Program perception

I was wondering how others perceive programs, right or wrong perceptions ,D1 specifically, around the country. Can’t be your favorite because you are to familiar, and you know the reality. Iowa for example, I think they are the team that grinds every day in the room structured to the hilt , and has fun only because the boss says they are. And maybe everyone doesn’t necessarily get along with each other. Arizona State, they seem to be just a man short of breaking into the top two spots in the country ,kind of like Missouri was a few years ago, but seems to be attractive for transfers   and seem to have a more loose room. 
Ohio seems similar in that they’re always going to make a run for the top one or two spots ,next year. But has a softer practice room. 
P-State seems to have established an aura of being less structured ,and more of a, every man at his own pace, practice room. 
North Carolina, they are quietly building respect , with their success, as a program , not knowing much about how they go about their business in the room . 
Also I know these perceptions can and do effect recruiting. But what extent?