs or ends up in the blood round. 

He's definitely the best option at 133 right now for Ohio State, but I was really hoping he would redshirt this year. Just give him a year in the room to acclimate to the college season, and let the weight class clear out a bit to graduation. 

On 10/27/2022 at 8:59 PM, Ahawkeye said:

I'm an MD fan through and through but in my opinion NCAA better watch out for J.M.! If they start him I say 4xer. I've been wrong before and will be again but if he stays healthy he is a dangerous opponent!

He’s not beating RBY this year

On the Ohio state boards they say Bouzakis is beating Mendez in the room??  Redshirt for both these guys would be good.  Probably the reason they did not wrestle off.  Maybe get more answers at Michigan state open.  I just don't see either at 141 so I guess one has to go this year and the other next year at 133.  

I think the 133 situational comes down to when Tom Ryan wants to start putting all his chips in for multiple title runs.  If he’s wanting both Bouzakis and Mendez in the lineup as soon as possible he probably starts Bouzakis this year at 133 and redshirts Mendez in hopes he get to a solid 141 by next season.  If he’s fine waiting two years then he may start Jesse this year at 133 and redshirt Bouzakis, then start Bouzakis next year at 133 and redshirting Jesse to give him the year to get to 141.  So they both are in the lineup at 133 and 141 in a few years and with multiple years experience under their belts too.  I think those are the senecios he’s had to work out.  But obviously all that could change if one of them make huge gains in ability vs. college studs, puts on weight than current expectations, or if the injury bug to anyone details OSU projections for the next few season.  

On 10/27/2022 at 8:59 PM, Ahawkeye said:

I'm an MD fan through and through but in my opinion NCAA better watch out for J.M.! If they start him I say 4xer. I've been wrong before and will be again but if he stays healthy he is a dangerous opponent!

Let's pump the brakes on the 4xer talk.  Koontz was 4-12 last year, so it shouldn't be a surprise that Jesse dominated him.  It will be very tough for him to break into the top 3 this year.  I think he is a solid AA though.  Just can't see him beating RBY, Fix, Vito.

10 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

Let's pump the brakes on the 4xer talk.  Koontz was 4-12 last year, so it shouldn't be a surprise that Jesse dominated him.  It will be very tough for him to break into the top 3 this year.  I think he is a solid AA though.  Just can't see him beating RBY, Fix, Vito.

Not sure he's a 4xer anything can happen though but you are talking about the kid who has never wrestled a college match and was a point from teching Seth Gross. He is pretty impressive, but I do agree those other 3 are very talented foes! Should be a fun season at 133!

2 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

As stated, I've been wrong before. If Mendez gets a shot at them prior to the tournament, he might just come up with a game plan. Yes he's a true freshman, yes we are talking about some of the best in the biz, but I think he's got a shot. Still wouldn't mind a redshirt though.

Edited by Ahawkeye

3 minutes ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Jesse almost beats gross… what make you think he can’t bang with fix and rby? Jesse is coming into his freshman college year more seasoned then French fries at a fair.

He also got beat by his teammate Bouzakis and got controlled by another Freshman in Swiderski.  I just think that the RBY, Fix, Vito mountain is too tall to climb at the moment.  Could he pull an upset?  Sure, but I wouldn't put money on it.  Like I said, I think he is a solid AA as a true freshman, but i don't see him winning nationals.  

We've had other "seasoned" guys that haven't won as true freshman (or at all for that matter).  It's not a slight against Jesse to say that it would be a huge upset if he knocks off guys like RBY or Fix.  I just don't think he's at that level yet.  Here's to him proving me wrong.

I will go AA for our guy if he goes this year. He would not be favorite to win it all but like I said before… most growth is that off season going into freshman college season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got hot late in the season and pulled it off. Just wish him a healthy season. We will be rooting for him! 

20 hours ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Jesse almost beats gross… what make you think he can’t bang with fix and rby? Jesse is coming into his freshman college year more seasoned then French fries at a fair.

For me it is the combination of 1) being a freshman, and 2) being a Buckeye. Neither of those are known for getting off bottom. While his freestyle results against top guys are impressive, until I see how he gets off bottom, I will have my doubts about any true freshman.

BTW, RBY credits none other than Nick Lee for schooling him from top position when he first arrived at PSU. I think his quote was, "Dude just hammered me." Hopefully Mendez is getting that kind of intro to college folkstyle in the anOSU room.

3 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

BTW, RBY credits none other than Nick Lee for schooling him from top position when he first arrived at PSU. I think his quote was, "Dude just hammered me." Hopefully Mendez is getting that kind of intro to college folkstyle in the anOSU room.

This is similar to a common conversation that I have had with many college freshman when they go onto the next level. In D1, 90 percent of the kids that go there are state champs (if not multiple time state champs). The vast majority get to college and get beat the hell up. Most struggle to score a point when they get there. I have seen soooo many studs go and not evolve and not make the line up or not stick it out. Every team has an average of 40 kids. Most of them go to their schools thinking that they will be a four year starter and compete for a national title. The kids that make it, take those first lumps and elevate their game to become the person giving those lumps. Again.. thats why I say that the most growth is going into that freshman year. 

I can almost say without a doubt that Mendez has experience some beatdowns in that room. I also feel confident in saying that Mendez has evolved greatly in that room. He will be ready (IMO). Again.. if he stays healthy... I predict AA. If he gets hot... possible title. 

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

This is similar to a common conversation that I have had with many college freshman when they go onto the next level. In D1, 90 percent of the kids that go there are state champs (if not multiple time state champs). The vast majority get to college and get beat the hell up. Most struggle to score a point when they get there. I have seen soooo many studs go and not evolve and not make the line up or not stick it out. Every team has an average of 40 kids. Most of them go to their schools thinking that they will be a four year starter and compete for a national title. The kids that make it, take those first lumps and elevate their game to become the person giving those lumps. Again.. thats why I say that the most growth is going into that freshman year. 

I can almost say without a doubt that Mendez has experience some beatdowns in that room. I also feel confident in saying that Mendez has evolved greatly in that room. He will be ready (IMO). Again.. if he stays healthy... I predict AA. If he gets hot... possible title. 

Highly agree with this, I always tell incoming freshmen to prepare to get the crap beat out of them, no matter how good they are. The level in a college room is just different. Even the guys that didn't accomplish a lot in high school give some of our best recruits some trouble when they're first in there. Guarantee even Spencer Lee was getting worked for a while, it all depends on who makes that adjustment and commits to the college level and who doesn't.

Not sure if Mendez ever thought about going to Penn St.  But sitting a year behind RBY then taking over at 133 next year could have been a good route.  But who knows he is really good and may sneak up on some of these 5 year seniors and 4 year juniors.  Good luck to Jesse.  Too bad him and Bouzakis are both 133 and I don't see that changing unless Bouzakis goes 141, which I think is highly unlikely.

On 11/1/2022 at 7:51 PM, smitty11 said:

Not sure if Mendez ever thought about going to Penn St.  But sitting a year behind RBY then taking over at 133 next year could have been a good route.  But who knows he is really good and may sneak up on some of these 5 year seniors and 4 year juniors.  Good luck to Jesse.  Too bad him and Bouzakis are both 133 and I don't see that changing unless Bouzakis goes 141, which I think is highly unlikely.

Of course Penn State is always an amazing option for the elite wrestlers, but I remember in his commitment video he said Ohio State’s strong recruiting class was a big reason for going and he wanted to help build a dynasty. And it’s hard to blame him, as the Buckeyes could be rocking a lineup full of AA threats from top to bottom(sans 184) as early as next year.

One of he or Bouzakis will absolutely end up at 141 next year(unless Jesse redshirts while Bouzakis goes at 133), and just my guess that has no bearing in reality, it will likely be Jesse as his frame looks more “fill-outable” than Nic’s. Wasn’t Jesse originally recruited as a 141? 

On 10/31/2022 at 3:46 PM, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Another thing that you may have not given a thought about is folk vs free. Jesse put it on Seth in free. The elite hs. Wrestlers aren’t given much opportunity to fight off of bottom. They’re usually controlling most matches. Thus the learning curve for escape  is weak and needs to be accelerated in order to succeed in college for most freshman.