Roster Sizes / Sharing a Room with Middle School

QuinnHarris

Hey everyone season is approaching an I am looking at my numbers and we are having a huge increase this year!

Last year day one we had 13 kids at practice. I begged the boys to bring friends and find more kids to join the wrestling family. By the following Friday we had 20 kids and held strong there all season.

Today I am going through FinalForms looking at my roster and I have 34 kids!!

I know my Freshman year at Avon we had over 80 kids and had to do half of our practice in the field house!

Wondering what everyones program number look like.

Also wondering how many schools share their wrestling room with their Middle School team! We do and this year the room is going to be PACKED!

3 minutes ago, nk140 said:

I know Edgewood had similar numbers to Cascade.  I think we had 30+ kids in a single mat wrestling room last year.  Tight is an understatement.  If numbers are higher this year, I believe the Jr High coach will have to get creative on practice.

See we are very lucky we have a big room but once January comes and we have 30 MS kids in there as well it is definitely tight to say the least!

Adams Central hovers around 22-25 on the high school roster. We likely will be over 30 this year. We also share a room with the MS once they fire up in January (another 30 or so). We had always practiced in the corner of our PE gym. We were fortunate to get 1/2 the PE gym in the renovations about 3 years ago and got our first ever wrestling room after 50 years of the program. Now we have about 3 1/2 full mats with an office and large storage area.

That has helped tremendously with practices.  

26 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

See we are very lucky we have a big room but once January comes and we have 30 MS kids in there as well it is definitely tight to say the least!

Luckily we don't have to share facilities with the HS.  The HS has almost 2 full mat room.

Edited by nk140

14 minutes ago, jetwrestling said:

Adams Central hovers around 22-25 on the high school roster. We likely will be over 30 this year. We also share a room with the MS once they fire up in January (another 30 or so). We had always practiced in the corner of our PE gym. We were fortunate to get 1/2 the PE gym in the renovations about 3 years ago and got our first ever wrestling room after 50 years of the program. Now we have about 3 1/2 full mats with an office and large storage area.

That has helped tremendously with practices.  

Now that is SOLID!

New Albany is looking to have 40+ this year.  Our facility has 1 and 2/3 of mat space with 2 locker rooms and a weightlifting area.  The facility is in a basement area, so it is dedicated to us, we have the older large mats laid out for practice and four light weight mats for meets.  Our middle schools are away from the high school, so they practice there, except during winter break when advanced wrestlers come up to the high school.

Corydon JH had ~40 last year, hoping for same, HS has around 25 at the moment, hoping 30ish to hang around.  We share a designated facility w/2 full mats space.  It’s tight, years past we practice together, but if all the numbers come out we may have to have separate practice times.  A good problem to have indeed!

Our numbers are all over the map, but right now about 14 are signed up for varsity...hopefully we can keep about half. We generally have between 12 and 20 for MS. We started a school-sponsored 4th/5th grade team last year with Triton (and guest appearances from Knox, Glenn, Valley) that had about ten. We also have intramural wrestling for grades K-3, and that has about 40 signed up this year. We are starting a girls team this year, but only about 4 on that and they'll practice in the same time and space as the boys. We have one real wrestling room and one kinda rigged up wrestling room next door. We can't have one big one because the wall separating them is load bearing. Our problem isn't so much space as it is the fact that I am head coach for the varsity boys, varsity girls, intramural, 4th/5th, MS, and club teams. Our AD says that he'll coach MS if his son tries it out this year...so, If you know Mike Zehner, tell his oldest to give the sport a shot, haha.

Wow, now that I read it back, that answer was really long.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:50 PM, busstogate said:

Has to suck pulling up all of the tables and having to put mats out daily, unless you have some quick Velcro Dollamurs or similar.

They don't bother moving the tables. That's why the Prairie Heights freshmen are so tough.

We just got approval today to move our MS practice to their cafeteria so that we didn't have to stagger practice times and affect our youth schedule. Wont be fun moving mats daily but I will be happy that both teams will have plenty of room for practice!

My son knew that he had it great at Warren Central. I am not sure of the number since he graduated long enough ago that I am now very old. But they have a full wresting room with 3+ mats, its own temperature control, a locker room and an office. It was when he started to visit colleges that he saw how great it was in High school. I hope all of you get the rooms you need and deserve.