Iran wrestling news

9 hours ago, kkiane said:

So they won’t count towards team rankings right? They can’t beat Iran and USA in the team rankings?

Even though they won’t be in the team race will be great to see Russia back, honestly we alone didn’t have enough last year to make it interesting against the Americans.

Worlds will be crazy with unseeded Russians popping up all over the place. 65 in particular, Rahman will have unseeded Otoguro and let’s assume Mamedov thrown in there somewhere.

9 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I’m throwing Emami in this list too, he had very close matches with Dake and Sidakov. And personally though I’ve seen him get some criticism I do consider AM Yazdani a gold contender. Some of the stuff we’ve seen him do on the mat is genuine top level - just needs a decent draw and to keep his head for two days.

Agreed with AM yazdani. That's why I put him in. Plus 70 shouldn't have anyone who is unbeatable.

Emami is making great progress, but I still think it would be massive upset if he manages to get through all the others at 74 to get gold. Not impossible, just would be an upset imo. The others I listed some may be underdogs but it wouldn't shock me if they get gold. It would pleasantly surprise me however if Emami can. Either way Iran has one of the strongest teams they ever have had and should be getting 7 to 8 medals imo at least.

Edited by Uwwdoc

I think it’s been announced that we’ll send a few wrestlers to Hungary, like Uwwdoc said, but it seems to be another selection process.

We’re sending:

Ahmad Javan and Valizadeh

Bakhshi and Yazdani

Nokhodi and Savadkouhi

Azimi and Ghasempour

My question is what happens if for example Nokhodi and Savadkouhi face each other and Nokhodi wins this time. Does that even it out or does Nokhodi just go to the world champs?

15 hours ago, kkiane said:

I think it’s been announced that we’ll send a few wrestlers to Hungary, like Uwwdoc said, but it seems to be another selection process.

We’re sending:

Ahmad Javan and Valizadeh

Bakhshi and Yazdani

Nokhodi and Savadkouhi

Azimi and Ghasempour

My question is what happens if for example Nokhodi and Savadkouhi face each other and Nokhodi wins this time. Does that even it out or does Nokhodi just go to the world champs?

Yeah, expected such a thing for the selection process but I'm surprised with the Nokhodi/Savadkouhi decision to be honest, I thought they would do this for Goleij/Azarpira instead, not sure why they would do it for Nokhodi/Savadkouhi and not Goleij/Azarpira. Also they aren't doing at 65 for the final 2 either. Seems that things are getting decided as we go along.

Draws are out for Kyrgyzstan tournament and our guys have some really tough draws, but also some really exciting ones.

MR Geraei faces the guy who teched him last time in the first round.

Alizadeh vs Cengiz.

High possibility of Basar vs MA Geraei.

High possibility of Abuladze vs Khoon Mohammadi.

High possibility of Dadmarz facing Bekbolatov or Tsurtsumia.

Mohsennejad faces 4th ranked Liguo Cao in first round.

High possibility of Sohrabi vs Khetsuriani.

A pretty high possibility of Mohmadipiani vs Bolkvadze.

Some very intriguing matches. The most so being Khoon Mohammadi vs Abuladze, a true litmus test.

12 hours ago, kkiane said:

Some very intriguing matches. The most so being Khoon Mohammadi vs Abuladze, a true litmus test.

Love to see it! Will be great experience to see where he’s at seeing as he just came up short against Mammadov.

Iran sent basically its strongest team possible to this tournament 

Dadmarz forfeited, presume he got injured in the first match?

Mohsennejad lost 3-3* to Bakhramov, who on his day is the best in the world but is very inconsistent 

Mohammadi lost 5-6 to Abuladze at 63kg (multiple time world medalist), he is only 21 so it's a good performance

So far Sohrabi is the breakout star, reaching the final at 67kg. Now between 63kg and 67kg we have Nejati Dalkhani Mohammadi Geraei and Sohrabi (and others)... The strongest are Dalkhani and Geraei but after Paris lets see what Mohammadi and Sohrabi can do

Alizadeh lost to Cengiz in the first round at 87kg, that's still our weakest GR weight class by far

Saravi showed he is still our #1 at 97kg and reached the final after defeating Balihamzehdeh comfortably. Saravi is still the #3 in the world after Evloev and Aleksanyan, I think he can win another Gold once Aleksanyan retires (maybe after Paris) or starts to decline (he is 31 but has had a long career already)

Mirzazadeh reaches the final against Cuban Pino who is entering his peak. So far Mirzazadeh showed that he's the most consistent HW we have  

Edited by The Genius

Oh my goshhh…Geraei got pinned after a crazy action on the edge, thankfully overruled on the challenge as Abuladze was already out of bounds. Ends up winning 9-3 but once again gave up a point on a meaningless challenge, something he def needs to fix.

2 hours ago, kkiane said:

MR Geraei gets pinned by the same guy he got teched by last time, but he challenges, wins the challenge reversing the pin, then wins 9-3. 

He managed to challenge a pin???

Just now, kmrabr said:

MA Geraei does it again, trailing Liu 6-0 hits a beautiful head and arm straight to pin!!

It’s almost as if he knew, he was speaking to someone behind the camera.