University of Michigan - 2022-23

Greetings All,

It is about that time.  Time to start 'theorizing' who is going to be where and what is going to happen.  Many schools are releasing their roster list, and boy do they look wrong.  The following is a 'break' 'down' of what it looks like.  I have a lot of insiders there still, and I know a lot of other people do as well who have reached out and sparked conversation.  There are still a lot of guys who can make an impact as well, who aren't at weight - nor have they decided to actually go the weight yet.

This is what the depth chart looks like right now, to me:

NAME, GRADE, W - L
J. Medley, Gr , 12 - 4
K. McHenry, R-Jr , 5 - 0
C. Tanefeu, R-Fr , 10 - 12
W. Tanefeu, R-Fr , 5 - 7
N. Wertanen, Tr-Fr, N/A

NAME, GRADE, W - L
Dylan Ragusin, R-So , 24 - 8
N. Jerore, Tr-Fr, N/A

NAME, GRADE, W - L
C. Kim, R-So , 9 - 4
C. Mattin, R-Jr , 10 - 6
P. Nolan, R-Jr , 6 - 8

NAME, GRADE, W - L
C. Lamer, R-Fr , 17 - 2
N. Freeman, R-Sr , 0 - 1
Z. Mattin, R-Fr , 4 - 1
A. Wesselman, R-Fr , 0 - 8

NAME, GRADE, W - L
W. Lewan, R-Sr , 21 - 7
F. Mayora, R-So , 5 - 3
J. Consuelos, R-Fr , 0 - 2

NAME, GRADE, 
C. Amine, R-Jr , 20 - 7

NAME, GRADE, W - L
J. Walker, R-So , 14 - 4
J. Bullock, R-So , 19 - 7
M. Maylor, R-Sr , 9 - 4
M. McKenna, R-So , 3 - 9
C. Khawaja, Tr-Fr, N/A

NAME, GRADE, W - L
M. Finesilver, Gr, 29 - 9
R. Rogers, Tr-Fr, N/A
J. Knudten, Tr-Fr, N/A

NAME, GRADE, W - L
B. Striggow, R-Sr , 12 - 13
B. Yatooma, R-So , 7 - 8
J. Cummings, Tr-Fr, N/A
L. Trost, Tr-Fr, N/A

NAME, GRADE, W - L
M. Parris, 5th, 20 - 6
B. Querio, R-Jr , 3 - 4
D. Khurshidov, R-Fr , 7 - 4
K. Nugent, R-Fr , 10 - 8
A. Jordan, R-Fr , 4 - 9
I. Jenkins, Tr-Fr, N/A

The following is the weight-by-weight discussion/breakdown:

This weight seems rather cut and dry.  It will be Medley.  I am not sure we will ever see McHenry as an active starter.  He has the skill, just not the size or strength.  Medley relies on strength and conditioning to win matches.  He isn't a large 125lber, though, so some of the high skill 125lbers that are also lacking in the size department (Heinselman) tend to do very well against him.  He can absolutely beat the likes of McKee and DeAuggie and place rather well... or he could lose to the Heinselmans.  I think we will see somewhere in the middle. Low AA to R12 type performance come NCAAs.

We may see one of the Tanefeu twins head up to 133.  No reason other than to not see each other again this season.  Neither are large enough for 133 right now, but neither were either of the Ohio State's Koontz twins.

Another clear cut and dry weight.  I don't see Ragusin going up to 141 (yet).  It should be his with very little resistance in-house.  I do think we will see him take another step up and become a bit more consistant against the likes of Byrd and McGee.  With Arujau potentially coming up, I do believe the ceiling is 4th for him, though.  I do expect him to finish in the mid-AA range this season.

Aside for Ragusin, like I said, one of the twins may come up and we also have Jerore on redshirt.  On the very small off-chance that he does go 141, there are only really two (2) options for UofM.  Somehow Kim drops back to 133 (he did start last season there) or we have McHenry go 125 and Medley go 133.  I don't see Medley NOT going 125 his senior season, though.

Our first weight where we just don't know what is going to happen (yet).  I expect a starter by committee.  I fully believe Cole Mattin is the best option, yet he may not 100% by the time the season starts.  You have Nolan, Kim, and perhaps even the youngest Mattin or even Freeman could make the drop.  To start the season I expect Kim and Nolan to exchange starts, with Mattin (Cole) assuming the role as starter before the season ends.  I don't know if we should expect any wins at NCAAs from him, but I do think we should expect him to qualify the weight.

Everyone here is right in that same ability level tier.  While Mattin isn't a sure fire AA, he does seem to have the highest valley.

There is an off-chance that Lamer decides to drop back down.  He didn't do too hot at 70 KG (154) and did have some struggles with mat wrestling at 149.  I do believe that whatever weight Lamer wants to go, the spot will end up being his and whoever is the best of the rest will be at the other 141/149 spot.

I think Lamer will be here and he has a rather high ceiling.  I don't see him breaking in to that 2nd or 3rd tier yet, but he could sneak in there in the low AA range.  I fully expect growing pains this year (not from necessarily growing, though) and we might see a season in which he comes on strong late, similar to Micic in 2016-17.  Give me a low AA to R12 finish for Lamer in his first season in the lineup.

If Lamer does head down to 141, which I doubt, we would see whoever was going 141 head up to 149 and give it a go.  Short of an incoming transfer late (Finesilver? hahaha), it is going to be Lamer at 149.

Unless Lewan heads down to 149 and Lamer goes 157, Lewan is going 157.  Lewan is a legitimate contender for a title this season.  He lost to Brayton Lee last year pre-injury but he beat Robb, who is the highest returning placer, a week or so before B1Gs.  Lewan wrestles close matches and it does bite him in the rump quite often.  I expect a 2-6 style finish here.  I just don't see him being able to not lose one match at NCAAs.

Aside for Lewan there really isn't much depth.  We have Mayora, who is more of a room guy and Riverdale Jr (Consuellos) who isn't even really that.  Not sure if either are going to be back at 157 this year, though.  I kind of expect Lamer to take over 157 after Lewan leaves.  Another guy who may come up is the youngest Mattin.  He was 126lbs his senior year in high school and went 149 last year, his redshirt year.  He may grow some more.

Amine is looking to go 74 KG (163lbs) for seniors and I don't really see any way he isn't going 165 this year.  He took some lumps early in the season due to injury, but really came on, even beating Lunchbox Mits (Marinelli) at NCAAs.  I don't favor him over Carr, but I do favor him over Monday.  While not flashy, he also holds the last wins over Hamiti and Kharchla.  The only guy I don't see him really having a chance against next season is O'Toole.  Add in that there are real threats coming off redshirt, to add to the depth, in Kennedy and Facundo and it makes 165 the weight to watch next season.  I do believe Amine will be right there, though, and expect a similar finish to Lewan in a 2-6 finish.

There is literally nobody else here at the weight.  I suppose there is a chance that Maylor or McKenna or Walker could drop to 165 if, for whatever reason, Amine were to go 174.  I just do not see it happening at all.  Even if Amine ends up needing the season due to injury, I think we'll see someone come up, maybe even from more than one weight class down.

This weight class has a lot of options, even if none are named Amine or ThugMassa G (Massa).  Myles Amine cited Walker as one of the main reasons he was able to perform how he did at the 2020(1) Olympic games.  That leaves me pretty damn high on him, too.  Add in that Bullock is just as legitimate an option to use at 174 and I am actually okay... even though I don't think we will see Bullock at 174 this year (more on that in a bit).  I do think that we might see a mix of Maylor and Walker to start the year, but by the time the season is winding down Walker will have cemented his spot (this will push Maylor in to making the drop to 165 for the 2023-2024 season, unless Walker makes the drop instead).  I do think Walker, depending on the draw, could win a match or two come NCAAs.  He needs one more season to get up into that low AA/R12 type guy, though.  I do hope I am wrong, though.

Walker will have four (4) years of eligibility and Maylor has a couple, too.  We are likely looking at four years of these two guys at 174 from here, which I am okay with.  There is a chance that Walker goes 184 and Finesilver goes 174, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Matt Finesilver is coming in.  CKWC is likely going to draw in quite a few transfers like that.  Finesilver has Senior level aspirations to represent Israel, so slotting in at 184 suites well for him, so he can go ahead and fill out for 86 KG (~189lbs).  With a change of scenery it isn't out of the realm of possibility to see him pull in a high AA while also going up in weight.  I don't think we will see a high AA, though.  I am thinking we see a low AA to R12 sort of performance.  Once again, I do hope I am wrong.

I do think after this year we will see Bullock slide in at 184lbs and not Rylan Rogers (WHAT?!).

I think this season we are going to see Bullock up at 197 this season (and drop back to 184 for 2023-2024 after Finesilver is gone).  I do think we will see a sort of 'by committee' approach with Striggow (if he is even back next year) and Yatooma as well to start the season, but Bullock cementing that he is clearly our best option.  Keep in mind he did go 184 at the end of last year and won the very prestigious Edinboro Open in his only 184lb action... ...  I do think 197 is a big bump for him, but I do see him being able to qualify the weight if he can get enough reps in.

I expect Rogers to slide in at 197 after his redshirt and man the spot for four (4) seasons with great success.

I think Stevesonson (Parris) is the second best 285lber in the country - when healthy.  Rumor is that he is.  That makes me absolutely thrilled.  He will still lose to his father, though.  Steveson is going to come back and Parris will cement himself as the #2 heavyweight in the country.

Behind him it is looking like our future is Ira Jenkins?  He is a heavyweight that moves like a 174lber.  He needs more size, though, and it needs to be appropriate size (like Parris).  Not many can 'poof' up like that, though.

Team Outlook:

I think we are looking at anywhere from 7-9 qualifiers.  I think our weakest points to do so are 141, 149, 174, and 197.  I expect 149 to qualify and have high hopes for 174.  141 and 197 are the biggest question marks.  So if we are giving 149/174 ~75% chance of making it then I would say 141 and 197 each have ~50% to make it.  That leaves me sitting at 8 or 9.  Flip a coin and I am at 8.  Once again, I do hope I am wrong.

Looking at no champions and anywhere from 4-6 AAs on top of that.  Will that be enough to sneak another trophy out?  Only if we get peak performance out of everyone who qualifies with maximum points.

Keep in mind, gents, that these are my thoughts.  Ya'll can have differing opinions.  I would appreciate you airing them.

Discuss.

Edited by nhs67

Disclaimers:

- I originally posted this in themat.com college forums August 22nd

- TheMat is ceasing it's support and operations if their forums at 12:00 PM NOON on 10/31/22 later this month

- I enjoy posts like this, as well as discussing them, I do hope it is okay to be here, I am a middling/average poster over there

Tweaks:

- I think Parris will show that he is the #1 this year, with Steveson not being there

- Less confident about Bullock going 197 this year than I was two months ago, what I've heard is that he is pretty close to 174 already

Looking at where they certified is interesting.  Keep in mind these are where they weighed for their certified test, not where they are specifically going to wrestle.  If someone weighs in at 165.1, they will show as 174.  So Will Lewan weighed somewhere between 165.1 and 174.0 whereas Cam Amine weighed somewhere between 157.1 and 165.0.

NONE

Wilfried Tanefeu

Jack Medley

Kurt McHenry

Nolan Wertanen

Christian Tanefeu

Christopher Kim

Dylan Ragusin

Nathan Jerore

Cole Mattin

Pat Nolan

Fidel Mayora

Chance Lamer

Cameron Amine

Alex Wesselman

Zack Mattin

Will Lewan

Joaquin Consuelos

Codei Khawaja

Joseph Walker

Max Maylor

Matt McKenna

Josh Knudten

Rylan Rogers

Jaden Bullock

Matt Finesilver

Brendin Yatooma

Lance Trost

Blake Querio

Keegan Nugent

Dzhabrail Khurshidov

Bob Striggow

Austin Jordan

Mason Parris

Ira Jenkins

Jack Cummings

2 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

@nhs67 curious why you think Steveson is coming back. Is it a gut call? A hope? A feeling? Based on reading tea leaves/between the lines? Or something else?

I thought so then.  If you see my reply I have since thought otherwise.  Add in that he is currently like 60 minutes from me training to be the next Triple H, and there you have it.

Edit: OP was basically a copy/paste from my TheMat thread OP.

Edited by nhs67

1 hour ago, MattM said:

May as well copy it while you still can. 😪

Pretty sure a few of us have either archived it or at the very least saved all the gold.

JB did say that we should be able to view it still, though?  Unsure at what capacity, though.