New Team State Locations

QuinnHarris

They announced the Team State locations!

1A/3A Franklin Community (I am being told 1A will be on 6 mats in the field house, and 3A will be in the main gym.)

2A Jay County

4A Brownsburg

Think we will keep changing locations until they find the perfect combinations to adequately accommodate all classes! 

Thank you to all of those that are apart of the coaches association and have helped build this tournament up.

49 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

1A/3A Franklin Community (I am being told 1A will be on 6 mats in the field house, and 3A will be in the main gym.)

2A Jay County

4A Brownsburg

Think we will keep changing locations until they find the perfect combinations to adequately accommodate all classes! 

Thank you to all of those that are apart of the coaches association and have helped build this tournament up.

The field house will have plenty of space for 6 mats.  I hope they bring in more seating for teams and fans.  Rochester asked to host it this year.  We have two gyms big enough to hold it and plenty of seating.  Frustrating we weren't at least considered or communicated with before a decision was made.  1A deserves it's own venue.

12 minutes ago, Clint Gard said:

The field house will have plenty of space for 6 mats.  I hope they bring in more seating for teams and fans.  Rochester asked to host it this year.  We have two gyms big enough to hold it and plenty of seating.  Frustrating we weren't at least considered or communicated with before a decision was made.  1A deserves it's own venue.

Agree with needing its own venue but I think doing it in 2 gyms does things a disservice personally. We are wrestling for a state title. All sites should be in their own gym. One big issue is you cant fit 6 mats with chairs for teams on any main gym floor in Indiana which pushes things towards a field house. Another big issue is it is hard to get a school like Center Grove or Avon to let the IHSWCA host a tournament at their school that they wont participate in.

100% agree they better get more seating in there. IMO the bleachers at Franklin are much smaller than what was available at Martinsville last year however this year there will only be 6 mats down instead of 8 and it is a bigger field house.

All in all still very pleased with the IHSWCA for continuing to try to improve upon this event and give schools of all sizes a chance to compete for a team state title!

Franklins fieldhouse will have plenty of room. They hold Elementary team state the next day and it is great. I personally like having it at franklin, mainly for the reason I have to be there the next day for elementary team state. Their field house has bleachers.

15 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

Franklins fieldhouse will have plenty of room. They hold Elementary team state the next day and it is great. I personally like having it at franklin, mainly for the reason I have to be there the next day for elementary team state. Their field house has bleachers.

I know its a big field house but seating matters!! Look at the fans standing around the mat and even standing in the halls watching through a window! Hopefully they will bring in plenty of extra seating in so fans have plenty of space!

I know they host elementary state but team state attracts quite a crowd!

87A48DFA-483E-46C6-A75D-802CE9049A75.jpeg

30 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

I know its a big field house but seating matters!! Look at the fans standing around the mat and even standing in the halls watching through a window! Hopefully they will bring in plenty of extra seating in so fans have plenty of space!

I know they host elementary state but team state attracts quite a crowd!

87A48DFA-483E-46C6-A75D-802CE9049A75.jpeg

If 1A is the only class in the fieldhouse, there will be plenty of room. 3A had plenty of room the last 2 years we were there (in the fieldhouse)

30 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

If 1A is the only class in the fieldhouse, there will be plenty of room. 3A had plenty of room the last 2 years we were there (in the fieldhouse)

I believe that is their plan. Just hoping they bring in some extra bleacher seating! I know there will be a ton of standing room as well in the field house.

I would love to see this at the Warren field house. They do not offer the number of seats, I am not sure that many places do, but they can fit 14 mats on the floor, with some temp bleachers. Still not enough seating, but it would allow all the mats to be in one area. Or they could place the 4A in the main gym and keep the other classes in the fieldhouse.

On 9/29/2022 at 8:06 AM, Y2CJ41 said:

The coliseum is a nice venue.....

Agreed. There's just not much goin on in Fort Wayne is all ya know. 

On 10/5/2022 at 7:21 PM, Trinedad said:

I would love to see this at the Warren field house. They do not offer the number of seats, I am not sure that many places do, but they can fit 14 mats on the floor, with some temp bleachers. Still not enough seating, but it would allow all the mats to be in one area. Or they could place the 4A in the main gym and keep the other classes in the fieldhouse.

It's absurd it's not at Warren. The Fieldhouse, the dome by football field easily if need some more space. Could get more bleachers and bigger ones too. People could bring own chairs to put on top level and sit. Tons to do in Indy too, very center of state. Nothin better than a Waffle House breakfast there at 21st and Post before some awesome wrestling!

On 10/5/2022 at 7:21 PM, Trinedad said:

14 mats isn't enough for this event though 1A and 2A are 12 mats alone. Then you need 4 mats for both 3A and 4A. So if you want one building you need 20 mats with room mat side at each mat for teams to sit, and enough room for ALOT of wrestling fans from all over the state. I think there are a lot of things you could do to make this better but I believe it is getting closer to the best product as the years go on. The coaches association does a good job of making changes as they see fit. 

On 10/3/2022 at 5:53 AM, Blane Culp said:

It is really nice. Even if it were just 1 and 2a in there. How many FW area and/or semi state teams are already in the team state for those two classes? 13 of the 22? 

Needs to be in the main arena like the FW SS is and not the expo hall.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:03 AM, QuinnHarris said:

2A Jay County

4A Brownsburg

This seems a lot like last year! 

Can't understand why they are still using 3 locations! 

Please for the love don't tell me COVID

9 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

This seems a lot like last year! 

Can't understand why they are still using 3 locations! 

Please for the love don't tell me COVID

Well lots goes into it... but 1 location or 4 we're still going to have several upset it's not where they want it.

But we are commonly asked to centralize the tournaments. We've tried to do that often at several complexes, but can't do that without losing lots of money.

Team tournaments are very different than a tournament that are "pay per entrant". 

Fort Wayne was very cost efficient, but not centrally located. 

This set-up is different than last year and I think a better option.

Last year 1A and 2A were in one location; which is 24 teams, which was a 12 mat setup (8 in the fieldhouse and 4 in the gym).

This year 1A and 3A are together, which is 20 teams, which is a 10 mat setup (6 in the fieldhouse and 4 in the gym).

There are some ideas already being tossed out there next year to centrally locate it and try and have more classes together, but it's not an easy process.

I won't say we are exempt from mistakes, but we keep trying to improve and have a lot of people working on this tournament that just love the sport/ tournament.

Always welcome for constructive ideas to consider, but we are always working through several scenarios.