December Wildcard Team State Question

Hey Y'all. 

Quick question as we start to head into the season. 

Is there specific criteria that the wild card voting will be based on? Or is it more focused on winning percentage? Or up to the committee's discretion? 

We overhauled Chatard's schedule to put us in a position to get there. I am just curious of the criteria/ who does the voting. Want to make sure I am sharing all the relevant info to get us in the mix. 
We see: 
Cascade (1A Qualifier) 
Hamilton Heights (2A Qualifier) 
Delta (2A Qualifier) 
Cathedral (4A Qualifier) 
Monrovia (Ended the season ranked 8 at 2A)
Owen Valley (Ended the season ranked 9 at 2A) 
Then throw in North Central and the Indianapolis City tournament and that is a wild first half of the season. 

The "If you're undefeated you should make it" is the obvious response here.  So please don't share that wisdom. 

Share all your results! You don't haver to be spotless but winning those duals against other 2A schools that are the mix is huge. I personally think us beating Centerville and South Adams the week before the voting was a huge factor for us getting in last year, but I am not on the committee so I can't tell you for sure. You definitely have put your team in a position to get the looks with the schedule you have!

Good luck coach! Hope you enjoy the hospitality room December 3rd! 🤣

8 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

What's the IHSAA's excuse for not adopting it (IHSWCA Team State duals) this year? Might become just as popular as the basketball tournament?

They won't adopt it. If they were going to would've happened years ago. Faulkens and the IHSAA will not class individual sports in any way. In some ways it sucks but I love our single class state tournament and hope it never changes.

9 hours ago, QuinnHarris said:

They won't adopt it. If they were going to would've happened years ago. Faulkens and the IHSAA will not class individual sports in any way. In some ways it sucks but I love our single class state tournament and hope it never changes.

Team Dual wrestling shouldn't be part of the individual aspect of the sport. No reason you can't have classed team duals and single class individual tournaments ran by the IHSAA & IHSWCA doing them both together. Time to get with the future. No reason other sports tournaments aren't seede either. It's all been done before in other areas. Pure laziness. 

6 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Team Dual wrestling shouldn't be part of the individual aspect of the sport. No reason you can't have classed team duals and single class individual tournaments ran by the IHSAA & IHSWCA doing them both together. Time to get with the future. No reason other sports tournaments aren't seede either. It's all been done before in other areas. Pure laziness. 

I feel like from an IHSAA perspective it opens a huge can of worms for classed state tournaments in other “individual” sports like track, swimming, etc.

1 hour ago, Nate Spangle said:

I feel like from an IHSAA perspective it opens a huge can of worms for classed state tournaments in other “individual” sports like track, swimming, etc.

No reason not to if Carmel wins swimming all the time (no offense just an example).

On 10/7/2022 at 3:01 PM, Nate Spangle said:

Hey Y'all. 

Is there specific criteria that the wild card voting will be based on? Or is it more focused on winning percentage? Or up to the committee's discretion? 

We overhauled Chatard's schedule to put us in a position to get there. I am just curious of the criteria/ who does the voting. Want to make sure I am sharing all the relevant info to get us in the mix. 
We see: 
Cascade (1A Qualifier) 
Delta (2A Qualifier) 
Cathedral (4A Qualifier) 
Then throw in North Central and the Indianapolis City tournament and that is a wild first half of the season. 

The "If you're undefeated you should make it" is the obvious response here.  So please don't share that wisdom. 

I’m on the voting committee and we try to look at the “bubble” teams to see who is the best team that most deserves to be in the tournament. We look to see who has the most impressive results against teams that are at the team state level. When teams’ schedules don’t have common opponents, it gets difficult but everyone is trying their best to represent the tournament as best we can. 

As Coach Harris said, Cascade had some nice wins against teams competitive at the team state level. My team last year was fortunate to have some dual wins the day before the voting that looked favorable and allowed us to get the very circumstantial second vote in.

I would say your schedule additions put more of your fate in your own hands so to speak, but obviously you can’t wrestle every team in the state before the end of December.

We all vote individually, so this is my perspective and not necessarily everyone’s opinion. We do discuss and share as much information as we can. To help yourself out for the voting, post your results on this website and track wrestling. 

Good luck 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:01 PM, Nate Spangle said:

Hey Y'all. 

We see: 
Cascade (1A Qualifier) 
Delta (2A Qualifier) 
Cathedral (4A Qualifier) 

Coach Cook said it all really, but things that have been important were:

going out and wrestling those teams that you might be compared to. It's hard to change your schedule each year for that, but it's not difficult to make sure your are getting meaningful results. Putting yourself in tournaments that give us something to base you off of.

Having a full lineup is a big deal too. We all know that weak spots in the lineup can consistently put you behind in duals, but forfeits are guaranteed points behind. 

Good luck!