OSU Buckeyes 22-23

Posted this in August on nhs67 post. Just thought I'd move it over here.

Ohio State University-OSU

125 Maik Heinsleman  - SR, Five year starter.  can be a five time NQ.  Hope he AA's this season. Been a great Buckeye. AA

125 Brady Koontz - JR,  GR focus. 

133 Andre Gonzalez - RSFR, I've had him moving down after Malik is finished. Not sure now with the two FR coming in. 23-5 RS season.
133 Bouzakis - RS, He's going to get those five dates and I wouldn't be surprised if he's wrestling at the B1G tourney. NQ 
133 Mendez - RS, Hopefully he gets those five dates as well. But he RS's proper. 
133 Dylan Koontz - SR, Has stepped in when asked and absorbed some beatings. Hopefully he finds a place in GR. Been a great Buckeye.

141 Dylan D'Emilio - SO, Has wrestled better each season. Two time NQ with a R16.  D'Emilio continues to improve. AA within reach. NQ
141 Jordan Decatur - JR, No idea where he falls? Still has RS available.

149 Sammy Sasso - JR, Three time NQ, two time AA (5th & 2nd).  I feel like Sasso has been figured out. AA
149 Gavin Brown - RS, Three timer in Ohio(lost COVID year). 120-11.

157 Paddy Gallagher - RSFR, OSU fans have been waiting for him. We've heard he wasn't healthy last season. Had a good RS year 17-2, no big wins and lost to a HS guy (All pretty irrelevant).  Wide open weight class. Buckeyes need him to produce. NQ
157 Bryce Hepner - SO, Good wrestler who split time last season.
157 Issac Wilcox - SO, Split time with Hepner last season.

165 Carson Kharchla - SO, Five losses. Griffith, Amine, Hamiti, O'Toole and The Bull by a total of nine points with two SV losses. It gets no easier this season. AA

174 Ethan Smith - SR, Possible five time NQ. R16, 5th, R12. Disappointing NCAA last season. Lost to Eischens in R1 by a point(WTF) and then to Plott in R12.  I'll leave out the Ethan Smith joke knowing that nhs gets it. Been a great Buckeye. AA

184 Kaleb Romero - SR, Three time NQ, R12, 6th. Lost to Hidlay by a point. He has improved every season. I expect the same. Been a great Buckeye. AA
184 Gavin Bell - SO, He'll get some matches. 12-5 last season in the Open circuit.
184 Luke Geoge - RS,  He's going to be good one. Would like to see him get those five dates this season. Wrestled at STED. Looking forward to this kid. 

197 Gavin Hoffman - JR, Twenty one seed all the way to the Semifinals last season, then did the slide. Finished 6th place and surprised everyone. AA
197 Seth Shumate - RS, Buckeye fans were pretty excited about him a couple seasons ago. Local kid. Three-time DI State champion. 170-5 record. #19 overall recruit.

285 Tate Orndorrf - SR, Possible five time NQ. R16, 8th, R12. He's been serviceable. Not a world beater and 285 in the NCAA isn't a friendly place. AA
285 Nick Feldman - RS, He can only benefit from a RS. I hope he gets to wrestle in the five dates provided. He needs to get bigger, but his frame will dictate that and his frame is pretty damn stout. Parris, Hilger and Laird will be gone. Cass, Slavikouski and Davison will be SR's. Schultz, Kerk, Elam, Hendrickson, Fernandes and Luffman will all be around for a couple more years at least. I believe Feldman is going to be a great college 285. I'm not hanging any FS chains around him anytime soon and I'm not bothered by that.

I don't know if OSU gets a trophy this season.  We return every starting wrestler.  Ohio State is thin at 49/65/74. And we need 25/33 to work out for the Buckeyes to make a run in the future.  It's going to be exciting to be able to watch the RS's wrestle this year outside of the 'Open' circuit. 
That's all I got boys.

EDIT: 133 Mendez will be in the wrestle offs tomorrow against D. Koontz.  Wrestlestat shows Mendez as the starter and Bouzakis RS'ing. I thought it would be the other way around and I suppose it still may.

OSU is going to be a really exciting team.  Based on the talent you listed, they should be right up there competing with the perennial top dogs, Penn State and Iowa

The wildcard in all this may be the NIL transfers and how the use of one-year starters evolves.  Could we potentially see a "super team" ala the NBA in the next 10 years to someone with really deep pockets?

125 Gonzales  vs. Heinselman
133 Koontz  vs Mendez                                          
141 D'Emilio vs Decatur
157 Wilcox vs Paddy
165 Hepner vs Kharchla 
174 Smith vs Hall
184 Romero vs Bell
197 Shumate  vs Hoffman
285 Feldman vs Orndorff         

UPDATE

Orndorff and Misita wrestling. Feldman got a knock(looked like a stinger)early in the match Tuesday.

34 minutes ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

any results yet?

125 Gonzales  vs. Heinselman
133 Koontz  vs Mendez                                          
141 D'Emilio vs Decatur
157 Wilcox vs Paddy
165 Hepner vs Kharchla 
174 Smith vs Hall
184 Romero vs Bell
197 Shumate  vs Hoffman
285 Misita vs Orndorff  

125 | No. 11 Malik Heinselman (Gray) def. Andre Gonzales (Scarlet) | D, 3-2                  0          3
133 | Jesse Mendez (Scarlet) def. Dylan Koontz (Gray) | Fall, :58                                    6          3
141 | Jordan Decatur (Scarlet) def. No. 8 Dylan D’Emilio (Gray) | D, 4-3                         9          3
157 | No. 22 Paddy Gallagher (Gray) def. Isaac Wilcox (Scarlet) | D, 4-1                         9          6
165 | Bryce Hepner (Gray) def. No. 7 Carson Kharchla (Scarlet) vs. | D, 2-1                    9          9
174 | No. 6 Ethan Smith (Gray) def. Bryer Hall (Scarlet) | Fall, 2:27                                9          15
184 | No. 4 Kaleb Romero (Scarlet) def.  Gavin Bell (Gray) | TF, 24-8                             14        15
197 | No. 9 Gavin Hoffman (Gray) def. Seth Shumate (Scarlet) | MD, 8-0                        14        19
285 | No. 7 Tate Orndorff (Scarlet) def. Mike Misita (Gray) | Fall, 3:56                           20        19

Preliminary Bout Results (Oct. 25)

125 | Brady Koontz def. Brendan McCrone | D, 5-3
125 | Andre Gonzales def. Brady Koontz | D, 6-4, SV
133 | Dylan Koontz def. Alex Flerlage | D, 7-0
165 | Bryce Hepner def. Carter Chase | Fall, 3:44
197 | Seth Shumate def. Tyler Stein | Inj. Default
285 | Nick Feldman def. Mike Misita | D, 11-4

That's a great win for Jesse. Will be very interesting to see if they try to include him this year and make their best run, or hold him back with most of the other incoming superclass (OSU #1 Recruiting Class 2022) and setup for several runs at a championship in coming years

This is going to be a fun team to watch if Ryan can get these guys to gel together, continue to improve, and above all stay injury free!

1 hour ago, base said:

That's a great win for Jesse. Will be very interesting to see if they try to include him this year and make their best run, or hold him back with most of the other incoming superclass (OSU #1 Recruiting Class 2022) and setup for several runs at a championship in coming years

This is going to be a fun team to watch if Ryan can get these guys to gel together, continue to improve, and above all stay injury free!

Agree, and keep them from transferring. Jesse is a hammer. Hopefully it can be worked out that all are in agreement, with what ever they decide to do with all these elites from one class. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

Biggest surprise other than Sasso match was….. ? Didn’t think Crook would handle Bouzakis like he did . Never thought he Major him . My only take Out of VT vs OSU dual 

Sasso was as bad as Kharch was the week before. Hoffman bounced back nicely and Romero handled Bolen.

College guys are too good to give up a weight class to and Bouzakis is too small for 141.    D'Emilio was hurt and Decatur is in RS at the moment. Should have let a Koontz wrestle. Especially at home.

On 10/26/2022 at 4:10 PM, base said:

OSU is going to be a really exciting team.  Based on the talent you listed, they should be right up there competing with the perennial top dogs, Penn State and Iowa

The wildcard in all this may be the NIL transfers and how the use of one-year starters evolves.  Could we potentially see a "super team" ala the NBA in the next 10 years to someone with really deep pockets?

With 4/5 NCAA Champions many years recently, isn't that what Penn State has had?  Minus the deep pockets part?   ha ha

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 4:45 PM, Mphillips said:

Sasso was as bad as Kharch was the week before. Hoffman bounced back nicely and Romero handled Bolen.

College guys are too good to give up a weight class to and Bouzakis is too small for 141.    D'Emilio was hurt and Decatur is in RS at the moment. Should have let a Koontz wrestle. Especially at home.

Any hold outs from the Ryan corner this Friday at   Indiana? Or is Indiana going to get both barrels?